Menu

Wine delivery for my neighbors

Kanin

I have the absolute nicest neighbors! They knocked on our door yesterday with a plate of bacon-wrapped scallops from the grill 😍, they mow the part of our lawn that is adjacent to theirs, and more. DH and I want to give them a gift, and we thought something wine-related would be good, because they're always sitting out on their patio with glasses of wine in the late afternoons.

Does anyone know of any good wine-delivery sites? We don't know exactly what they like, so a box with a mix of wines would be perfect.

Thanks!

I don’t, but my favorite wine that seems to instantly become everyone else’s favorite if I share it is Rombauer Zinfandel.  

It’s so good that when white wine drinkers taste it they abandon their white wine preference for the remainder of the evening, every time.  I used to serve a bottle of white and a bottle of red at our book group meetings, but now I just have two bottles of this because everyone prefers it even if they normally don’t like red wine.  It has caught on, and at least one other person in our group now serves it as well.   I once attended a business conference and went to a restaurant banquet hosted by the managing partner for the area.  The restaurant had half bottles of this wine, and I ordered one, and once people tasted it, the remaining full size bottles of wine on the table were ignored in favor of many, many more half bottles for the rest of the night.  

So that’s what I would suggest, because it is reliable and special and everybody seems to love it once they try it.

• Like 1

My mom, who lives with us, has been having wine delivered since March from firstleaf.com.  Her and my dad seem to like it, especially since they don't have to go out to the liquor store.  I have had zero input on what wine they get and have enjoyed all of the selections.

• Like 1

This will probably depend on where you live in the country.  Some places can't deliver to all states, and some won't deliver if the temperature is above a certain temperature--we can't get delivery from our favorite places this time of year in Texas. 

• Like 1

https://kellermeister.com.au/Wine_Club.aspx
If you’re up for shipping from Aus these guys are people we know and they are pretty nice wines.  I know they ship to US but no idea how that’s going right now with shipping or what the cost would be so feel free to ignore if it’s way unrealistic or out of budget.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

We use wine.com

It's a nice sentiment, but please get an idea of their taste beforehand. Many people who like dry wines despise sweet. Many sweet wine drinkers can't stand dry. Some people only drink red, some only white.
Gifted bottles often end up waiting to be taken to the next party in hopes somebody there will open them.

This time of the year is to hot to ship wine in most parts of the country.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, regentrude said:

We use wine.com

It's a nice sentiment, but please get an idea of their taste beforehand. Many people who like dry wines despise sweet. Many sweet wine drinkers can't stand dry. Some people only drink red, some only white.
Gifted bottles often end up waiting to be taken to the next party in hopes somebody there will open them.

This time of the year is to hot to ship wine in most parts of the country.

Good point - I'll do a bit of investigating! 

17 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I don’t, but my favorite wine that seems to instantly become everyone else’s favorite if I share it is Rombauer Zinfandel.  

It’s so good that when white wine drinkers taste it they abandon their white wine preference for the remainder of the evening, every time.  I used to serve a bottle of white and a bottle of red at our book group meetings, but now I just have two bottles of this because everyone prefers it even if they normally don’t like red wine.  It has caught on, and at least one other person in our group now serves it as well.   I once attended a business conference and went to a restaurant banquet hosted by the managing partner for the area.  The restaurant had half bottles of this wine, and I ordered one, and once people tasted it, the remaining full size bottles of wine on the table were ignored in favor of many, many more half bottles for the rest of the night.  

So that’s what I would suggest, because it is reliable and special and everybody seems to love it once they try it.

Sounds yummy! I'm one that usually only likes white, so I need to try this too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MEmama said:

Cellar Door if you want local?

What a lovely relationship you have! Good neighbors are priceless. 🙂 

Good idea! Yes, they're just wonderful. I live in a neighborhood of mostly retired people, and I LOVE it!! Must be a reward for all those years of simply awful neighbors.

• Like 1

Add a bottle of Delheim wine from South Africa 🙂

We had bans on the sale of alcohol which has just been lifted - it has been brutal on the wine and restaurant industries.  The rationale was that alcohol related injuries and disease takes up hospital beds.   There was also a completely nonsensical ban on tobacco sales.

• Like 1