Menu

Reusable wrapping - anyone else doing that this year?

Laura Corin

I've finally gone for it - the supplier I had my eye on has a 3-for-2 sale on at present.  I've bought six little bags and six medium.  We may have to top that up, but I'm thinking about buying fun reusable ribbons and using magazine pages for any extras.  Seeing mounds of discarded paper, especially foiled and glittered paper that can't be recycled, makes me sad every year.

https://www.wragwrap.com/stretch-fabric-wrap/

• Like 7

I haven’t used wrapping paper in years. I have an assortment of bags and boxes that we reuse—I even have a couple fabric bags that my mom made and used when I as a kid in the '70s. For ribbon I use knitting yarn. 🙂

I get sad seeing all the waste every year too. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm happy to flat-wrap but the rest of my family will be happy to be released from that.

Yeah, wrapping is literally the most stressful part of the holidays for me, I really can’t stand it. Bags and boxes are my perfect solution, I even keep the tissue paper inside from year to year lol. DH loves to wrap and is very good at it, so most of the job used to fall to him until I converted him to reusable options.  🙂

• Like 1

I'm in the process of making reusable quilted fabric gift bags of various sizes by using up some of my quilting scraps. I plan to have them ready for next year. This year is a "use it up" year for the last of the wrapping paper.

A friend of mine made a large Santa Sacks for each member of her family.  She collected a variety of beautiful velvet(ish) drapes at second hand stores in different shades to coordinate with her Christmas decor.  She added different pretty trims and wide ribbons to them to distinguish between them. She hates to wrap and wanted something reusable. They're charming.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

I haven’t used wrapping paper in years. I have an assortment of bags and boxes that we reuse—I even have a couple fabric bags that my mom made and used when I as a kid in the '70s. For ribbon I use knitting yarn. 🙂

I get sad seeing all the waste every year too. 

Ditto.  We haven't used paper in forever.  We have fabric bags and velvet boxes from our wedding.   Not seeing the waste is great.  But honestly it is a billion times easier to "wrap" presents.    I am sure that you save money over time too. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

Yeah, wrapping is literally the most stressful part of the holidays for me, I really can’t stand it. Bags and boxes are my perfect solution, I even keep the tissue paper inside from year to year lol. DH loves to wrap and is very good at it, so most of the job used to fall to him until I converted him to reusable options.  🙂

I stink at wrapping presents too, but furoshiki is so simple even my wrapping job looks nice. 

I am intrigued by @Laura Corin’s fabric tubes though...  I might sew some up to give it a try. 

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 2

Laura,  I started reusing our "Christmas gift bags" about 10-12 years ago.  It sounds cheap.  I don't care.  I just can't see using the bag one time and contributing to the landfill.  If the bags have really been torn or broken down over the years, I discard.  If they are in good condition, I keep.  

The fabric idea- just go to a fabric store and buy fabric.  Buy jute, different colored laces, etc and make your own perhaps.  Just a thought.