Menu

S/O grills - share your grilled favorites - I need ideas

Familia

I got DH a cute little gas grill for his birthday; we haven't had a grill in almost 20 years!

So far, we have had steaks (reverse seared...yum!), hamburgers, and brats.  Can you tell me what you like to grill and how?  We would like to do veggies, corn, other meats, and seafood.  Do we need special pans for anything?  Thanks!

• Huli hull chicken. Leg quarters or thighs (skin on) work best.
  • Bell peppers, onions and mushrooms. We just toss 'em in EVOO and seasoning salt
  • We like zuchini slices drizzled in lemon.
  • Pineapple slices.
  • Baguettes (cut long ways) after drizzling on garlic, EVOO, and Goya seasoning salt.
Edited by Sneezyone
  • Thanks 1

We grill a lot too.

My go-to favorite right now is paprika chicken thighs - boneless/skinless type.  So yummy.

https://www.happyfoodstube.com/grilled-boneless-chicken-thighs/    Just be careful of the flare-ups because of the oils

We also love this chicken Slouvlaki recipe.  But, I don't cut the chicken up into chunks to form Kabobs... I just cut the breast up into long thin strips and marinate then grill. 

https://www.happyfoodstube.com/grilled-boneless-chicken-thighs/

We also love Salmon teriyaki on the grill - I just use a basic homemade recipe and grill it up.  So yummy.

• Like 1

Grilled pizza! Fantastic wood-fired taste with even the most humble ingredients (but I use briquettes, so maybe it's that).

Get a 16 oz ball of pizza dough (we tend to get it at Trader Joe's) and divide it into 3 parts. Roll them out. Grill one side for a couple of minutes, rotating it around a bit. Flip and do the other side just 20 or 30 seconds so it's not too sticky. Place toppings on the fully grilled side--with a light touch. We brush on a little olive oil, then pizza sauce, a little finely shredded mozzarella, then whatever toppings you want. We make 6 little pizzas from 2 balls of dough, so we do a variety. Take it back to the grill and use the cover to help the cheese melt. Rotate it a few times. Take it off the grill, slice with a pizza cutter, and begin eating immediately while you cook the rest. Yum!

• Like 1

We do lots of salmon by placing it in aluminum foil that has a bit of olive oil spray. I like it best with olive oil and Cajun seasoning. I often make fresh tzaziki to go with it. Recently we made some amazing Greek chicken kabobs using chicken breasts and one of our long time favorites is marinated fish for fish tacos, also cooked on aluminum foil. Boneless skinless thighs with salt, pepper, and garlic seasoning is a staple.

https://damndelicious.net/2019/08/28/greek-chicken-kabobs/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

We grill a lot too.

My go-to favorite right now is paprika chicken thighs - boneless/skinless type.  So yummy.

https://www.happyfoodstube.com/grilled-boneless-chicken-thighs/    Just be careful of the flare-ups because of the oils

We also love this chicken Slouvlaki recipe.  But, I don't cut the chicken up into chunks to form Kabobs... I just cut the breast up into long thin strips and marinate then grill. 

https://www.happyfoodstube.com/grilled-boneless-chicken-thighs/

We also love Salmon teriyaki on the grill - I just use a basic homemade recipe and grill it up.  So yummy.

I’d love a link to the chicken Souvlaki recipe, both above are for the paprika things (which I already bookmarked, it looks 😋).

You are all making me very hungry!

@Frances do I need to poke holes in the foil to cook with foil on grill (newbie question, certainly=)

@PrincessMommy I’d also like the Chicken Slouvaki recipe.  Do you just put the chicken strips on grill grates or use foil?

ETA - As a Father’s Day gift, I just went to Amazon & ordered DH a stainless grill pan (11” square).  Hopefully that is good (and not superfluous) for at least veggies & small pieces of meat.

Edited by Familia

My go to for easy and yummy is chicken breasts that are pounded out flat (otherwise they are too thick in some areas and thin in others and don't cook well) and thinner, and then marinated in italian dressing. Grill after marinating at least an hour. SO good, so stupid simple, and the leftovers are great for slicing up on a salad. Caesar salad or a salad with some spinach, berries, grapes, apples, blue cheese, walnuts, and slices or chunks of that grilled chicken breast  - yum!

Corn in the husk still is good .

Barbecued chicken thighs or drumsticks. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Grilled pineapple and grilled peaches are a favorite here. Grilled watermelon is nice. 

Never in a million years would I have thought of grilling watermelon.  Can’t wait to try it!  Thanks

• Like 1

Among the large variety of grilled veggies I enjoy, I really like Mexican street-style grilled corn. 

Husk the corn, soak a while it in heavily salted water (retain brine), place on hot grill, periodically (a few times) dunk the corn quickly back into the brine, then place back on grill. Cook until really golden. Better to err on the side of overdone.

When finished, butter and (optionally) season with lime and chilies or a powdered lime-chili seasoning. 

Corn prepared this way develops a very chewy texture and the method intensifies the "corn" flavor.

If you don't like lime/chilies, it is very delicious with butter alone. Completely optional.

Bill

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Familia said:

You are all making me very hungry!

@Frances do I need to poke holes in the foil to cook with foil on grill (newbie question, certainly=)

@PrincessMommy I’d also like the Chicken Slouvaki recipe.  Do you just put the chicken strips on grill grates or use foil?

ETA - As a Father’s Day gift, I just went to Amazon & ordered DH a stainless grill pan (11” square).  Hopefully that is good (and not superfluous) for at least veggies & small pieces of meat.

Nope, no need to poke holes in the foil. I usually fold over the edges and bring them up a bit to catch any juices.

• Thanks 1