Menu

self-paced pre-calc?

This is the first time I've had to shop for pre-calc. 🙈 The Marine dual enrolled for this level but it's not currently an option for this kiddo. 

Anyone have a pre-calc to recommend that grades automatically but remains self-paced? Like TT I guess, but based on reviews TT wouldn't be a great fit. I think she'd settle for a clear textbook with answers to lessons in the back, but she specifically asked for automatic grading if possible. A human to contact if stuck (that's not me) could be useful, but she never really admits to being stuck anyway...

This is for my junior, who is going to finish Larson's alg 2 around Christmas break. She's fiercely independent and gets As and Bs on chapter tests this way. The only time she had a rough score she drilled herself relentlessly on that chapter until she could ace the test. (Her senior brother and I discuss and/or work math together daily, but she'd want to take sporks to her eyes with that much interaction.)

• Like 1

I highly recommend Derek Owens.  There are three types of assignments--practice problems, what he calls "homework" and I call quizzes, and tests/exams.  Practice problems are checked by the student.  In the precalculus class, they come out of a textbook so you need to obtain a copy.  The "homework"/quizzes and tests/exams are graded by Mr. Owens or one of his assistants.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are huge Derek Owens fans here!  You can work through them as quickly or slowly as you want.  You can also start the courses whenever you want.  (Mid year, summer, etc.). He grades homework and tests meticulously and quickly.  And he is always available via email to answer any questions.   

Edited by TheAttachedMama
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, TheAttachedMama said:

We are huge Derek Owen's fans here!  You can work through them as quickly or slowly as you want.  You can also start them whenever you want too.  (Mid year, summer, etc.). He grades homework and tests meticulously and quickly.  And he is always available via email to answer any questions.   

They also have a policy where you only pay for 9 months and then you keep access but don't have to pay more. Conversely, a motivated student could finish the class in less than 9 months and also then stop paying.

(AttachedMama, i just quoted you for loose continuity)

Edited by SusanC
still looking for mind-body coordination this morning
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first part of my response is that you need something similar to what my DD took, which is an Asynchronous course from TTUISD (now TTU-K12).   My impression is that a lot of Home Schoolers, including some who participate in WTM have their DC take some courses from TTUISD.

Most importantly, as with any subject, it is better not just to prepare to pass some test. I believe there is a phrase among Educators about the "illusion of mastery" or something like that?

My DD took the Pre Calc course when she was a Senior and then when she was a Freshman in university, she could not get into the Calc 1 course in her university.  The next semester she took Math 231 and got an A or an A-  (( forget what her grade was).  Not an easy course...

Good luck to your DD!

Edited by Lanny
Add word "not"
  • Thanks 1

I'll show her DO this week. She is one that tends to finish courses early when left to her own devices. 👍 I like the active other human part. I'm comfortable going through alg 2 with them but past that I'm not the most reliable. 

And I'll look up TTU-K12 and Thinkwell. 

Fwiw we're not aiming at a test and she's not going toward STEM. She's just naturally good at math and has 1.5 years of high school left. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverMoon said:

Fwiw we're not aiming at a test and she's not going toward STEM. She's just naturally good at math and has 1.5 years of high school left. 🙂

My dd is naturally good at math too and never thought she'd be a STEM student until halfway through her senior year of high school when she decided to major in computer science at an engineering school.  You just never know.  

• Like 1