Menu

S/O for those that do annual testing, when do you test?

nukeswife

HI all,

We have opted to do the annual standardized test in order to comply with VA law and I'm just wondering when you all that test give it? Do you wait until you're done with all of that grades things for the year, or do you just pick a point in spring to do it?

In the past I have waited until we were done for the year, but this year we had a few hiccups in the beginning and won't finish our year until Mid July, which would be cutting it close to test and then get the results back in time to turn them in to the SI's office.

I think I should test sometime in spring maybe Late April/ Early may. What do you all think?

We test in May in order to get the results in sometime in July. We actually do not have to turn in results until January, but it makes it easier on the school system to get them in by July so they can wrap up the year for the homeschooled students over the summer and keep the records in line with the public schooled students. :)

Hi. I just moved from VA to Florida so I remember the requirements there. We also had a few hiccups after our big move and it sounds like we're in a similar boat.

Something you can do in VA is give the Seton CAT (language arts and math only) to satisfy their requirements and timeline then test again for yourselves in the fall/ late summer using a different test like the CAT 5 or IOWA.

I'm not sure what grades you'll be testing but the standard CAT is really painless and since you live in VA the turn around time is fast. Seton is in Front Royal and we ALWAYS (even in testing season) received the results within 7-10 days. Order through www.setonhome.com.

--Mari

We test in mid-spring. Most tests are normed for different points during the year, so it won't really matter that you haven't finished your material.

In NC, I know that we have the option to use a streamlined form of the Woodcock Johnson III. It's professionally administered and we get our results right then and there. You might want to check and see if it's available in your area.

My kids have pretty bad April allergies and our co-op stops in mid-April, so that works out well for us. I do it then regardless of where we are in our studies. My kids test well, and it's really not a big deal in our house. It fulfills the requirements of the law, and DH likes to see the results.

And yes, Seton is very fast if you go that way, but our school system is very accomodating as long as you let them know ahead of the deadline. If I was concerned about the scores, I wouldn't hestitate to ask for more time and go ahead and test after July. Every area is different though.

We always test at the end of November. Then we have Thanksgiving and do school-lite until after Christmas. We do a lot of advent activities, make cookies, do Christmas read-alouds, and keep up with daily language study, math, and music practice. The kids usually have a Christmas recital and participate in our church Christmas pageant.

I'm sure you realize it, but I'll mention that your child's scores will be based on not only what grade they are in, but also what month they are in their current grade. Hence, their score will be compared against a child in the same grade and same month. It shouldn't matter when you test. There's no "advantage" score wise to wait until the end of the year.

We school some all year so I test at the last possible moment to be sure we've covered the math. I didn't know some tests are normed for different points in the school year.

I know that the Iowa and the Woodcock Johnson III are. I haven't used any of the other tests, but would presume others are as well.

We do the CAT based on our children's grade based upon their age, in March (I like to beat the rush), through Christian Liberty Academy. These are the results I turn into the state.

We do the Iowas based on our children's average work-level in September (I'm a test administrator via Bob Jones). These are for me, and the ones I use to help set goals, etc. for the coming year.

The other BJU tests we do are the writing evaluations (we do 2 evaluations in the fall and 2 in the spring). This is helping me be a bit more objective with how my son is performing, according to his peers.

When one writes professionally, I've found it particularly difficult to gauge where my children should be, versus what I consider a "good" paper :D, and again, we use these to help set goals, standards, etc. for the coming year (or evaluate how we achieved those goals).

We always test at the end of March around the time of the girls birthdays. Since the tests don't take very long, it gives them a nice break. I usually glance over the tests beforehand to see if there is anything that we haven't covered yet for the year, but so far it's never been a problem. One advantage to testing early spring is that the results come back so much faster.