Menu

Solved

Pen

I have leftovers of stew that humans won’t eat . All ingredients ok for dog except onion.  I don’t know if there’s much onion, but I am sure there’s some.  Otherwise stewed Meat, carrots, celery...

would you let dog have it ?  Or a little along with other foods?

Edited by Pen

If a dog would eat it out of a trash can if they found it, I usually feel safe giving it to the dog. Honestly, until 5 minutes ago, I didn't know about dogs and onions being a problem. I'm sure I've fed them things with onions and we haven't had a problem in all the years we've had them. They are medium sized dogs in the 50 - 75 lb range. I'm pretty sure they would turn their noses up at raw onion if offered but small pieces in some cooked food, I'm sure they have eaten them. But then again, we live where the dogs catch their own snacks of birds, rabbits, rodents and other things. They often bring home carcass parts of animals that look thoroughly disgusting to me but the dogs are quite proud of themselves and have never eaten something that made them sick. I can't remember the last time one of them got sick to be honest. Both have a clean bill of health from the vet despite their diets.

So I guess it is all in how much onion is in there and how much of a risk you are willing to take.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

It’s surprising to me how many things I can’t give to my husky. At this point with any new food I google it. 

Did you guys know about raisins? 

Yep. No grape raisins.  

Luckily raisins don’t seem to appeal to our dogs. 

Just now, Pen said:

Yep. No grape raisins.  

Luckily raisins don’t seem to appeal to our dogs. 

Unfortunately our dog can and would and will eat anything that resembles food. So stressful taking her on walks. I’m even thinking of getting those collars where it shuts the dog’s mouth. Or maybe a cone. She tried to eat a chocolate cookie on the street and Dd had to pry it out. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Pen said:

Medium-big?

~70 pound dog (Lab x Dalmatian) 

Im sure he likes the go ahead and feed him it, or half and half ideas!

Ok, that's big dog size. Will be fine. It takes quite a bit of onion to cause anemia. 

3 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Unfortunately our dog can and would and will eat anything that resembles food. So stressful taking her on walks. I’m even thinking of getting those collars where it shuts the dog’s mouth. Or maybe a cone. She tried to eat a chocolate cookie on the street and Dd had to pry it out. 

Oh, a cookie won't hurt a big dog. Seriously. The saying the dose makes the poison is very true. Chocolate is dangerous, but it takes a LOT of chocolate to hurt a dog that size. Like, eating a bar of dark chocolate, or baking chocolate more likely. When a tiny dog eats a bunch of valentines day chocolates, it is dangerous. A chocolate brownie or cookie or whatever in a big dog? Not a problem (now, dozens would be bad, but one is fine)

This is a calculator for chocolate toxicity https://www.vets-now.com/dog-chocolate-toxicity-calculator/

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 3