Menu

Information Aversion

Skippy

Does anyone else ever do this besides me?

Some economists did a study which concluded that when women find out that a coworker has breast cancer, it makes them less likely to get screened themselves for breast cancer. They mentioned "Information Aversion" which is the term social scientists use for the concept that you don't want to find out information that could be bad for you. 

I know that this behavior is illogical and foolish, but I have to admit that I have been guilty of this. For me, I would describe it as: it's like I can stay in the comfortable denial phase as long as there is no absolute proof to push me out of it. 

I am not mentioning this because of anything going on with me presently (that I know of - maybe I'm in the denial phase 😄), but I heard about the study today, and I related to it.

• Like 4

I don't find it changes my behavior, in I still get my screenings.  But knowing someone who has cancer sometimes makes me feel like I have less chance of having it because statistically speaking, how many people in a given group would have cancer?   I do realize that it's not a realistic thought, but it does pop into my head.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:But knowing someone who has cancer sometimes makes me feel like I have less chance of having it because statistically speaking, how many people in a given group would have cancer?   I do realize that it's not a realistic thought, but it does pop into my head.  

Those irrational thoughts have popped in my head, too. Also, I then feel guilty for thinking that, like I’m relieved to be benefiting from their misfortune. 

• Like 1

I don't have this at all.  If anything, it makes me remember to get a screening.   But I suffer from GAD and have a personality that wants to solve problems--so I actually want to know bad news, if any, and get a solution.  I don't hide from bad news.  

Like I was grateful for all my correct diagnoses- not because they I like having Sjogren's, Asthma, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Factor V Leiden, Allergies to mold and cats, and Ankolysing Spondylosis but I had them all before I was diagnosed with each so diagnosis just means treatment and my understanding what is going on with my body.

Edited by TravelingChris
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Just making sure!! It's a super common fallacy. 

It doesn't count as a fallacy if you realize that you're being unreasonable. (Just kidding. I just made up that rule 😊.)

Edited by Skippy
  • Haha 2

Yeah, recently I was on a random internet binge late at night, totally random link clicking. Someone in a comment thread (that was about parks or something totally not health related) mentioned a health problem that they finally got diagnosed because of a totally weird rare symptom that doctors don't usually check or ask about.

I have that totally weird rare symptom. 

I'm avoiding the doctor like the plague (ha?) right now. For various reasons. But this is definitely high on the list.

Normally I'm a problem solver. But I know that this diagnosis has no solution, just mitigation. So I've integrated some of the mitigations I read about online (continued that internet binge) in case it's actually true for me. But I don't want to have the paper in my hand, kwim?

Anyway, DH unrelatedly has been on my case about getting a wellness check for months (years..) and he finally just scheduled my appt for me. It's later this month. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes, I do think this exists, and I think I have seen it in close people.  I hope it is not something I would do, at least not with something that can be helped with earlier detection.

But this makes me think of something related ... there is good and bad in having uncertainty in our lives.  Also, it is pretty much the human norm.  It may be instinct to avoid certainty at times, although we should counter that instinct with science when there is a known benefit to earlier detection. 

It might be helpful to discuss how high the cure rates have become over the lifespans of people currently at risk.  That might help push minds from instinctive / fear-based / irrational decisions to more rational ones.

• Like 1