Menu

Garden people: Help me decide what to plant (spring thread)! / What will you plant this year? 🌻🥬

Pen

I'm relatively new to gardening. I have 4 small raised beds and plan to add 3 bigger ones this spring. I'm in the SE zone 8b. I have planted way too many seeds. I need to have a plant sale! lol For flowers I've started nasturtium, marigold, impatiens, allysum, hollyhock...oh and trying to grow crocus for saffron. We'll see. Big experiment. I've never planted bulbs of any kind.

Peppers: Anaheim chili, and sweet orange bell

Okra: Alabama Red and Clemson Spineless

Rosita Eggplant

purple tomatillo

Tomatoes:  Curtis Cheek, Giant of Siebenburgen, Lithuanian Crested Pink, Lithuanian, Armenian, Azoychka. I'll probably grow some Better Boys and Supersweet 100s, too. But I'll buy plants since those varieties are everywhere.

My little cheapo hobby greenhouse is FULL. I start the seeds inside and then move them to the greenhouse once I can pot up. 

We've had a mild winter, so I've been growing mustard, lettuce, turnips, cabbage, and carrots since last fall in my raised beds. I just cover with a frost blanket when it gets below freezing. I'm frustrated with the carrots. They are too slow! I guess my beds have too much nitrogen. No shoulders yet. They've got till mid April then I'm pulling them up!  

I love, love, love my buttercrunch lettuce. I tried romaine, but it all died. 

I will direct sow beets next week. Later watermelon, yellow squash, beans.

My biggest challenge is the deer. WE are covered up. I have bird netting over hoops right now. I didn't think it would be enough, but it's working so far. I have a motion activated sprinkler that scares them off pretty well in summer. We are also getting a fence in March. But it will only 5 ft tall. Not much of a deterent. 😕

I love this thread! I love seeing what everyone is growing! 

Edited by popmom

On 2/19/2020 at 1:21 PM, KungFuPanda said:

I wish I had enough sun for fruit trees.  I read a book called "Grow a Little Fruit Tree" and I've been obsessed ever since.  In my imaginary orchard my trees are trained small enough to care for them without a ladder.  Unless the big tree in the front goes, I just don't have the sun for even a tiny orchard.  I have to be happy with fruits that don't mind a bit of shade.

I have a Meyer lemon and a navel orange in the shade of the Magolia in the back yard.  The fruit takes longer to ripen but it gets there, and it holds on the tree really well.  You might try one or both of those.  They are also among the least frost tender of the citruses.

• Like 1

Update:  All of my seeds have arrived!  

Also, I went and looked at avocado and citrus trees.  Am leaning toward a Fuente avocado that is supposed to have a long fruiting season, but it's supposed to have full sun, and I was figuring on the (morning sun) back yard.  Am still considering what to do.  In other news, there is a new to me citrus called a Mandarquat or something like that--kumquat sized little fruits that you eat whole but are sweeter than regular kumquats.  Do I want a tree full of those?  I might!  But first I think I need another lime, probably a Mexican lime.  

24 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I have a Meyer lemon and a navel orange in the shade of the Magolia in the back yard.  The fruit takes longer to ripen but it gets there, and it holds on the tree really well.  You might try one or both of those.  They are also among the least frost tender of the citruses.

It never occurred to me that I could grow either of those in Maryland.  I wonder if people bring them indoors in the winter.  My problem is that I want one of everything.  After this thread started, I 'may' have impulsively put my name on the waiting list for a community plot.  Those are in full sun and I'm dreaming of a tiny orchard 😁 It's @Pen's fault for starting the conversation.

Just today I've determined that my life will be incomplete without some wild ginger and a spicebush.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

It never occurred to me that I could grow either of those in Maryland.  I wonder if people bring them indoors in the winter.  My problem is that I want one of everything.  After this thread started, I 'may' have impulsively put my name on the waiting list for a community plot.  Those are in full sun and I'm dreaming of a tiny orchard 😁 It's @Pen's fault for starting the conversation.

Just today I've determined that my life will be incomplete without some wild ginger and a spicebush.

It’s easier to do what grows well in ones area I found.  

You might want to learn from my btdt 😄

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm not sure whether they will grow well or not, but I HAVE heard of people keeping a dwarf lemon tree in a big pot and bringing the whole thing inside or at least into a sunny mudroom during the winter.  I would think that you could at least grow blueberries and apples if you want fruit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I'm not sure whether they will grow well or not, but I HAVE heard of people keeping a dwarf lemon tree in a big pot and bringing the whole thing inside or at least into a sunny mudroom during the winter.  I would think that you could at least grow blueberries and apples if you want fruit.

I'm growing strawberries, blueberries, gooseberries, raspberries, currants, a fig, and a quince.   I don't have enough sun for most fruit trees.  I'm seriously considering taking a chance on a sour cherry.  I'm greedy though and would like to train a small orchard of trees to be about 5 feet tall. I just don't have full sun anywhere in my garden.  I think a community plot (5 minutes away) could round it all out for me.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, popmom said:

I thought this only mattered if you are saving seeds. Hmmm. So yellow and green squash are a no go?

I have not had the problem.  My zucchini  have stayed zucchini.  My acorn squash has stayed acorn.  My crookneck has stayed crookneck. And my pumpkins always fail entirely.  

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 1:44 PM, Patty Joanna said:

I hope we do some major work this spring, but at the moment I just wanted to thank you for starting this thread.  It reminded me that I had to get after my hydrangeas.  

I am going to try hydrangeas again. Two have died so far and I have no clue why. Perhaps too much sun?

In our new location, I will try them on the East side which is the front of the house. They will get morning to noon sun but not the hot afternoon sun. I love the large hydrangeas I see in other people's yards. 😞

Aside from that, I will plant hollyhocks. The house we moved into last May came with over twenty rose bushes...I have nothing against roses but the one by the entrance gate can grab you in an unpleasant way. I am thinking of tearing that one out and replacing it with hollyhocks.

Vegetables: In raised beds, we will likely plant tomatoes, peppers and carrots. I'd like to plant chard or kale but have to check if these are winter crop in this area. Fortunately, we already have a large lemon tree and two peach trees that produce very nicely.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Update:  All of my seeds have arrived!  

Also, I went and looked at avocado and citrus trees.  Am leaning toward a Fuente avocado that is supposed to have a long fruiting season, but it's supposed to have full sun, and I was figuring on the (morning sun) back yard.  Am still considering what to do.  In other news, there is a new to me citrus called a Mandarquat or something like that--kumquat sized little fruits that you eat whole but are sweeter than regular kumquats.  Do I want a tree full of those?  I might!  But first I think I need another lime, probably a Mexican lime.  

But Fuentes don't taste good. At least IMO. Too watery. Not enough fat. This variety lacks what makes avocados so delicious and culinarily useful.

Are you sure?

Bill

3 hours ago, Spy Car said:

But Fuentes don't taste good. At least IMO. Too watery. Not enough fat. This variety lacks what makes avocados so delicious and culinarily useful.

Are you sure?

Bill

We had Fuentes Avocados at our other house and they were very creamy. Now I am wondering if it was a Fuente. Very smooth skin (unlike Hass) and more elongated shape. Usually ripened in winter.

• Like 1

I would like to grow elderberry bushes this year. I looked up some of the popular online sellers and most of the varieties that have not been sold out are incompatible with my zone. Anyone growing elderberries with recommendations for a good online source? I would also like recommendations for good varieties.

In ideal conditions, how many years will it take to fruit? Thanks.

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

I would like to grow elderberry bushes this year. I looked up some of the popular online sellers and most of the varieties that have not been sold out are incompatible with my zone. Anyone growing elderberries with recommendations for a good online source? I would also like recommendations for good varieties.

In ideal conditions, how many years will it take to fruit? Thanks.

I’d want Black (Sambucus Nigra) not red. 

Reputable online (or by phone or mail) source  in my experience excellent  for anything they carry:   Fedco Trees (in Maine)

No idea how long they take to fruit, but Fedco should know.  I have elderberry here, but it already was established when I moved here. Don’t know how long it took nor specific variety. 

You know that parts of elderberry plants are poisonous, right? 

Edited by Pen

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I’d want Black (Sambucus Nigra) not red. 

Reputable online (or by phone or mail) source  in my experience excellent  for anything they carry:   Fedco Trees (in Maine)

No idea how long they take to fruit, but Fedco should know.  I have elderberry here, but it already was established when I moved here. Don’t know how long it took nor specific variety. 

You know that parts of elderberry plants are poisonous, right? 

Thanks, I will look at Fedco (stark bros seems to have it as well). I did not plant it so far because parts of the plant are poisonous, but, my child is at an age where he has developed a sense of caution and we will plant it in the backyard with no access to anyone else.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Thanks, I will look at Fedco (stark bros seems to have it as well). I did not plant it so far because parts of the plant are poisonous, but, my child is at an age where he has developed a sense of caution and we will plant it in the backyard with no access to anyone else.

Good.  

The Johns variety on Fedco looks interesting in growing fast.  

https://www.fedcoseeds.com/trees/elderberries

On 2/17/2020 at 5:32 PM, PrincessMommy said:

I've been thinking about doing lettuce inside in pots instead of outside.  Every year I say that but I still haven't gotten around to doing it.  😁

I am thinking of this too. In my sun room that had air conditioning.  Thstcwadcai could grow it all summer long.