Menu

Chicken soup question

MEmama

If I make a chicken soup around 2:30-3, and want to turn the heat off but not refrigerate it before dinner at 5:30, is that okay? I'll heat it to a simmer again around 5. 

Safe or not safe?

I'm brand new to cooking with chicken and a little paranoid. My parents used to keep a pot of it in the garage (not in a fridge, just on a shelf), so it’s not like I have great role models. *I'm* not trying to kill my family. Lol

5 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

A NICU nurse friend of mine followed a "3 hour rule;" she would be ok with leaving food out 3 hours. You are good. 

5 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Up to 4 hours is absolutely fine 

This is helpful. I’m used to being somewhat unfussed (by Hive standards, anyway) with food, but it’s always been vegetarian. I’d totally have left one my regular soups out for hours without a thought, but Chicken is brand new territory and I’m not sure what the “rules” are. 

I’m from the upper Midwest. Storing food in the garage or porch during winter can be safe if the temp of that room is below 40. We occasionally use our garage if we know the temperature. My husband grew up with a living room where the water in the Christmas tree would freeze. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Acorn said:

I’m from the upper Midwest. Storing food in the garage or porch during winter can be safe if the temp of that room is below 40. We occasionally use our garage if we know the temperature. My husband grew up with a living room where the water in the Christmas tree would freeze. 

Yes, I agree it makes sense in cold climates (although with chicken?? ). My folks live in California, though, where the garage definitely never gets anywhere close to fridge temps.

Funny that other people do this!