Menu

Choosing a gym

Emba

I have decided to join a gym. I have some Christmas money and I have some fitness goals I feel like it would help with. I think I’d only be able to go 2 times a week, tops. 

Its been kind of a slow process for me . I am not a gym person. I hadn’t been to a gym in nearly 20 years until yesterday. Last week I called around. This yesterday I toured a smaller locally owned gym. I liked it. The music was loud, but it was nice and clean and they had free weights - dumbbells and barbells. The guy was very helpful and friendly. Today I actually psyched myself up to go exercise there and found I’d misremembered the hours. So since I was in town, I went to go check out Planet Fitness so as not to waste a trip.

I was immediately struck unfavorably by how big the place is and how very purple everything is. But it’s quiet. And there are were more people but it wasn’t exactly crowded. The staff was equally helpful and friendly. I feel like it is geared more toward beginners, which would be good for me. But the only free weights are dumbbells; all the other weight equipment is machines. A certain amount of personal training is included, though I’m not sure how qualified the trainer is.

Next couple of weeks I’m going to go exercise at each of these places a couple of times to get a better feel for each, but in the meantime, what are your thoughts? What do you like/not like about your gym?

I want to weight train, I’ve read free weights are better for developing functional strength. Am I fixated on something that might not actually matter?

Cost of Planet Fitness is slightly better, but not a determining factor for me. As a side note, both offered a better deal if I paid for the year upfront instead of as a yearlong contract. Like $60 better, but only after I inquired if the option of prepaying the year was available. I don’t like having monthly memberships auto draw on my account, and I do have the Christmas money.

We belong to the YWCA.  It's technically geared for seniors, but anybody can join.  It's not loud.  They have lots of classes, which I like, although they are mainly week day mornings so wouldn't work for a person with an 8 to 5 job.  They also have a weight room and a cardio room (like with treadmills and stair steppers and all those different things).  Those are open til 7pm or so.  They have a heated pool, too and various water-based exercise classes.  Everybody is super nice and no judging at all.

Not sure of the exact free weight situation.

• Like 1

We joined the gym at our local university. It also has a very nice pool which DH enjoys. It has what we need, free weights, dumb bells and machines. This gym is probably the most expensive in the area but after looking at 4 others, they were all so dark. I don’t like being in dark rooms when I know it’s day outside🧐This gym is two levels, various cardio machines on first floor, exercise equipment on the lower level, it has windows on 3 sides. It’s also about 10 minutes drive from our house and we could walk there if we wanted. It doesn’t play any sort of music, which is another plus😊

• Like 1

Agreeing with the others that you might look for other options as well. I work out at the YMCA, and sometimes people will change just for variety, like they feel like they're in a rut. Most people form social relationships and that keeps them going. So unless you're very solitary in habits (which I am, some are), you might find you do better at a place where you're likely to make friends, have a partner, or take a class where you make friends. That's a perk of the Y, lots of classes, lots of social. 

My aunt (70) hired a trainer for a year and committed with a contract. It has worked out really well for her. What are your goals? 

4 hours ago, emba56 said:

I want to weight train, I’ve read free weights are better for developing functional strength.

So weight is going to bring functional improvement when it's dynamic, in motion. But to do that, you're more likely to do well with a trainer or with a well chosen class. Our Y has lots of classes at different levels to make it easy to find a good fit. For instance, you might like the boxing class. :biggrin:  

There's nothing wrong with machines and they can be a really good starting point for people. They allow you to work all the parts of your body very efficiently, with less likelihood of injury. Just for getting stronger from a baseline, they can be good! The studies I read (not many) were that people doing machines would accomplish more in the same amount of time than with free weights, simply because they're more efficient. So as a starting point, they're terrific. I did them, gained a lot of ground with them. 

If you're like oh, I want to do barbell, well that really depends on your starting point. The bar itself is 45 pounds, and so that may or may not be a good starting point for you. When I started barbell, I started with a class at the Y, and that's a really good way. 

Do you have any body pain, old injuries, arthritis, or nagging problems that are likely to flare up? I had some arthritis and strange pains in the morning and eventually I had to deal with them and get PT because they were holding me back. Classes and especially working barbell start on the assumption of you being very balanced, no injuries or problems. So it's a good sign when someone is making sure you do the exercise with each side of your body individually, so you can't mask if one side is weak or have poor form. 

In general, if you have limited time and want to go twice a week, you might really like the results from doing classes. You'd get more of a thought out workout over your entire body in the amount of time you have to give, and the social would help you keep on track. Like I said, most people who stick with it form those social relationships. 

So just in general, I would look at the location that is offering you some entry level classes where you're likely to form relationships and keep going. If it's just a matter of getting on a treadmill, you could watch craigslist and do that at home, kwim? Even weights aren't that expensive, because for the near future the free weights you're likely to need won't max out 25 pounds, meaning any set off amazon (under $100) would do. You could just go to Walmart and pick up a few as you get stronger. So I would be looking for classes, relationships, people like you. I'm not terribly social about how I work out, but even I enjoy having people to talk with at the gym. It kinda keeps you going, because you know they're expecting you. 

PS. Our Y has a steam room. LOVE the steam room. Some days, that's the real reason I go, haha. Motivation.

• Like 3

Do you think you will be able to exercise more than twice a week - meaning outside of the twice a week you could get to a gym? If so, what will you do on your own (bike, run, walk?) and what do you *need* from the gym either from an equipment or accountability perspective?  If I could get to the gym just twice a week but could do some stuff on my own, I would look at something like Orange Theory Fitness because it’s a great overall workout and will advance strength and cardio fitness and their membership prices are built on visits per month.  Or I would out that money towards personal training sessions with a trainer or in a small group.  My friend works out with a trainer in a small group and it’s amazing what she’s accomplished with her group.  Gym membership isn’t necessary as she has a studio at home for the small groups.  

• Like 3

We joined a local Planet Fitness recently.   We used to belong to the Y but it was way more expensive and what they had was limited.  Ours had very few open pool times and not that many machines.

Our Planet Fitness has dumbbells, barbells and kettleballs, as well as all the machines.   We like it.  I have a cheap membership, ds has the more expensive membership and dh goes as ds's guest.  You can bring the same person as a guest as many times as you want, so this works well for us.  We go when dd is at TKD, so we joined the PF right near her dojo.   I liked that it was beginner friendly, had people of all ages and shapes, and was non-intimidating (we're older and out of shape).  We haven't used any of the fitness training or classes but both are available. 

• Like 1

My local gym is great!

It is one big room full of equipment. There are some weights, a treadmill for cardio lovers, a stair machine, some hula hoops, bikes, mats and other machines. Plus there are televisions on one wall and lockers for any belongings. What do I love about it? The gym also has personal trainers too on hand to answer questions and assist if the need arises. The gym does run classes as well. There are also dumbbells to use. Overall I think it is a nice gym and always leave feeling slightly tired and happy post workout. I've been a member for more than two years now and I love it so far. 

I see results already which is good. Additionally, there is a creche so I leave the kids there for a hour and exercise. I have not done any but there are pool based exercise classes available in addition. Make sure to request a induction prior to using the equipment. I had one when I first joined, it is a good idea seriously. A fitness trainer should do one with you. I can even book classes online if I want to but I never really find the time to do so however. 

Side note, I found exercising according to my body type also beneficial. You can find more information about this online. For example if you are a ectomorph, limit cardio. 

• Like 1

I picked my current gym based on (1) location - it is next door to the kid's TKD class and (2) equipment- I wanted to weight train with free weights, most gyms do not have a many free weights and/or barbells.

I did work out at Planet Fitness for several months with my Mom, they do have have lots of room and it is nice and clean. I disliked the lack of weights. I also think that the no judging is BS, they are not real fond of people that are 'too' in shape. I got buzzed once for dropping a weight, I didn't grunt, or slam it but sometimes when you go to failure it ends up dropped (mind you the weight was only 6 inches off the ground when it was dropped). 

I would look at your goals and find a program to follow that meets those goals, it doesn't matter if the gym has all this equipment, you just need it to have what you will use. I prefer free weights myself but lots of people use and enjoy machines and get in great shape with them. A lot of gyms have some weight lifting based classes which could be a good place to start to learn some moves and form. Or some visits with a trainer, those will only be as good as the trainer you get but could be a start. 

The cons of the gym I use- it is loud when they are doing a class inside but that is only a couple hrs a week (I'm just happen to be there for 1 hr of that). It is not as clean as PF but clean enough. They have their stupid classes when I'm there(would be a plus to others but just ticks me off!) using equipment I want to use so I have to work around them. They have too much equipment- I'd prefer to have more free floor space to different barbell/dumbbell exercises but they keep adding in crap.

I only went to the gym twice a week for ages. Mostly I do 3x a week now but it worked. I used gym time to lift and did cardio/stretching/etc at home.

• Like 3

We used to have a Y but it closed. There is a community college but it’s way way out of the way, especially for the two time slots I might reliably have in my week. Really, these two are pretty much it as far as acceptable price + location + hours. This is not an area with lots of options (Orange Theory, etc). Well, there is a community center even closer, but it costs as much as a staffed gym and is unstaffed (key card entry) and dark and just generally not a place I want to work out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, footballmom said:

Do you think you will be able to exercise more than twice a week - meaning outside of the twice a week you could get to a gym? If so, what will you do on your own (bike, run, walk?) and what do you *need* from the gym either from an equipment or accountability perspective?  If I could get to the gym just twice a week but could do some stuff on my own, I would look at something like Orange Theory Fitness because it’s a great overall workout and will advance strength and cardio fitness and their membership prices are built on visits per month.  Or I would out that money towards personal training sessions with a trainer or in a small group.  My friend works out with a trainer in a small group and it’s amazing what she’s accomplished with her group.  Gym membership isn’t necessary as she has a studio at home for the small groups.  

Yes, I already do at least twice a week bodyweight exercise at home. I own a bike, and there’s plenty of road for walking on. I do yoga from videos/the internet. So days I’m not at the gym I’ve got options. I just want to try equipment that isn’t feasible for my home, get out of the house, and learn new stuff.  Yoga classes sound interesting to me, and the smaller gym has them, but otherwise classes are pretty unappealing to me at this point.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PeterPan said:

So weight is going to bring functional improvement when it's dynamic, in motion. But to do that, you're more likely to do well with a trainer or with a well chosen class. Our Y has lots of classes at different levels to make it easy to find a good fit. For instance, you might like the boxing class. :biggrin:  

I would actually love a boxing class, I think, but I have a past injury and if boxing class involves being punched in the head, that would not be an option. There are MMA classes available at my kids TKD studio, but I haven’t looked into them for this reason. I used to do TKD with my kids but it was too hard on my knees.

There's nothing wrong with machines and they can be a really good starting point for people. They allow you to work all the parts of your body very efficiently, with less likelihood of injury. Just for getting stronger from a baseline, they can be good! The studies I read (not many) were that people doing machines would accomplish more in the same amount of time than with free weights, simply because they're more efficient. So as a starting point, they're terrific. I did them, gained a lot of ground with them. 

Do you have any body pain, old injuries, arthritis, or nagging problems that are likely to flare up? I had some arthritis and strange pains in the morning and eventually I had to deal with them and get PT because they were holding me back. Classes and especially working barbell start on the assumption of you being very balanced, no injuries or problems. So it's a good sign when someone is making sure you do the exercise with each side of your body individually, so you can't mask if one side is weak or have poor form. 

You bring up some good points. I’m almost 40. I’m falling apart and partly why I want to strength train is to stave off further falling apart, but injury is a big worry for me, especially regarding weights. I hate cardio, though except things I find fun like biking and roller skating, and I really really enjoy my body weight exercise which I’ve been doing. So I’m really interested in personal training to not hurt myself. And looking into it, I may not be ready for barbells for awhile and dumbbells May be very useful in working up to that. PF had lots of dumbbells.

In general, if you have limited time and want to go twice a week, you might really like the results from doing classes. You'd get more of a thought out workout over your entire body in the amount of time you have to give, and the social would help you keep on track. Like I said, most people who stick with it form those social relationships. 

So just in general, I would look at the location that is offering you some entry level classes where you're likely to form relationships and keep going. If it's just a matter of getting on a treadmill, you could watch craigslist and do that at home, kwim? Even weights aren't that expensive, because for the near future the free weights you're likely to need won't max out 25 pounds, meaning any set off amazon (under $100) would do. You could just go to Walmart and pick up a few as you get stronger. So I would be looking for classes, relationships, people like you. I'm not terribly social about how I work out, but even I enjoy having people to talk with at the gym. It kinda keeps you going, because you know they're expecting you. 

Once I worked out with some friends and it was great for accountability. But working out in a group with strangers is not my idea of fun, honestly. Going to the gym by myself once I figure things out seems like it would be fun. It’s just intimidating now because so much is unknown.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emba56 said:

if boxing class involves being punched in the head,

You're wilder than I am, lol. No, at the Y it's punching a heavy bag, learning some technique, getting more confident, and doing drills like ladders. Makes you feel a little more bad (confident), but no potential for injury. The most we've ever done is spar into hand pads, which is fun.

Once I worked out with some friends and it was great for accountability. But working out in a group with strangers is not my idea of fun, honestly. Going to the gym by myself once I figure things out seems like it would be fun. It’s just intimidating now because so much is unknown.

Our Y has a service where someone will make you a plan and then you implement it for a month. 

I really really enjoy my body weight exercise which I’ve been doing.

Ooo this is good! Have you considered pilates? Our Y has pilates and yoga and also this thing called reformer pilates that is done lying down with resistance options. 

Your idea to add weight makes a lot of sense. If you decide not to use a class or trainer, you might like some books.                                             Delavier's Women's Strength Training Anatomy Workouts                                       This is one I have, but we've had threads where people mentioned others.                                             Strong Curves: A Woman's Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body                                       I just got this through the library and also his Glute Lab book. His reputation and degree label notwithstanding, I find him a little hairbrained, less reliable. Delavier's stuff is just very calm, measured. I've read several of his books and really like them. But yeah, for the back and knee problems, there's nothing like working your gluts. That's what I ended up doing in PT.

I'm curious, what have you been doing for bodyweight exercises? Bodyweight is good. Just for fun, have you seen this? I had seen videos by some of these people on Tasty, so it was cute to see them training. It made me think more about what my *goals* are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

You're wilder than I am, lol. No, at the Y it's punching a heavy bag, learning some technique, getting more confident, and doing drills like ladders. Makes you feel a little more bad (confident), but no potential for injury. The most we've ever done is spar into hand pads, which is fun.

Our Y has a service where someone will make you a plan and then you implement it for a month. 

Ooo this is good! Have you considered pilates? Our Y has pilates and yoga and also this thing called reformer pilates that is done lying down with resistance options. 

Your idea to add weight makes a lot of sense. If you decide not to use a class or trainer, you might like some books.                                             Delavier's Women's Strength Training Anatomy Workouts                                       This is one I have, but we've had threads where people mentioned others.                                             Strong Curves: A Woman's Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body                                       I just got this through the library and also his Glute Lab book. His reputation and degree label notwithstanding, I find him a little hairbrained, less reliable. Delavier's stuff is just very calm, measured. I've read several of his books and really like them. But yeah, for the back and knee problems, there's nothing like working your gluts. That's what I ended up doing in PT.

I'm curious, what have you been doing for bodyweight exercises? Bodyweight is good. Just for fun, have you seen this? I had seen videos by some of these people on Tasty, so it was cute to see them training. It made me think more about what my *goals* are. 

Coincidentally- I am starting a modified version of one of the workouts from Strong Curves next week. I've not read the book, just going off of the workout plans. I like the variety of exercises and I like that he focuses on compound movements, we'll see how it goes. I really, really like Strong by Schuler for women starting out, it is a well-rounded program, good pics, easy to follow. It uses more dumbbells than barbells and some good bodyweight moves (like push-ups). You can all kinds of strength training and never touch a barbell. I started back to strength training with StrongLifts 5x5 and all barbell work but I mostly use dumbbells now- I do use barbells for hip thrust and deadlifts but do more work on upperbody with bodyweight (push-ups and pull-ups offer challenge without any weight)

I have been following The Ultimate Pull-Up Program for the last several months and have really enjoyed it, I'm combing it with Strong Curves as I'm looking to add back in more lower body work but I don't think it is what the op is looking for as I've been focusing heavy on upper body for nearly a year. 

I am a huge believer in strength training (in whatever form you like) as we lose muscle as we get older, regular yoga does wonders for body aches too. I try to balance my exercise time with strength training, cardio, and stretching/mobility work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

That does sound fun! I have never heard of anything like that around here, but I’ll look into it. I had a blast with taekwondo, but all the kicking stationary dummies hurt 😢 

thanks for the book recs.

For body weight exercises I’ve been doing the exercise plan out of Body by You by Mark Lauren, adding in occasional exercises from You Are Your Own Gym by the same author. Body by You is aimed at women and starts at a lower assumed level of strength - several levels of inclined push ups moving to full push ups, for example, and a progression of “pulling” arm exercises to lead to pull ups.  I like it but I want some variety. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kathyintx said:

IOW, for me, the variety and availability of the exercises helps keep me exercising

This! I know myself, and it may be shallow, but novelty value keeps me interested. In the past I’ve stuck with several different types of exercise for awhile but eventually just stopped, even if I was seeing results, partly from boredom (ok, also sometimes from injury!) When I started this time I wanted to focus on slow and steady and really making it part of my lifestyle, for the long haul.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kathyintx said:

Also, at the PF where we now live, they actually take action on any complaints we make on the email surveys we fill out.  The main complaint dd and I usually have is the music is too loud.  And I once asked the front desk people to turn down the music when I was there and they did it.  It really depends on who's working the front desk.  Some of the kids love loud music and some don't care.  But I wear ear buds and listen to sermons while I exercise, too. 

I actually went to Planet Fitness today and worked out. The music was louder today, and I couldn’t find my good earbuds and had to use a cheapie pair. I was quite irritated that I couldn’t hear my audiobook well, but I found my good earbuds when I got home, so maybe next time will be better, other than that I enjoyed my visit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, emba56 said:

This! I know myself, and it may be shallow, but novelty value keeps me interested. In the past I’ve stuck with several different types of exercise for awhile but eventually just stopped, even if I was seeing results, partly from boredom (ok, also sometimes from injury!) When I started this time I wanted to focus on slow and steady and really making it part of my lifestyle, for the long haul.

Ya, for sure, I'm always mixing things up in some way. Fwiw being familiar with the books you mentioned I'd think you'd have no trouble with the barbell, those progressions build some good muscle. IME push-ups don't exactly transfer to bench press but I'd be shocked if you couldn't bench a 45# bar if you are knocking out push-ups. I prefer benching the bar over dumbbells as you are forced to keep both sides more even and I find it safer and easier to bail. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soror said:

Ya, for sure, I'm always mixing things up in some way. Fwiw being familiar with the books you mentioned I'd think you'd have no trouble with the barbell, those progressions build some good muscle. IME push-ups don't exactly transfer to bench press but I'd be shocked if you couldn't bench a 45# bar if you are knocking out push-ups. I prefer benching the bar over dumbbells as you are forced to keep both sides more even and I find it safer and easier to bail. 

Well, I’m not quite to the knocking out pushups yet, I’m still on inclined pushups. But I’ve made lots of progress since I started.

53 minutes ago, emba56 said:

I’m still on inclined pushups.

Not sure which way you're doing them, but with a medicine ball can be good. So hips or legs on the ball, core and gluts TIGHT, and down you go. See if you can work up to 5 sets of 10. At that point, you can probably just ditch the ball and be good to go. Then vary your pushups, so arms wider, arms in to work triceps, etc. But with the ball can be really nice. When you get tired between sets you can roll yourself onto the ball and stretch.

• Thanks 1

Do you have a snap fitness near you? We found them when our gym closed suddenly. There was a groupon so we joined for 33.00 for three months. I can not speak for all of them, but our membership included a session with a trainer. It was to familiarize you with the gym and them with you. Their classes are free,  but, not right for me.

i started  mostly on machines, but am now doing mostly free weights, and floor stuff. 

I think the best advice is to get a trial at a couple of gyms and see what the atmosphere is and what works for you. We thought we liked our first gym , which was local owned, but Snap is sooo much better!

2nd, do some training to find out what your weak spots are.  Example, hubby is very strong, shoulders, arms etc, but since working with trainer and working small muscles doing chair squats , arm band workouts, dead bugs, planks, etc, he is strengthening his core , glutes, etc. 

• Like 1