Menu

skill-based toy ideas for ds9

EmilyGF

Hi all,

DS8 (almost 9) has been disappointed in the last few gifts he's gotten, and I think the pattern is that he masters them too easily. The last two things he's gotten where he's expressed regret at wanting them were a Hoverboard (thankfully that was a hand-me-down from a neighbor going to college) and Beyblads. 

I think he'd enjoy something with more skill. He's really physically- and mentally-gifted, so challenging him is hard. 

Some things he does:

- he learned to bike at 2. He can unicycle and skateboard. (The unicycle was mine as a child and he bought the skateboard with his own money.)

- he likes puzzles and games. I don't think he'd do a puzzle more than a few times. Maybe a Rubix cube, but his big brother was into those before so it might feel too competitive. Favorite games are two-player games like Patchwork and Heck Meck.

- karate

- building and heavy labor (but we live in a city and don't have a garage. dh is not at all handy, nor am I.)

Ideas?

Emily

snap circuits. - radio kit

crystal radio kit

wooden puzzles  - linked to a wooden geared clock  (they also make a marble roller coaster)  wide variety of 'subjects'.

When 1ds was nine (he had to remind me he really nine) - I gave him a bunch of  used computers.  He could take them apart, put them together - and learned a lot about the components that make computers work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

Favorite games are two-player games

You might want to lean in on the games but move up the age. He's probably ready for Agricola, Rivals for Catan, Ticket to Ride, etc. 

Around that age we started giving my ds tools, things that would last a long time. So you said skills, but that's another way to go is life skills, occupational skills. Pocket knives, a whittling kit, power tools, whatever you can facilitate with skills he can learn. Timberdoodle used to sell an engine you could take apart. That could be another direction. Like the computer/electronics disassembly idea. 

You're saying not to be competitive with the brother, and I was going to suggest something competitive, hahaha. But maybe go cup stacking instead? That way the brother will try to keep up with him. Then another year go with the rubix cube/speed cubing. 

And totally in the non competitive but fun, how about making balloon animals or magic tricks? You can find dvds for them.

Hanayama has metal puzzles that come at a variety of levels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

When 1ds was nine (he had to remind me he really nine) - I gave him a bunch of  used computers.  He could take them apart, put them together - and learned a lot about the components that make computers work.

I think I wasn't clear.  He would take parts from one computer, put them in another computer.  He had a working computer when he was done.

ETA: I've a friend whose husband was a gifted mechanic.  When he was 12 - his parents gave him a broken engine (lawnmower?  similar) - they couldnt' get it fixed, I don't know the reason for giving it to him - he had it working by the end of the day.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Does he like to build things? Maybe he could start building up a collection of tools, and you could give him gift certificates for hardware stores so he could plan and create projects out of the materials he likes to work with (e.g., wood, metal, stone). 

My favourite board game for 2 is Labyrinth Duo. My dd loves Dutch Blitz. Chess, backgammon, euchre, cribbage are all great 2-person games.

Does he like jigsaw puzzles? That's something I really liked a puzzle-oriented but not athletic kid. 

How about those metal puzzle things you have to take apart and put together? (Like, metal pieces that are "hooked" together -- ever seen those?) 

Oh, how about a book of magic tricks with sleight of hand, like with cards? There are some crazy physical skills with card tricks... my advisor at Stanford could riffle shuffle a deck of cards so that the cards from the left and right half were perfectly alternated. (He was a magician in a former career, lol.) 

Juggling equipment.  The challenge level increases as the tricks get fancier.  May be can juggle while unicycling!

Kapla.  One of those classics that looks like nothing but is really quite something.  Looks like a box of kindling - but it's so open ended.  Check out some of Benjamin Crouzier's videos.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, wathe said:

Juggling equipment.  The challenge level increases as the tricks get fancier.  May be can juggle while unicycling!

Kapla.  One of those classics that looks like nothing but is really quite something.  Looks like a box of kindling - but it's so open ended.  Check out some of Benjamin Crouzier's videos.

Yeah, ds15 was really into juggling and yoyo-ing, so that makes this a little trickier. He really looks up to his older brother and compares himself with him. I'm worried it'll be frustrating to him. But maybe. Magic might be nice because ds15 never got into that.

@PeterPan He loves Catan and similar games, but the issue is that they are too long to get people in our busy household to play with him on a regular basis. Patchwork is great because you can finish a game in about 15 minutes. He generally plays games 5 years ahead of his age. He played 1000 games of Patchwork against himself as a 3-year-old, standing up and moving from side to side while playing. He much prefers to play against someone, though, hence the need for short games!

9 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

Yeah, ds15 was really into juggling and yoyo-ing, so that makes this a little trickier. He really looks up to his older brother and compares himself with him. I'm worried it'll be frustrating to him. But maybe. Magic might be nice because ds15 never got into that.

@PeterPan He loves Catan and similar games, but the issue is that they are too long to get people in our busy household to play with him on a regular basis. Patchwork is great because you can finish a game in about 15 minutes. He generally plays games 5 years ahead of his age. He played 1000 games of Patchwork against himself as a 3-year-old, standing up and moving from side to side while playing. He much prefers to play against someone, though, hence the need for short games!

What about chess or go and looking for online platforms so he can play as much as he wants.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

He much prefers to play against someone, though, hence the need for short games!

Then maybe switch it and play online or against AI. Civ, chess, most of the board games have app versions. The app of Agricola is terrific. There are also app versions of Forbidden Island, etc. that can be played solo.

• Like 1

Just now, PeterPan said:

Then maybe switch it and play online or against AI. Civ, chess, most of the board games have app versions. The app of Agricola is terrific. There are also app versions of Forbidden Island, etc. that can be played solo.

I used to play LOTS of Agricola with friends in grad school. It's a good game! 

• Like 1

Would he like the game so Onitama? My ds8 loves patchwork and also likes that one (and it is quick). My DS8 also loves The Quest for El Dorado and I don’t think it takes much longer than patchwork. 

He got gravitrax for his birthday. He is getting the solo game Dog Crimes for Christmas. 

Pogo stick, ripstik, and rollerblades get a lot of use here.

8 hours ago, lovinmyboys said:

Would he like the game so Onitama? My ds8 loves patchwork and also likes that one (and it is quick). My DS8 also loves The Quest for El Dorado and I don’t think it takes much longer than patchwork. 

He got gravitrax for his birthday. He is getting the solo game Dog Crimes for Christmas. 

Pogo stick, ripstik, and rollerblades get a lot of use here.

I've never heard of Onitama. The short length might be just right!

Wow, he would love a ripstik. Not sure I can handle that right now, though.

I think he'll be getting juggling balls. We'll see about other things.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

I've never heard of Onitama. The short length might be just right!

Wow, he would love a ripstik. Not sure I can handle that right now, though.

I think he'll be getting juggling balls. We'll see about other things.

Thanks!

Onitama is a big hit here.  One thing we like is that it’s got enough randomness that my strategy game whiz didn’t win every time.  Just most of the time.