Menu

Cannot resolve left handedness issues

My 5 yr old knows all his letters and actually has a good start on reading and phonics. He understands how to sound out words and then put them together and so on. He can read all the BOB books from the first box. But, his pencil grip is still an issue. Letter identification or forming is not an issue. I will continue what I have been doing, which includes writing on the easel and such, writing on things that are up and down instead of just flat in front of him. Does this issue look like it needs intervention from a professional? I hate to spend the money on that. But I am wondering if he has reached a point where he needed intervention. 

Pencilgrip.png

If that's his pencil grip, then it does need intervention.

Before going the professional route, you could try watching his every move when he writes for a few months and correcting his grip as necessary.  In other words, don't ever let him write without having the correct grip.  

That said, there could be reasons his grip might be off besides habit and those reasons might require professional help to deal with.

• Like 2

You could also do some testing for retained reflexes (google for them) and see what pops up. That's something you can work on at home while this coronamess settles down. Then, yeah, you're looking at an OT eval. 

Have you done anything with stub crayons, short pencils, tweezers, fine motor, etc.?

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EKS said:

In other words, don't ever let him write without having the correct grip. 

I agree, there's zero benefit to him writing like that. He's not ready. Finger in sand would be better. You can make a little tray with salt and a baking dish.

We have been using crayon stubs, chalk stubs, paint brushes, easels, writing on things posted on the wall. Also, playing with a variety of mediums to improve hand strength. I was worried about forcing the grip, but I think I will. As in, stopping him from writing or coloring when he holds it wrong.

12 minutes ago, Janeway said:

We have been using crayon stubs, chalk stubs, paint brushes, easels, writing on things posted on the wall. Also, playing with a variety of mediums to improve hand strength. I was worried about forcing the grip, but I think I will. As in, stopping him from writing or coloring when he holds it wrong.

That might have the effect of discouraging him from writing or coloring. Could you maybe offer him an incentive for using a functional grasp?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=grasp+crayons&ref=nb_sb_noss_1  palm grasp crayons

Also consider peg stackers, tweezers, anything where he's using his thumb and fingers together.

Did you google retained reflexes? He doubtless has some. Apparently Palmar is one of the ones for grasp, and it's super easy to treat. We did that one.

Edited by PeterPan

4 hours ago, PeterPan said:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=grasp+crayons&ref=nb_sb_noss_1  palm grasp crayons

Also consider peg stackers, tweezers, anything where he's using his thumb and fingers together.

Did you google retained reflexes? He doubtless has some. Apparently Palmar is one of the ones for grasp, and it's super easy to treat. We did that one.

I googled it and did find a video of exercises. Would this be good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGAZ7K9pS3U

His grip in the first post is like that of a beginner holding a chinese calligraphy brush

e.g. asu_chinese_culture_097.jpg

ETA:

I had a similar hand grip in 1st grade for my less dominant right hand. I am left hander forced to use the right hand for writing by dad.

Edited by Arcadia

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

His grip in the first post is like that of a beginner holding a chinese calligraphy brush

e.g. asu_chinese_culture_097.jpg

ETA:

I had a similar hand grip in 1st grade for my less dominant right hand. I am left hander forced to use the right hand for writing by dad.

Since there is no one at all in our family that is left handed, I have been wondering if it is possible that he is right handed and just trying to use his left hand for some reason. I made an appointment with the pediatrician to get an opinion.

I don't think it has anything to do with being left handed. His grip is not a typical left handed grip. I would not push either hand right now since the grip is so immature. I would always give him the pencils or crayons in the middle so he can choose which hand to use without being influenced one way or the other, and then let him choose which hand he uses without comment. He may continue to switch hands for a while and that's ok. 5 is still very young. 

5 hours ago, Janeway said:

Since there is no one at all in our family that is left handed, I have been wondering if it is possible that he is right handed and just trying to use his left hand for some reason. I made an appointment with the pediatrician to get an opinion.

DS14 didn’t decide to be a right hander until he was 8. He was alternating hands for writing. DS15 only switch to writing with his left hand when his right hand is tired. 

I have two cousins that are left handed but only one nephew that is left handed. However a left hander would still grip a writing instrument correctly. My guess is your son’s motor skills for controlling a pencil is not there yet.  My kids did that grip for chinese when they were three but switched to the correct grip as they felt more confident holding a pencil and writing. 

5 hours ago, Paige said:

I don't think it has anything to do with being left handed. His grip is not a typical left handed grip.

He may continue to switch hands for a while and that's ok. 5 is still very young. 

I agree.

Edited by Arcadia
Typing error

Could he be choosing to his left hand due to a visual problem? 

Some people with convergence issues that never get worked on end up using both right and left, depending on the activity. My mom writes with her R and does close tasks with her right. She does anything sporty (batting for baseball, golfing, etc.) left-handed. I think she also tends to use the "wrong" eye when she aims things.