Menu

Any thoughts on St. John's College, MD/NM?

I'm from MD, and St. Johns has a good reputation there, but I don't know any specifics about the school.

My dh has a BA degree from Southeastern College of Wake Forest. The college has a History of Ideas (great books) program that is outstanding and very rigorous. This is a Baptist college affiliated with a Baptist seminary.

Edited by LizzyBee

I did not go, but I have friends whose siblings and children attended both locations. The impressions I have gotten is those who do graduate have an amazing education. However, the schools both have heavy drug influences. Because of the complete difference in approach, if you do not finish your degree, you will have no credits to transfer to another school. One person I know graduated and went to law school and did very well in law school. One person did well, but decided his career choice was really merchant marine and started again at the merchant marine academy. Both these people, one successful at NM campus and the other successful at the Annapolis campus talked about drugs being a major past time at the schools. dh best friend's child got involved in drugs and dropped out and has not yet pulled himself together.

We live close to the NM campus and my impression is that it would work for an older student who can handle the druggie atmosphere....

That said, if you are looking for an identical curriculum and accept non-secular(!), then Thomas Aquinas College is excellent. Truly! Small, excellent tutors(teachers) and absolutely no drugs or alcohol!

Mary

Not only does it get great reviews from Princeton reviews for great value, low class sizes but the students are happy.

It is a Catholic College but there are plenty of non-Catholics enjoying great discussions and Classical studies.

I have a son there now and my daughter graduated from there a few years ago. Their graduates do often go on to law school verys succesfully. My son is interested in Architecture and isn't worried about getting into graduate school.

http://www.thomasaquinas.edu/curriculum/index.htm

I was able to attend a talk given by the president of New St Andrews ( a reformed college) and was very impressed! My oldest daughter, who is/was in public school, was VERY impressed and would like to consider it. They take no financial aid, but are on the low end of tuition costs. (right now it was $9200 a year) They have a true "liberal arts" program and have a mixture of students, with a huge amount being homeschooled. (and not reformed)

Carrie:-)

Edited by NayfiesMama
I hadn't put "New"...

I was able to attend a talk given by the president of St Andrews ( a reformed college) and was very impressed! My oldest daughter, who is/was in public school, was VERY impressed and would like to consider it. They take no financial aid, but are on the low end of tuition costs. (right now it was $9200 a year) They have a true "liberal arts" program and have a mixture of students, with a huge amount being homeschooled. (and not reformed)

Carrie:-)

According to wikipedia N.D. Wilson got his Master's at St. John's.

OK, I just saw that someone else asked about St. John's last February and after doing further internet research it doesn't look very promising. My idea of diversity is probably a little naive.

Honestly? I would send either of my older kids there because they are both grounded as to who they are and what they believe. I wouldn't send a kid who was easily led, or a kid who was "finding himself." But for a grounded kid? Without hesitation.

Honestly? I would send either of my older kids there because they are both grounded as to who they are and what they believe. I wouldn't send a kid who was easily led, or a kid who was "finding himself." But for a grounded kid? Without hesitation.

I just want a place where he can be respected, you know? He doesn't mind arguing and defending his views and he's humble enough to admit he doesn't have all the answers (says his proud mom :D), but respect goes a long way.

Douglas Wilson is a founder of New Saint Andrews. The fact that he received part of his education at St. Johns may be interesting to someone who is looking at one or both of these colleges.

Right :001_smile: N.D. (Nathan), his son, went to St. John's for his graduate studies after attending St. Andrews, I just thought it was interesting. Sometimes I forget to be clear.

I just want a place where he can be respected, you know? He doesn't mind arguing and defending his views and he's humble enough to admit he doesn't have all the answers (says his proud mom :D), but respect goes a long way.

Back when I was doing gifted educators' conferences in NJ and PA, I would hang out for a couple of days with the SJ students. I was always more than impressed.

Yes, Karen, that is where Nate went for his Master's, and I also know a couple other people who went there briefly, but never finished. I love the idea of the school, but it does sound like it can be a tough situation for many students...

Edited by Leah

I have two friends who attended St. John's, one at each campus. Both say that the atmosphere was very "druggie" and not at all friendly to people of faith. There are a number of Christian colleges with similar curricula that I would consider before St. John's: TAC, Magdalen, Wyoming Catholic, Gutenberg, Thomas More.... Many are Catholic, but very open to non-Catholics.

Thanks Drew. I just ordered a book I believe you recommended, "All-American Colleges: Top Schools for Conservatives, Old-Fashioned Liberals, and People of Faith." Funny thing is after looking over the TOC I believe St. John's is recommended. With all the drug and alcohol abuse in my own family I really don't want my son tempt by that stuff.

Have you ever been to Santa Fe?

I love the diverse culture, but I have several christian friends that have gone to ST. John's for summer classes and they hated everything about the place.

I think it depends on the person and what kind of people they like being around.

Every!!! group that you can imagine is represented there, but God can be found anywhere, IMHO~

You know your child, but I would highly recommend a visit there to feel out the culture......

I hope to live in Santa Fe someday, but probably after my kids are grown.

Mostly due to the housing prices, yikes!!!

I've heard great things about Thomas Aquinas College, and both are on the list of hopefuls for my boys~

That being said, the academics at St. Johns is second to none in classical circles.

Edited by 5Youngs
grammar

My oldest shows signs of being a very thoughtful, solid type, and he might be OK, but it's a rough environment for Christians. I grew up an hour from there, my very liberal, New Age aunt got her master's there and is still on the board, and I had friends from Intervarsity there that I got to know at state-wide events when I was a student at New Mexico Tech (also a place with few Christians).

You have to be extremely solid in your beliefs and able to hold your own againsts both the students and professors. The environment is indeed challenging at times, although not everyone participates. One Christian girl I know got hazed pretty badly for her choice of dress and personal care (light makeup, shaving her legs).

It will be something to weigh when we get closer because of the relatives close by, but I'll be very circumspect of course.