Menu

ISO Kindergarten curriculum advice from a new homeschooler!

MitchellMom

EDITED TO ADD: How does Five in a Row work? Do I buy several volumes of books?... Cathy Duffy's book says Five in a Row is not Classical Education. (!???)

I would love some advice on curriculum. My daughter is 4.5 and we just finished lesson 52 in Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. She loves loves loves being read to, and I would like to avoid textbooks for most subjects and stick with "real books." These are my options:

1. Sonlight Curriculum with Horizons Math

2. Building my own curriculum:

-- Phonics Supplement: Explode the Code OR MCP Plaid Phonics (but I have no idea which level to start with, for either one!)

-- Language Arts: Learning Language Arts Through Literature (is this age-appopriate?)

-- Spelling - again, is this age-appropriate? I am considering Spelling Power or Spelling Workout

-- History: Story of the World 1 (or any suggestions? I also have considered A Child's Story of America, Greenleaf Famous Men, Truth Quest, and The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide)

-- Science: Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (I also have considered A History of Science and Living Learning Books)

-- Math: Saxon (I already have it, though I seriously am considering switching to Singapore ... it's such a tough decision and makes my head hurt!)

-- Logic (just for fun): Critical Thinking Company

I am new to homeschooling and would appreciate your advice very, very much! Please be honest!

Jessie :)

Edited by MitchellMom

Welcome, Jessie!

I am currently teaching Kindergarten for the 4th time. My opinion on what's necessary for Kindergarten? Just work on reading fluently. Read to her. Follow her lead and read about anything that interests her. I would not add any formal science, history, or language arts beyond reading/phonics. The combo. which works really well around here is:

Phonics Pathways (Teach Your Child is great, too)

Explode the Code

Singapore Earlybird Math

copywork (as they become ready for it)

That's all. Then we just read aloud about anything and everything. Go on nature walks and create a nature notebook. Draw and paint pictures. Make things out of clay. Just enjoy learning about everything around you.

There is plenty of time for formal curriculum. The younger years should be about curiosity and wonder.

Enjoy your time!!

That was us last year! In the end I did what the previous posted suggested. Concentrated on teaching him to read, read to him and started basic handwriting and number work. It was far to early for SOTW which we started this yr but even now I am trying not to do too much too early otherwise we won't have time for the things a little boy should be doing.

We had lots of visits to museums and parks during school hrs when they were empty and generally had a great time! Lots of time for lego too!

Stephanie

I don't have much advice since I haven't been at this very long but I do also have a 4yo.

Spelling: DD and I both love All About Spelling level 1. IMO, it is very age appropriate. DC start with lessons on learning all of the sounds that each letter can make and segmenting words orally. Soon after they start spelling easy words!

Science: I have BFSU on hand to start sometime between now and fall. It looks great and I think my dd would already enjoy the early lessons.

Math: I've been doing informal lessons from Right Start A, but am considering switching to Math on the Level. This contains all of the math topics that your child will need from beginning math up through pre-algebra. What's great about it is that YOU determine when your dc is ready for each topic and then teach those topics in a more natural fashion.

Reading/Phonics: We will be starting up with OPGTR again and Explode the Code book 1 after we get over our colds.

Handwriting: Can your DD write letters? If so, copywork would be appropriate. Otherwise you could try a handwriting program. I have chosen to start with cursive. DD is using tracing pages from online, as well as sandpaper letters, tracing letters in a sand box, and using a small chalk board.

For now I just work with dd while her younger siblings take a nap. And only if she is interested, which she usually is!

Hi, Jessie! It looks like there are lots of us here in a similar position to you! How fun! :001_smile:

I'm not even going to consider trying to comment on the language arts stuff, because I'm still trying to figure that out myself. Needless to say, I'll be watching to see what others suggest.

Personally, I love the idea of piecing together curriculum. With that in mind, I'll comment on a few of the things I'm planning.

I'm definitely saving SOTW for 1st grade. Part of that is because my youngest is just 2 years behind, so I know I'll be folding her in at some point. Enough people have discussed the more intense nature of SOTW4 that I don't want to rush to get there (though honestly, I'm chomping at the bit for it). Instead, I'm going to do some light geography stuff, most likely using Eat Your Way Around the World to keep it fun for all of us. I'll probably toss a few activities and ideas from the Trip Around the World series, too, and we'll definitely do library books (both fiction and non) to supplement each country.

For science, I'm struggling. I really like the cycle established in TWTM (which has biology in 1st grade), but my 4.5-year-old already adores science, so there's no way we'll skip it. I love the sounds of Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, but I don't know if I want to do science that way or not. I need to get my hands on it and think a lot. Currently, I'm planning to read lots and lots of the Read and Find Out books. We are working through Seasonal Science right now and LOVE it, but it's quite light. It works for adding in my 2.5-year-old, though. I have Backyard Scientist, and though I initially didn't like it, I think there might be quite a lot to use as a springboard for us. But really, just letting my daughter's interests, largely outside, lead us works.

FWIW, we are loving Singapore Math here. I actually have to keep slowing us down, because left to her own devices, she would just fly through the whole thing. Of course, I'm quite sure we'll be through the Earlybird series before K is over, so I don't know what we'll do then. :tongue_smilie:But from everything I read, you just can't go wrong with Saxon, either.

I hope this helps a little or gives you a few ideas! I'll be watching this thread most definitely!

I agree with the other posters that really anything other than reading is icing on the cake at this age.

My son just turned 5. For his K year this is what we are doing:

Phonics using OPGTR. I really like ETC but he doesn't so I stopped it about halfway through book 2. We use lots of readers. I really like the Bob Books and the Nora Gaydos readers.

Math: We did the Singapore Earlybird Books last year and we both really loved them. I would highly recommend them. I got the Singapore 1A books but decided to hold off and just do math games with him and fun stuff now. One thing he loves is a Kumon dot-to-dot book I got him. The numbers go up to 150 so it helps really get the numbers down and with number recognition but it's really fun. The pictures are excellent...I can't even tell what they are going to be before he's done.

Handwriting: We use Handwriting Without Tears which I've been satisfied with.

For everything else we use Five in a Row. I think the previous poster mentioned it. I would definitely check it out. I think it's perfect for this age. It's very flexible...you can do what you want with it. It really has given us a lot of fun memories this year.

I am doing an accelerated K year with my DD at the moment and she is LOVING it.

We are using -

FIAR - this is excellent and brings good quality books into your home. It also touches on geography and history without being full on.

Math - we tried MUS primer and hated it, we have Singapore EB 2A, 2B which are not really a challenge so we are tending to do our own thing waiting for Math on the Level to arrive.

Handwriting - we worked thru some Kumon workbooks early in the year and have now moved onto copywork.

Phonics - We are working thru 100EZ, i added ETC1 at lesson 50 and also the Nora Gaydos readers. DD has really blossomed now and is finding the 100EZ lessons VERY easy. She doesn't like ETC so we have stopped and have picked up the Webster Speller. We are using it first as a reading list for phonics and will also use it as a spelling list once 100EZ is completed.

My focus for her is reading (phonics), math and handwriting. Everything else is exposure.

I have BFSU and Come look with Me on their way which i will add in once they arrive.

We also take nature walks, look at the Atlas, go to the library and investigate anything we find interesting along the way.

We're in the midst of K and having a great time. I'm sure this'll look like a lot, but honestly, we're really relaxed...as in, we often don't bother to change out of our pajamas if we'll be home all day, we didn't start hs'ing until the beginning of October (when she turned 5), and the only formal thing we did in November was Reading Eggs. :D We definitely don't do more than an hour of sit-down work each day.

Reading

ETC workbooks + Phonics Pathways + Starfall (online, free) + Reading Eggs (online, free trial) + readers from the library (BOB books, Nora Gaydos readers) + we'll probably add Reading Pathways soon

Handwriting

Handwriting Without Tears, zipped through PreK, now working through K

Math

Singapore EarlyBird (older, cheaper version), RightStart A

I'm ignoring social studies for now. Ditto for science, despite the fact that DH and I are both scientists. ;)

We do lots of read alouds at home, art supplies are always accessible, and when I'm feeling on top of things we do structured arts/crafts projects. She does a few monthly homeschooler classes (aquarium, nature center, nautical history museum). With her little sister we do weekly library storytime, Music Together class, and Parks & Rec yoga for kids. Oh yeah, and we have a weekly homeschooler playgroup and a really informal hs coop. She's lobbying to start her Parks & Rec dance class again, but I think our schedule is full now, and I just don't fit in with the "dance moms." :tongue_smilie:

We started with ETC A/B/C, but those were too easy because she already had the letter sounds down. Now we're moving very quickly through ETC 1 (short vowel sounds). ETC workbooks require quite a bit of writing, more than she's comfortable doing. Some people choose to do that part orally, but I really wanted a written record of her work. After reading this tip here, I've started using a highlighter and she dictates answers to me. Then she traces over what I write.

Starfall is great fun for exposure to the alphabet and beyond, and free is always a plus! DD managed to work through all of Reading Eggs in the free trial period plus additional 2 free weeks they give you if you complete a survey. She was kind of addicted to it. :D I thought it was a really great program, and we'll probably subscribe for a month or two once they have the rest of the lessons up. To get the most benefit, I wouldn't start Reading Eggs until your child is starting to be able to sound out CVC words.

If I had to do it over, I'd have started Handwriting Without Tears over the summer, so she'd have been more comfortable with the writing in ETC. I'm not sure I love HWT...I'm kind of wishing we'd gone with Getty-Dubay, but HWT will do the job just fine.

I'm kind of lazy with math. I'm not stressing out about getting through RightStart A, because we plan to do RS B next year, and I know all of A is contained in the first half of B. We've gone through Singapore EarlyBird 1a, and we do a few pages of 1b here and there when the mood strikes us. I expect we'll work through 2a/b by the end of the summer.

Like you, I'm thinking about adding some Critical Thinking Co. stuff for fun, or maybe Lollipop Logic instead.

Hi! My dc are 5, 3, and 2.

Start with just the "3R's" Get those in a daily routine and then add in whatever is fun and fruitful.

We are doing SWR for phonics/spelling/reading.

For math, I am waivering LOL! I have tried....Saxon, Horizons, Miquon.....and a few others I think:lol: I like Miquon, but I'm looking into Math on the Level.

I am building my own curriculum. One thing to keep in mind is not overlapping subjects (and end up teaching the same thing in 124 different ways, with 124 different curricula).

You have been given so much good advice! We are also using FIAR. I supplement with Singapore Earlybird math, ETC, HWOT and some copywork. We are also learning Mandarin Chinese.

FIAR is nice because it touches a little bit on a lot of different subjects: science, art, history, geography, bible/character, and cooking. I just choose the activities that I think dd4 will be interested in. We spend probably 20-45 minutes a day reading our FIAR book and having a discussion or doing an activity, and maybe another 45 on her other subjects.

Dd4 has been reading for a while now and we just finished ETC book 3. If your dd is already reading her cvc words well you may want to start with ETC book 2 or 3 which cover 4 letter words, including those with a silent e. ETC book 4 starts out with compound words. And she will get some spelling practice with ETC as well; some of the exercises will require her to spell out words from memory, and learning the phonics rules will help with her spelling.

I am waiting another year before we start our "official" history and science rotation per the classical method because I think she will get more out of it then and dd2 will be old enough to sit in with us for read alouds and projects. And I'm using the extra time to really plan out our first year: choosing subjects and books, researching curriculum, putting together lists for field trip ideas, and reading up on ancient history and everything else we'll be studying myself so that I feel prepared to teach it. My advice (and take it with a grain of salt because I'm terribly new at all of this too!) is to focus on reading and writing right now and early math skills. And if you want to do some more, use a curriculum like FIAR that uses good books, or go through a pre-k or k picture book reading list and supplement with nonfiction books from the library, or just go with your dd's interests and pick out an armful (or two) of whatever she wants to learn about that week at the library. Once she has gone through a K math program and is able to read and write well, then you could switch to more formal history, science, and language arts curricula. I'm planning on starting grade 1 with dd when she is 5.5 because I think we'll both be ready by then (and I'll have exhausted the FIAR book list by then too).

I hope you find something that works well for you! It sounds like you are off to a great start. :001_smile:

We keep our rountine simple and short, yet rich: I have an eclectic approach to homeschooling.

Mornings (individual hour for each child) of reading using Rocket Phonics and easy readers, spelling SWR 10 words a week(need to up this now), math with Singapore PM 1B and various math games/boards. I am really flexible, some weeks we may do out of the box type stuff based on their own interests with reading, spelling or math. Sometimes I substitute workbooks for educational software. In the mornings, my children memorize simple poems which we work on during our calendar time.

In the evenings we spend about an hour on history SOTW, chemistry with RS4K and biology (right now, human body studies) doing readings/crafts.

Daily I read to them for 1- 1/1/2 hrs of fiction/nonfiction. We recently finished Pippi Longstocking and are 1/2 way thru Magician's Nephew. We visit the library weekly-my kids get more books than we can possibly read. Getting your child fully comfortable at the library and immersed in books is rewarding. My children go to bed with stacks of books to read through. Both girls are in a ballet and piano class so they practice daily, not so much with ballet. We also attend a weekly homeschool group-lots of playing to be had. Visiting local museums and zoos, going on many field trips and theater plays are a wonderful addition to our days.

Most importantly: I follow my children's interests, often these subjects come in the form of questions (too many sometimes). Answering these questions are not factored in our "school time" but they are learning. I think getting creative is critical at this stage of the game. For instance: in answering "why do some leaves change red not yellow in the fall?" led me to act out a play of photosythnesis (I was a tree & I made leaves for my branches, my arms)so I could explain the answer! Tonight we reviewed our spelling words in pudding and made molecues with marshmallows. You could ask your child "what are you interested in learning about?" The answers may surprise you. Have fun!

includes the following:

Main Focus on

* Reading with ETC (with little or no handwriting) and Phonics Pathways, easy readers, McGuffey Primer

* Math with MUS Alpha

* Writing with Italic workbooks and some copywork

Depending on energy level and interest, we also do Song School Latin (began 5th chapter this week), Greek Alphabetarion, and Fifty Famous Stories for history.

We participate in a weekly co-op for art and music appreciation, memorization, and hands-on science activities.

I endeavor to read aloud an hour per day, mostly from Ambleside Online suggestions, and we do family Bible study/devotions/catechism.

In the beginning of the year, I was very regimented with our schedule and pace, but now I really just focus on those 3 R's and the read alouds and the rest is gravy. It was just too much for everyone. I must say, though, that he really does love the SSL.

Our family has fallen into this groove that works for us. I also have a dd (4) who tags along. She loves the ETC and SSL, too. :-)

Welcome, Jessie!

I am currently teaching Kindergarten for the 4th time. My opinion on what's necessary for Kindergarten? Just work on reading fluently. Read to her. Follow her lead and read about anything that interests her. I would not add any formal science, history, or language arts beyond reading/phonics. The combo. which works really well around here is:

Phonics Pathways (Teach Your Child is great, too)

Explode the Code

Singapore Earlybird Math

copywork (as they become ready for it)

That's all. Then we just read aloud about anything and everything. Go on nature walks and create a nature notebook. Draw and paint pictures. Make things out of clay. Just enjoy learning about everything around you.

There is plenty of time for formal curriculum. The younger years should be about curiosity and wonder.

Enjoy your time!!

Could you please explain your copywork to me?

We're in the midst of K and having a great time. I'm sure this'll look like a lot, but honestly, we're really relaxed...as in, we often don't bother to change out of our pajamas if we'll be home all day, we didn't start hs'ing until the beginning of October (when she turned 5), and the only formal thing we did in November was Reading Eggs. :D We definitely don't do more than an hour of sit-down work each day.

Reading

ETC workbooks + Phonics Pathways + Starfall (online, free) + Reading Eggs (online, free trial) + readers from the library (BOB books, Nora Gaydos readers) + we'll probably add Reading Pathways soon

Handwriting

Handwriting Without Tears, zipped through PreK, now working through K

Math

Singapore EarlyBird (older, cheaper version), RightStart A

I'm ignoring social studies for now. Ditto for science, despite the fact that DH and I are both scientists. ;)

We do lots of read alouds at home, art supplies are always accessible, and when I'm feeling on top of things we do structured arts/crafts projects. She does a few monthly homeschooler classes (aquarium, nature center, nautical history museum). With her little sister we do weekly library storytime, Music Together class, and Parks & Rec yoga for kids. Oh yeah, and we have a weekly homeschooler playgroup and a really informal hs coop. She's lobbying to start her Parks & Rec dance class again, but I think our schedule is full now, and I just don't fit in with the "dance moms." :tongue_smilie:

We started with ETC A/B/C, but those were too easy because she already had the letter sounds down. Now we're moving very quickly through ETC 1 (short vowel sounds). ETC workbooks require quite a bit of writing, more than she's comfortable doing. Some people choose to do that part orally, but I really wanted a written record of her work. After reading this tip here, I've started using a highlighter and she dictates answers to me. Then she traces over what I write.

Starfall is great fun for exposure to the alphabet and beyond, and free is always a plus! DD managed to work through all of Reading Eggs in the free trial period plus additional 2 free weeks they give you if you complete a survey. She was kind of addicted to it. :D I thought it was a really great program, and we'll probably subscribe for a month or two once they have the rest of the lessons up. To get the most benefit, I wouldn't start Reading Eggs until your child is starting to be able to sound out CVC words.

If I had to do it over, I'd have started Handwriting Without Tears over the summer, so she'd have been more comfortable with the writing in ETC. I'm not sure I love HWT...I'm kind of wishing we'd gone with Getty-Dubay, but HWT will do the job just fine.

I'm kind of lazy with math. I'm not stressing out about getting through RightStart A, because we plan to do RS B next year, and I know all of A is contained in the first half of B. We've gone through Singapore EarlyBird 1a, and we do a few pages of 1b here and there when the mood strikes us. I expect we'll work through 2a/b by the end of the summer.

Like you, I'm thinking about adding some Critical Thinking Co. stuff for fun, or maybe Lollipop Logic instead.

How do I know which Singapore math and ETC my daughter is ready for?...

I'm also taking the "less is more" approach with my K'er this year. We've been using Phonics Pathways and Bob Books, Math-U-See Primer (about to move into Alpha, he has sped through it so fast), and Handwriting Without Tears. I don't plan to start a formal history or science program until 1st grade at the earliest. Until then, we're checking out nonfiction books on an array of topics each time we go to the library.

Giving this a bump; confused because Cathy Duffy's book says Five in a Row is not classical education.

The WTM cycles don't start until 1st grade, so using FIAR in K doesn't conflict with the WTM recommendations. As you go along, you'll find you may need to adapt the WTM to your family's particular situation. There are very few long term WTMers who follow it completely.

I built my own curriculum this year, and it's so much better than the boxed one we used last year.

-- Phonics Supplement: We tried Explode the Code and it was just too slow for DD, we use ABeCeDarian instead, which is more streamlined.

-- Language Arts: We use FIAR for this, it covers basic language arts while ABCD teaches DD to read.

-- Spelling - if she's still learning phonics, I wouldn't do spelling. It's overkill IMO.

-- History: We just do read alouds from different books. Right now we are reading Native American stories. I bought SOTW volume 1, but if we do anything at all with it this year, it will be as a read aloud. I don't plan to do formal history until 1st or 2nd grade.

-- Science: We use FIAR for this also, they have some great lessons for this age!

-- Math: We use Right Start because that's what fit us best. I can't really comment on either Saxon or Singapore because I've never used them.

-- Logic (just for fun): We let DD play Zoologic, and I'm thinking of getting some Mind Benders books because I loved them as a child. I'm considering Lollipop Logic, too. Ahh, decisions.

Five in a Row basically is a TM that outlines different lessons to present to your child based on classic children's books. You read the book every day for five days in a row and cover different subjects each day which include LA, science, social studies, art and applied math. It may not be traditionally classical, it's more a unit study, but it works wonderfully, we just completed volume 1 and DD's retention has been great, and she loves the stories.

Last year I did K with my (then) 4 year old dd, and we had a fantastic year.

We used:

ETC 1 - 3, Headsprout Early Reading (all 80 lessons)

Singapore EB 2A, 2B, the first half of PM 1A

Daily copywork (4x per week, copying a 6 - 10 word sentence from our read-alouds, predominantly Little House, Oz, and Narnia books, poetry by R. L. Stevenson)

DK's Children Just Like Me. memorized the names and locations of the continents and oceans, covered the history of holidays as they came up using age-appropriate literature

Nature study and science classes through our natural history museum, plus hands-on exploration at the science center.

Weekly ballet/tap classes.

Twice weekly playdates.

Monthly symphony concerts and/or gallery visits for arts appreciation.

Tons of hands-on exploration with playdough/sand/craft materials/math manipulatives.

We enjoyed the year and she really flourished!

Have you looked into Heart of Dakota? http://www.heartofdakota.com/

I am currently using their preschool guide, Little Hands to Heaven, with my 3 1/2 and almost 2 year old daughters and I love it! I have already purchased Little Hearts for His Glory to use for Kindergarten. It's a Charlotte Mason style curriculum that is very open and go, with lots of fun hands on activities using common household items and basic craft supplies, and it has a strong emphasis on the Bible, which I love. I encourage you to browse their website as well as the message board! Good luck on whatever you choose....

How do I know which Singapore math and ETC my daughter is ready for?...

I'm not familiar with 100EZ Lessons, but if you're already at lesson 52, my guess is that you'd be starting with ETC 2 or 3. You can find the scope and sequence for each book here.

Singapore's scope and sequence is here. KA refers to Earlybird A (used to be 1a and 1b), and KB refers to Earlybird B (used to be 2a/2b). Earlybird A is intended for preK, and Earlybird B is intended for Kindy.

Good luck!

:) Carolyn