Menu

Chemistry - light to moderate reading

We used Apologia's Chem and Wile's Chem programs previous to this.  I have a sophomore who struggles academically.  Chemistry is slated for this year.  I want something genuine, ideally with videos, but less intensive of straight reading.  Anyone have something they love? Labs are fine and fun!

We haven't used Chemistry, but my dyslexic daughter enjoyed Fundafunda Academy.   It is not a live class, but there are deadlines for assignments and tests.  The Biology class focus seemed to be more on video with textbook as a reference. Classes start this week.  I'm sure they would send you a syllabus or maybe a sample.

• Like 3

We just completed GPB's Chemistry: A Study of Matter.  The videos are very clear and there are note-taking guides, worksheets, quizzes, review pages, and tests.  It's  $20 for the teacher materials.  There were a few times dc turned to The Organic Chemistry Tutor or other helpful YouTube videos for clarification, but the videos are usually enough.   

• Like 2

I'm using Supercharged Science with my DS for middle school chemistry.  She has a high school level course as well.  It is video based and experiment heavy.  My DS is incredibly science minded and hates reading and absolutely loves SS.  I will say that I hemmed and hawed about it for months because it takes a lot of planning on my part to make sure we have all the materials and honestly the subscription is not cheap.  But I am so impressed with the owner's expertise (Aurora Lipper) and she is incredibly engaging in the videos.  I think my DS has learned more from her than anything else we have ever done in school.  

Another thing you can look at is Guest Hollow's High School Chemistry in the Kitchen.  That one does have a lot of reading, but it is not textbook reading, and there is not a lot of math. 

• Like 1

Thank you all! I appreciate being able to look at everything ya'all suggested.  Lori, the suggestion for Friendly Chemistry made me think it might be alright to use a classical curriculum geared towards older middle school kiddos and "flesh" it out a little.  Cathy Duffy reviewed Elemental Science well and I suspect the "notebook" approach might actually stick with him.  I'm going to utilize the linked videos and we'll see how this goes.  I'm hopeful.  This is going to be the first year that he has a full high school schedule - packed with work and I think it's going to catch him off guard.  
Thank you again! It was so helpful to look through and be able to get a tighter bead on what I wanted. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 6:02 PM, klmama said:

We just completed GPB's Chemistry: A Study of Matter.  The videos are very clear and there are note-taking guides, worksheets, quizzes, review pages, and tests.  It's  $20 for the teacher materials.  There were a few times dc turned to The Organic Chemistry Tutor or other helpful YouTube videos for clarification, but the videos are usually enough.   

We just looked at this and think it might be a good fit. Would you please let me know how much time you spent each day/week, and how long it took to complete the course? Many thanks for your help!

6 hours ago, QumaCote said:

We just looked at this and think it might be a good fit. Would you please let me know how much time you spent each day/week, and how long it took to complete the course? Many thanks for your help!

If you follow the lesson plan provided and don't add or cut anything, you should be able to finish it in about 160 days.  We added additional live labs for more hands-on experience.   IMHO, the amount of time needed per day will depend on how well your dc understands the math and how well he or she absorbed the chemistry material taught in an earlier physical science course.   

FWIW, if your dc ever needs more explanation, Tyler DeWitt's YouTube videos are very helpful, as are those from The Organic Chemistry Tutor.  

23 minutes ago, klmama said:

If you follow the lesson plan provided and don't add or cut anything, you should be able to finish it in about 160 days.  We added additional live labs for more hands-on experience.   IMHO, the amount of time needed per day will depend on how well your dc understands the math and how well he or she absorbed the chemistry material taught in an earlier physical science course.   

FWIW, if your dc ever needs more explanation, Tyler DeWitt's YouTube videos are very helpful, as are those from The Organic Chemistry Tutor.  

Klmama, thank you so very much for the information and the additional resources! (I love your signature!)