Menu

Term for an unrounded number

Dh is trying to think of the term for a number that is showing all of its decimal places (like on a calculator) or has not be rounded off.   

It's not unrounded, precise, or anything obvious.  He said it's a "$10 word" - long, multi-syllables and he thinks it ends in a sound like "fasia".   

Any ideas?   This is the smartest group of people I know so I'm hoping someone knows.   Google was amazingly unhelpful. 

@square_25 you're a math teacher/math degreed, any ideas?

12 hours ago, LMD said:

Mantissa?

Nope, he says that's not it.

He said it's a term someone he worked with used all the time.  I'm starting to wonder if she made it up.

Another possible clue to what it may be, he's an analytical pharmaceutical chemist, so he's dealing with a lot of FDA reports, lab reports, statistical reports, HPLC stuff.   Maybe it's a more specialized term?

On 9/16/2020 at 7:31 AM, Where's Toto? said:

He said it's a term someone he worked with used all the time.  I'm starting to wonder if she made it up.

Another possible clue to what it may be, he's an analytical pharmaceutical chemist, so he's dealing with a lot of FDA reports, lab reports, statistical reports, HPLC stuff.   Maybe it's a more specialized term?

Actual value?  Laboratory value?

Technically when one obtains numerical values in a laboratory setting, they are "rounded" due to the sensitivity of the instrument or assay being used.

I wonder if a word with a sound like "fasia" if it might be a Latin word?  

Here's a possible list- https://platonicrealms.com/encyclopedia/Latin-terms-and-phrases-in-math  

None of them are quite right, but I could imagine a person adopting one of them as her catchphrase to mean what she'd like, such as "de facto" or "ab initio" or an actual/exact value or something that has not yet been manipulated.    

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland

32 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Hahahaha, either way, it may have to be an eternal mystery!! 

Right... Time to take matters into our own hands and invent a term for Mr. Where's Toto. Here's mine:

"Precisexactasia Numbericalunroundia" = overly complicated term for an exact, unrounded number

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4