Menu

JAWM - people who can't visualise

Laura Corin

The house we moved into this summer has a room that was divided by the previous owners into two bedrooms and a bathroom.  We are taking the partitions out and making a sitting room. Husband is mostly concerned about where his speakers go - music matters to him - I like to face windows and enjoy the focus of a woodstove.  The layout needs to be decided before the renovation because we need planning permission for a woodstove chimney.

Husband can't visualise. He knows this about himself. He's good at directions and maps but he can't 'see' something presented in a diagram or even a 3D CAD visualisation. We went over potential designs again today. It's been a long morning. 

• Like 2

LOL. I'm the one that can't visualize, made building the house very fun. My bay window is twice as big as I wanted and thought it would be. Everyone thinks it is so wonderful it is so big but I nearly cried as I just wanted a small cozy window seat, not this huge 14 foot long one we ended up with.

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Soror said:

LOL. I'm the one that can't visualize, made building the house very fun. My bay window is twice as big as I wanted and thought it would be. Everyone thinks it is so wonderful it is so big but I nearly cried as I just wanted a small cozy window seat, not this huge 14 foot long one we ended up with.

Oh dear.

It took me years to realise that when I talked to him about planting plans, he really had no idea what I was talking about. At least now he knows,  even though he can't  'see', that the gaps between the plants will fill in and he will probably like it in the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Husband can't visualise. He knows this about himself. He's good at directions and maps but he can't 'see' something presented in a diagram or even a 3D CAD visualisation. We went over potential designs again today. It's been a long morning. 

This would take a lot of time, but would it help to find pictures of very similar rooms (say in whatever your Multiple Listing Service - houses for sale - is)? Or is that not enough to help him determine? 

Could you build a small mostly-to-scale model with shoe boxes/cardboard and have a small popsicle stick figure to place in there? 

Are there any online free sound analysis type programs that would allow you to input a floor layout and get estimates of sound whatever? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bambam said:

This would take a lot of time, but would it help to find pictures of very similar rooms (say in whatever your Multiple Listing Service - houses for sale - is)? Or is that not enough to help him determine? 

Could you build a small mostly-to-scale model with shoe boxes/cardboard and have a small popsicle stick figure to place in there? 

Are there any online free sound analysis type programs that would allow you to input a floor layout and get estimates of sound whatever? 

We've looked at lots of similar pictures and the architect has done 3D CAD representations. He's got the sound data. He also agrees intellectually on the design but is doubtful just because his brain can't let him fully appreciate it. Any models I produced wouldn't help - my skills absolute don't lie in that direction. 

I’m so bad at this and my husband is so good at it, that he built several to scale models and also did some full mock ups out of cardboard and styrofoam during our current full home remodel. As he’s doing most of the work himself, building the models was actually a fun distraction at times.

• Like 1

I am bad at this, and my husband, who thinks he is good at it, is also bad at it.

What I have resorted to is taking butcher paper and making footprints of anything we might put in, and then laying them out on the floor and walking around them.  I need to experience the actual sizes of things to be able to make good decisions about them.

Having said that, sometimes a range of sizes would work, and in that case I ‘try out’ different sizes and then write down the ranges in a little notebook to use when I’m considering purchases.

• Like 3