Menu

Happy with your (purchased) mask?

alisoncooks

If so, would you mind sharing where you found it? There's about a gazillion new etsy sellers selling masks, with minimal reviews. I'd like to see some positive feedback before purchasing.

I'm ready to invest in some actual masks (and not my cobbled together versions).  I don't sew and I don't have fabric at my house -- so easy or not, I'm not going to make them.  

I particularly like the look of the ones that go up to a lil' point on the bridge of the nose and down around the chin -- does that style have a name?  

Anyone here have an etsy shop? I'd be glad to send my business to a boardie!

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

My mom calls it duck bill. Not sure whether that's official or not. Hah!

You'll need to keep in mind that they really aren't one size fits all. I wouldn't buy one with less than seven inches of elastic for each loop. A lot of patterns call for less and I can't fathom how they fit anyone. Also, the higher the thread count of the fabric, the better. My mom puts a layer of lightweight interfacing in hers too. More is not better for breathing, though. Two layers of regular interfacing in between two layers of fabric was too dense for me. Couldn't breathe.

7 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

If so, would you mind sharing where you found it? There's about a gazillion new etsy sellers selling masks, with minimal reviews. I'd like to see some positive feedback before purchasing.

I'm ready to invest in some actual masks (and not my cobbled together versions).  I don't sew and I don't have fabric at my house -- so easy or not, I'm not going to make them.  

I particularly like the look of the ones that go up to a lil' point on the bridge of the nose and down around the chin -- does that style have a name?  

Anyone here have an etsy shop? I'd be glad to send my business to a boardie!

Locally I have noticed people on Nextdoor having masks available, or seeking them... or able to make them to order.  It actually started with a post of someone who was seeking to buy. And then more and more posts on that. 

It seems like maybe a better way to get them than long distance currently.  And people local to you who sew may be able to make the type you want in sizes that will work for you.   

It looks like people are finding safe Distance ways to meet so that they can get the masks, try them for a week or so on one person, and if they work, get additional for whole family  without shipping issues.  It cuts out lost or stolen in mail problems.

• Like 1

There are several people on my neighborhood FB page who are either selling them for a reasonable price ($4 or $5 each seems common) or for a donation. An alterations shop right up the street is making them and while they're asking for donations, they're giving them away for free to anyone who can't afford a donation. The city nearest me is also working on an initiative to get a mask to everyone. They're making them available for free through some churches and other community groups, and also offering them for sale ($2.50 each) at some of the local grocery stores. I bought ours from a lady on our neighborhood FB group. They were $4 each. She left them in her mailbox and people could pick them up and leave their money. So contactless pickup. I've been happy wih them.

That's a long winded way of saying check on some local resources if you can. They might be your best bet, although you'd have to take whatever style was available.

• Like 1

I have been making them and I did recently throw a couple up on my Etsy shop. (I have had an Etsy for a long time, but had not put any items up for sale in a few years.) I do make the contoured shape mask, which I believe is what you are asking for. My shop is called The Purple Quill, but if you want to communicate with me on here, I can sell it a bit cheaper. 

I have other fabrics besides what is on the shop. It’s just so very tedious to put up each one. 

45B409BD-8756-464B-B34B-F5BA113B5FBF.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Quill said:

I have been making them and I did recently throw a couple up on my Etsy shop. (I have had an Etsy for a long time, but had not put any items up for sale in a few years.) I do make the contoured shape mask, which I believe is what you are asking for. My shop is called The Purple Quill, but if you want to communicate with me on here, I can sell it a bit cheaper. 

I have other fabrics besides what is on the shop. It’s just so very tedious to put up each one. 

Observing masks recently , I want to point out that I like that this mask looks like it goes well back on face and well down on chin and appears to have room to move mouth to talk.  

I have seen some that look gappy (not happy! Big gaps when moving jaws to speak) on sides or too small on chin when people try to talk—which may be part of why some people are pulling masks down to talk. 

Eta: for your Etsy, the picture on face showing fit (even if top were blurred for privacy) may help a lot compared to just the masks themselves .  

Edited by Pen
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Quill said:

Yes! These are the style I like. (LOL, who cares how they look -PANDEMIC! - but still, a gal has to have standards...)

I'm going to PM you, if you don't mind. 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Observing masks recently , I want to point out that I like that this mask looks like it goes well back on face and well down on chin and appears to have room to move mouth to talk.  

I have seen some that look gappy (not happy! Big gaps when moving jaws to speak) on sides or too small on chin when people try to talk—which may be part of why some people are pulling masks down to talk. 

Eta: for your Etsy, the picture on face showing fit (even if top were blurred for privacy) may help a lot compared to just the masks themselves .  

Yes, I really like the fit of this pattern. It stays put when I speak and doesn’t gap. 

I do want to put pictures of the masks as worn on Etsy, it’s just sooooo tedious when I’m putting up a listing, because there’s a bunch of info to input for each listing and I have to have taken a good picture of the mask, too. But you’re right!  I’ll try to get that done this week! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quill said:

Oh, I should have asked here first! Darn! I just ordered a few, but I don’t know the seller. I totally would have preferred to buy them from you, Quill! 
This is the style I like best, too. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Yes! These are the style I like. (LOL, who cares how they look -PANDEMIC! - but still, a gal has to have standards...)

I'm going to PM you, if you don't mind. 🙂

And here’s something funny about how it looks: in the grocery store today, I kept looking at people’s masks...”Oh, that’s a good one; look at how well it fits....oh, that one is dreadful; it looks like she balled up a sweatshirt and taped it on...hey, that’s clever; that guy’s bands legit look like rubber bands...” 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Oh, I should have asked here first! Darn! I just ordered a few, but I don’t know the seller. I totally would have preferred to buy them from you, Quill! 
This is the style I like best, too. 🙂 

It’s all good. 🙂 I have plenty to keep me busy. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Quill said:

And here’s something funny about how it looks: in the grocery store today, I kept looking at people’s masks...”Oh, that’s a good one; look at how well it fits....oh, that one is dreadful; it looks like she balled up a sweatshirt and taped it on...hey, that’s clever; that guy’s bands legit look like rubber bands...” 

I totally do the same thing 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

Totally agree--but it also depends on the width of the mask.  The masks I make are 7" across, with 6.5" elastic ears.  If the ears were any longer *on this particular mask* the mask wouldn't pull tight against the face.  

I have given away about 75 masks.  I'm not selling them, though because in this litigious society, I am not willing to be sued when someone gets CoVid-19.  I have noticed a couple of things when people post photos of themselves in my masks.  

• For most people the width is great--but these masks are NOT for little kids or people who have smaller-than-average faces.  Before you buy something online, do some face measuring to see what will work for YOU and for anyone else who is going to wear a mask.  
  • The elastics/ties go on the outside of the mask, to pull it tight to your face.  
  • The elastic ears get old after an hour or so.  I wear my elastic ears on short walks, but for longer-duration wear, I much prefer the ones with ties/ribbons.  If you get elastic ears, find a way to link the elastics together or to buttons on a hat--our bottled water seller was actually raw behind his ears after having to wear elastic ears all day.  

So do I!

I'm not really a "mask expert"--I'm just saying some things I have noticed.  

About the suing - even for donated masks, this disclaimer, we were warned, should be included with every mask. We were told to state that it is not medical grade, to avoid using the term “surgical”, even if the styling *is* called that, and to disclaim that it is absolutely not guaranteed to prevent any disease, including COVID-19. We are also supposed to declare the type of material(s) and include washing instructions. So I do include a little flyer/instruction sheet with any orders I send out, whether free of charge or for pay. Either way. 

• Like 1

Sol true! My mom has made a couple hundred (between 100-200, I don't know the exact count) and is also giving them away.

I find the elastic ear loop ones work better for me, but my husband does complain about several of his masks hurting his nose and ears after a bit. He wears them up to 8-10 hours a day many days. He trades different styles throughout the day. I have long hair, and the tie ones cause my hair to look and feel funny. It slips up above the lower tie in the back. They might work better if I put my hair up. DH hasn't tried the tie version yet. He likes how quickly he can put on and remove the ear loop ones. I hear other people really like the tie masks, though. And, I can totally understand how they are probably more comfortable for a lot of people.

13 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

Totally agree--but it also depends on the width of the mask.  The masks I make are 7" across, with 6.5" elastic ears.  If the ears were any longer *on this particular mask* the mask wouldn't pull tight against the face.  

I have given away about 75 masks.  I'm not selling them, though because in this litigious society, I am not willing to be sued when someone gets CoVid-19.  I have noticed a couple of things when people post photos of themselves in my masks.  

• For most people the width is great--but these masks are NOT for little kids or people who have smaller-than-average faces.  Before you buy something online, do some face measuring to see what will work for YOU and for anyone else who is going to wear a mask.  
  • The elastics/ties go on the outside of the mask, to pull it tight to your face.  
  • The elastic ears get old after an hour or so.  I wear my elastic ears on short walks, but for longer-duration wear, I much prefer the ones with ties/ribbons.  If you get elastic ears, find a way to link the elastics together or to buttons on a hat--our bottled water seller was actually raw behind his ears after having to wear elastic ears all day.  

So do I!

I'm not really a "mask expert"--I'm just saying some things I have noticed. 

I forgot about cord locks. I meant to look for them when I went out into the "wilds" about a month ago, forgot, and haven't thought to look since. Have you, by chance, found a good source for them online?

19 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

I have both ear loop and tie ones, for different uses.  If I am just going out quickly and not wearing my hearing aids, I use the ear loops--they ARE easier to put on. 

The tie ones I made use ribbon and cord-locks--so they don't really take that much longer to put on...but I have to say (and this is why I quoted that one part of your post), it helps a lot to put the top tie on top of my head, not behind it.  It keeps the mask from slipping--and I wonder if it would work with your long hair?  The ribbon on the bottom goes behind my head beneath my ears, so my ears hold that one in place.  Just a thought!  :0)

You can get a pair of cord locks with an opening that would fit the ties and see if that made it easier for your dh to wear the masks with ties, because they really ARE a lot more comfortable for the 8-10 hours-a-day crowd and less "fiddly" than tying bows in the ties.