Menu

Hive shoppers: waterproof watch, fabric band, not a smart watch

RootAnn

Is this no longer a thing?

Dd's "water resistant" watch is no longer resistant & she has asked me to find something that is waterproof. She's tough on her watch bands so something I can just buy a replacement band for is a necessity.

She'd like a step counter included but it's a nice-to-have. No smart watches. Nothing that needs to be charged. Just a regular battery that can be replaced once every year or two. And doesn't cost a bundle.

I'm having such a tough time finding something like this because either the watch is "smart" or it isn't waterproof. I found some water resistant ones but the reviews all say it really isn't & we'd end up with a fogged up time piece which is what she's dealing with now.

Help?

45 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Fabric watch band takes longer to dry than rubberized watch band though.

Most needs to be a watch band that is replaceable. Many are integrated into the watch so when the band breaks, the watch is finished.

32 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

have you tried putting her current watch in uncooked rice or silica gel? 

Yes (rice). It helps a bit but only for a limited time. The condensation builds back up. She takes it off the shower but just washing hands & doing her normal activities makes it unreadable.

36 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

She takes it off the shower but just washing hands & doing her normal activities makes it unreadable.

I have this one and it’s still working. Need a change of battery every two years or so but I do use the night light function often since I wake up before sunrise. Not for swimming laps (jacuzzi is ok) but ok for dish washing and getting caught in a rainstorm. I bought from Target many years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/CASIO-FT500WC-3BVCF-Forester-Sport-Watch/dp/B004EFQZTM

• Thanks 1

Well, according to this: https://www.timex.com/the-timex-blog/what-makes-a-watch-water-resistant.html

no watches are allowed to be labeled waterproof anymore. I have a Timex Weekender that has woven, easily replaceable band, and it is water resistant to 30 meters, the lowest level of water resistance. I’ve never had a problem with it, but haven’t worn it in a couple of years, and I didn’t shower or anything with it on. It withstood occasional wetting while doing the dishes, at worst.

• 1 year later...

One can usually get an iconic Casio F-91W for a little over $10.

These tiny and cheap digital watches are a dream to wear and beloved by all (including the snootiest of watch snobs).

Probably the most significant horological timepiece ever made and certainly the best selling watch in history.

Just this week I suggested that my wife try out my F-91W. I am never going to get it back. And I'm glad. She rocks it.

Although the F-91W is only rated for "water resistance" (which typically means only slightly splashproof) the F-91W has proven to be quite water resistant--far beyond its rating. There are numerous YouTube videos where people have put the F-91Ws to the test. People swim with these all the time.

The F-91W comes on a resin strap. Those can eventually break, but they will also accommodate an 18mm single pass nylon strap or similar NATO strap. It can be a bit of a PITA to put on a fabric strap (not something one would want to do daily), but NATO-type straps are virtually indestructible and come in all sorts of colorways.

The current Amazon/Walmart price is about $16, but the pricing is highly volatile. They will drop in price during the upcoming holiday sales. Personally, I think everyone interested should enjoy one of these legendary watches. They are the greatest value of any consumer product in my awareness. And they fit people with small wrists, women, boys, girls, men with small wrists.

I loved the one that was formerly mine and I have a big wrist.

They don't have step-counters and the 'illumination" light is notoriously poor. The picture looks "big," but they are small and thin.

value-proposition-the-casio-f-91w-was-in

What a classic!

Bill

ETA: And the batteries on F-91Ws typically last about 10 years. 

Edited by Spy Car

• 6 months later...