Menu

My son is having spinal surgery and I can't be there!

Teresa in MO

My ds is having a spinal fusion this afternoon and the surgery center is not allowing anyone but the patient in the facility.  My son is 32 years old, but single.  So his roommate is dropping him off and I will pick him up in the morning.  Even though I understand their policy, it is driving me crazy not being there.  The doctor will call me after the surgery is done.  I hate this!

• Sad 13

I am sorry, that must be hard.  My DS had spinal surgery when he was 10 and it was hard waiting even the in waiting room.  I can't imagine not being able to be there.  My FIL had surgery last week and MIL couldn't be there and it was hard for her.  She had some art projects to work on to keep her busy, which she said helped some.

((hugs)) My dd's surgery (at age 16) took about 10 hours, from when they started prepping her to when they wheeled her into her own room.  So expect a long wait.  It will be fine.  They are very good at this kind of surgery these days.  Point of note:  When they ask about pain levels on a scale of 1 to 10, say nothing lower than 6 or 7 because they won't give you crap if you don't understand the scale and say 4.  Pain management the first three days was the hardest part of the whole experience.

4 hours ago, Teresa in MO said:

My ds is having a spinal fusion this afternoon and the surgery center is not allowing anyone but the patient in the facility.  My son is 32 years old, but single.  So his roommate is dropping him off and I will pick him up in the morning.  Even though I understand their policy, it is driving me crazy not being there.  The doctor will call me after the surgery is done.  I hate this!

My DH had a lumbar fusion a few years ago (at MoBap).  I’m surprised he’s being released so quickly, DH was in for three days!  His was a 2-level though, longer surgery and longer recovery.

If you are caring for him afterward, I had to use a whiteboard to keep track of medication timing, especially as he weaned off the narcotics.  It was like tracking newborn feedings, complete with lack of sleep and bathroom help, lol.  Colace, Colace, Colace.  One of those claw grabber tools came in really handy too when he needed to pick things up without bending.

Hope his surgery went well, and he’s on his way to less pain in the future!

I'm sorry...  My dh had two surgeries in the past three weeks, and it was so strange to just drop him off and wave good-bye.  The hospital was great about keeping in touch with me every step of the way.  It actually was almost less stressful to not be there...   Oh, I just now saw your update.  I'm glad it all went well!!  These are such strange times!!