Menu

Is this a common university Covid policy?

Excelsior! Academy

My college attending daughter worked with someone who tested positive for Covid-19.   She was not in the employee group who was required to be tested, but alerted her university anyway.  They (obviously) advised her to quarantine and be tested, which she did.  After her test results came back negative the university required her to continue her quarantine.  She didn't mind the quarantine, because she is a commuter and it gave her extra time to work on her classes.  Is it a common thing to be required to continue a quarantine after testing negative?  I understand that there is an incubation period and if tested again one could test positive, but I'm still curious to know if it is common policy.

1 minute ago, alisoncooks said:

We have several college students that DH works with that recently tested. (They had a housemate that tested positive.) Their doctor told them, after their negative test, to continue quarantining for 10 more days. 

That was the length of her quarantine, so I am guessing it's common.  Thank you.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

Is it a common thing to be required to continue a quarantine after testing negative?

Yes--it's either 10 or 14 days regardless of negative status at my son's school.

Edited by EKS

My oldest has been repeatedly exposed with the Army National Guard, and that's what we've done.

The first time was potentially a major exposure (inside an Army vehicle for hours with no mask because it was so hot), and he actually isolated in a friend's basement because it was hard to truly isolate him here. He had a negative test after several got sick. 

The other times they were social distancing and masking. He had a negative test, but out of an abundance of caution, quarantined at home. We wore masks too, went out only when we had to, and fed him separately. 

He actually quit is gym job because gyms remain a bit of concern around here. They social distance primarily, but all that equipment! I don't know how they can possibly keep up. When I had P.T. this summer, there was an employee that constantly walked around cleaning after people left equipment. I used the weights and bands and was told to leave them on the bench so she could clean them and put them back. After I got up from the warm-up bike, she was right there cleaning it. The gym is not doing that, trust me. 

I've lost several family friends now and know others who have lost loved ones, and I just don't believe in taking chances.

Two negative tests or a quarantine is a super common policy in lots of places.

My understanding is that the test is for tracing for her. She still has to quarantine just in case. But if she was positive, they'd then have to go another step and alert everyone she had contact with. If she's negative and quarantining, then it's very unlikely she infected anyone. So they can skip that bit.

• Like 3

In our scenario, she wouldn't have had to quarantine because she was a secondary contact of the confirmed case -- not a primary contact.

However those who are told to isolate here do need to isolate their full term, regardless of testing.

If they test positive, then all of *their* primary contacts get isolated (and tested). If they test negative, their contacts remain free.

• Like 2