Menu

Vent on USPS

I can’t find the recent thread on lost packages, but I just check the tracking on my All About Spelling shipment and needed to vent.  I ordered a couple sheets of stickers and a silent e book for my son on April 29th.  It shipped on the 30th from Wisconsin via First Class Mail.  I live in Michigan.  From May 1-5 it made it from Wisconsin to the Detroit Distribution Center probably 20 miles from my house from there it shows as arriving in FT. WORTH, TEXAS on May 7th.  They scanned it out the same day and now it is “in transit to the next facility”.  No wonder stuff is taking so long to be delivered if they have it within walking distance of the destination only to send it out halfway across the country.  Ugh!

• Sad 1

I'm sorry that mistake was made.  I know from friends in the PO that things are unreal with people out sick and large volume coming through.  They are so overwhelmed.  We don't even get daily mail right now in my part of Michigan, nor is our post office open daily because they are helping other areas on a rotating basis.  The Detroit Distribution has been especially hard hit, with a least one death that I'm aware of last month.  I hope it's able to move quickly once it's back in MI.  

I mailed a package to my DD via Priority mail, and was told ahead of time it would be 2-3 weeks from Michigan to Colorado, it's been two weeks so far.  Also, none of the delivery dates in the last month have turned out to be accurate.  They are always delayed and usually not updated until after the package arrives.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Valley Girl said:

It's frustrating to be sure. Ours seems unable to properly or in a timely way delivery certified mai, including stuff sent across town.

But those problems predate the pandemic by several months.

I would say it is worse, but not the first time with this situation.  November...lost package scanned in South Carolina on its way to next destination never to be seen again.  A year or so prior, had a package make it to local post office and end up in Flint instead of the truck to my house.  Just the two examples that are burned in my mind, there have been others.  My grandfather and uncle were mail carriers and I think they would be appalled at the state of USPS right now.  I am not sure why we are bothering with daily mail delivery as there is so little being mailed right now.  What I get is delayed anyway.  I received a mailing with a $15 voucher on May 5 with a coupon code that expired on April 20.  Maybe instead of using resources driving through every neighborhood every day some of those people could help in other areas.  

I stopped sending packages through USPS a few years ago.  How they are still around without some major restructuring, is wondering. Last week, I received something that was mailed in February and the coupon attached, expired in March.  I can’t even get my regular mail delivered correctly on a good day or before COVID 19.  I have complained and nothing.  The best was when I took an entire box of mail that was mistakenly deliver to me over a week to the PO. These were not anywhere close to my address. It was like he was just sticking his hand in the bag randomly and shoving it in any box.  The person in charge goes-  Your postman is supposed to wear glasses but he doesn’t like them.

• Confused 3

My main problem is with my carrier.  She messes up our deliveries today and then gets mad at me when I call the post office to find out where my package is when tracking shows "delivered" but it's not (this just happened again today).  Last week, she left a note in my mailbox because she was mad that I called the post office - like it's my fault.  She has commented to DH that I "panic" when I don't get my packages.  I'm not sure what she expects me to do when tracking shows packages have been delivered, but I don't have them.  She delivered someone else's medication to our house once and we brought it to the correct house and the woman was so angry and upset that she headed to the P.O. the next day to complain.  After that, someone put a note in our mailbox saying to only put mail in there that has our address.  Isn't that what they are supposed to do anyway without a note?  We've had so many problems with our carrier that I worry she will do something to our mail.  

• Like 1

Our local post office is great. They have been slammed with increased volume. My mail lady said that they have Christmas like volume right now and they are exhausted. 

Quality of mail service seems to vary by area.  I have lived in some places where the service is terrible and other places where the service is great.