Menu

Do I want the Math Facts That Stick books?

happypamama

My kiddos are rising 2nd, 4th, and 6th graders and could probably still use some practice with facts, especially multiplication and division.  Anyone using these books and finding that they really do work?  Do they work well to use with multiple kiddos at the same time, like in a mini classroom?  Do the PDFs print well?

2 hours ago, JoyKM said:

I have only used the addition facts that stick program due to my kids’ ages and would say that it is a decent supplemental resource because it basically uses games to practice the math facts. The fact that all three of your kids are old enough to do the games without you is perfect because once you teach them a game (as a group is totally doable) they can play with each other.  Addition Facts has six games for six different sets of facts. I bought the pdf, printed the teacher part regularly for myself, put all of the practice pages in page protectors so we could use expo markers on them, and put the “game board” pieces in page protectors instead of laminating them. Everything is in a 2in 3ring binder including a cheap pencil pouch that contains all of the basic household items that are used as game pieces (I do not want to go hunting around for anything—just break out the binder and go).  I’d say focus specifically on the operations you think they need.  Try out multiplication only and see of the way they do things works for ya’ll. 

Thanks so much!  That is a really helpful review.  It does sound like it may work very nicely for us.  I love the idea of a binder as well.  We are a bit bored with math lately, LOL; the younger two are in the 2nd and 3rd grade Singapore books, and tbh, there are a lot of parts that are necessary but kind of tedious, plus we have been enjoying a bit of change due to the lockdowns, so I'm thinking they really may like doing a bit of playing while solidifying their facts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, barnwife said:

For your situation, I'd say it could be good. It didn't work for us. My kids don't want games...they just want get 'er done. But if your kids would enjoy playing games together, it could be perfect!

If we took a break from other math, yeah, they'd probably go for it, lol!

I like them as supplements over the summer.  Kids can play them without my help once they learn the rules of the game.  They aren't my only way of solidifying facts, or my favorite way, but I do like the books.  We also use the FlashMaster and flashcards.  But I do think they are definitely worth it.

• Like 1

We recently finished the multiplication book and started the division book. My son shed so many tears over timed fact fluency apps. He truly could not handle the stress and as a result, he did not seem to retain the facts long term. I proposed switching to the Facts That Stick books and I’m glad we did!

I take the books apart and and put the game boards and practice sheets in page protectors. Every school day, he alternates between playing a game (against me) or doing a practice sheet (with dry erase marker). Is it totally thrilling? Nope. It’s rather boring, actually. But it doesn’t take long, it isn’t stressful, and the facts really have stuck! A total win for us.

• Like 2

The facts DO stick, hurrah. 

It was brilliant for #2, who loves stuff in game form and will cheerfully follow instructions.  He played the games with his older brother each day and then did the assigned practice, with me teaching first if teaching was scheduled.  He much, much preferred doing game before practice 'cause it helped him have the facts all warmed up in his mind.  I ran it as a supplement, usually before our math program.

It would have been a disaster for #1, who repurposed all game pieces and hated following rules as given when he was the right age for it.  He likes the games plenty good now that he's 14 and wants a break from his "real" math.  🙂  

ETA: agreeing with above RE timed stuff: my younger just crumples under any sort of timed drill, and often dawdles without a timer.  The practice pages were short enough to keep him focused without the timer. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 6:11 PM, Jentrovert said:

Are any of those who have used the Facts that Stick books able to say if they are similar to the Right Start games? If I already own the RS games book, would I get anything substantially different with the Facts that Stick books?

+1

Literally JUST asked this exact question in another thread I started. Hope someone here can shed some light. 

• Like 1

The RS games kit covers everything from addition to fractions, so it’s hard to compare. For addition they have several games (don’t have it in front of me so haven’t counted) you would have to read about each game and then play and figure out which ones you liked and preferred. Many options in that book.

AFTS has I believe only a few games for each fact group, so not overwhelming. They are simple and take less than 5min each to read about and play. Simple approach.

i have both but prefer AFTS (or any in the series) just due to the fact that I need quick and easy for my brain. I don’t have time to read through long explanations for games. As a side note, we now just flash cards for math facts and use Times Tales for multiplication facts and it’s working well.

I like RS but for easy and affordable I’d go with Kate Snows books instead. No fluff and gets it done. IF you like games. Hope that helps!

i like the binder set up too, we may revisit this for my younger set of kiddos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use RightStart as our math curriculum and really like it. I must think like Cotter in some ways;) I don't however like the games. I find them tedious and too many pieces.

I have used addition, subtraction, and multiplication facts that stick. I am going to order the division one for next year. I love the combination of focused oral practice with me (the game) and then worksheet work. I also just got flashcards for more X practice, i haven't found them necessary for + or - yet. We do some part of facts that stick 3 or 4 times a week till the book is over. I do Rightstart B in 1st with addition facts, RightStart C in 2nd with - facts, RightStart D in 3rd with X facts, and RightStart E in 4th with division facts that stick. 

So far i have been able to skip most of the games in RightStart ed2 by subbing in facts that stick and some handwritten drill pages or kumon. 

So I would say that facts that stick are very different from RightStart games;) Facts that stick are more efficient and too the point and more targeted to drilling a small set of facts at a time then adding on to it to achieve mastery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2020 at 11:01 AM, countrymum said:

I use RightStart as our math curriculum and really like it. I must think like Cotter in some ways;) I don't however like the games. I find them tedious and too many pieces.

So I would say that facts that stick are very different from RightStart games;) Facts that stick are more efficient and too the point and more targeted to drilling a small set of facts at a time then adding on to it to achieve mastery.

I haven't figured out how to multiquote on my phone, but thank you both for the replies.

The part I quoted is especially helpful. I use RS, and it's been great in many ways, but I find the games tedious also. It's good to know that the two are different approaches.

My son was crying over math and just could not get the multiplication facts memorized. We tried xtra math to supplement and practice, and I even adjusted the timer to give him twice as much time, but he would freeze up under the pressure and it ended in tears. I stopped his regular curriculum and bought Multiplication and Division Facts that Stick. For a few weeks, we only did Multiplication Facts That Stick for math. He loved the games and we saw great progress. We eventually restarted his normal math, but kept doing Multiplication Facts that Stick, and then Divisions Facts that Stick alongside. It really got us over a hurdle, and without the crying and defeatism.

Edited by hdollenger

The addition and subtraction facts really, really worked for my kiddo.  Like he had been trying to learn the addition facts for two years, by several different methods (Math U See, just rote memorization, those keys with the strings that let you practice, regular worksheets).   He could not get it.   This worked, though I took two weeks with nearly all the levels in stead of 1.   Same for subtraction.   We're doing multiplication too but he's sort of getting burned out on the games, because they are the same games just re-done to work with multiplication.   I also feel like the lessons for that are not as visually powerful as the addition/subtraction ones.