Menu

Fun audiobook for boy/girl 9 yr olds?

One is particularly advanced but it doesn’t matter. Looong drives once a week. We finished Bud not Buddy last (I’m cycling through the audiobooks I had with DS ❤️), she thought it too sad, he loved it.

i might give A series of Unfortunate Events another whirl, though she will protest. Any other suggestions? 

Edited by madteaparty

I thought Nim's Island was good for both boys and girls - girl heroine but desert island type survival?

The Artemis Fowl books are read by a man with an Irish accent so they really enhance the books. Not sure if you mind the fart jokes and the anti-hero/villain idea, though he fairly quickly becomes a hero.

And even though your kids are a little old for them, I found the Paddington audiobooks narrated by Stephen Fry to be excellent even for my enjoyment, and the Jim Broadbent Winnie the Pooh books (which are really very clever). Broadbent is my favorite though I know not many people agree.

Likewise I prefer the Stephen Fry Harry Potter by leaps and bounds (and it's about 30% longer too, since he enunciates and acts so well). Those would keep you busy for a while!

Freddy goes to Florida

James Herriot's Treasury for Children

The Chronicles of Narnia (We prefer the non-dramatised, single reader versions.) 

The Hobbit (unabridged with Rob Inglis reading)

Winnie the Pooh

Beatrix Potter's stories

Treasure Island read by Alfred Molina

The Tale of Despereaux 

The Trumpet of the Swan and/or Charlotte's Web, read by E. B. White himself!

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

The Railway Children (or other E Nesbit books)

Swallows and Amazons

Some my whole family has enjoyed over the years (they're 7, 10 and 12 right now)

-Ramona series, Henry Higgins series, Ralph and the Motorcycle series, Wingfeather Saga, Hank the Cow Dog series, Harry Potter series (the first few are appropriate for the under 10 set), The Hobbit and The Penderwicks series.  We own them on Audible and they have been listened to REPEATEDLY, literally for years and years, for all three kids (two boys and a girl).

ETA Also, books by Roald Dahl.  Mine especially love Matilda.

Edited by Tawlas