Menu

Thyroid nodule ?

jg_puppy

I have been having pain and numbness in my hand and arm. My primary care doctor sent me to have an MRI of my neck. One of the things discovered on the MRI was a large nodule on my thyroid. The imagining place recommended that I get an ultrasound done of my thyroid. I did that. The nurse from my primary care doctor's office called me back and said that it is a solid mass and to just monitor it every few years (1, 3, and 5). Both of my kids have low thyroid (one has hashimoto). Something about this doesn't quite feel right, but I don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions on what type of doctor that I should see if I want a second opinion. Endocrinologist? Both of my kids have seen pediatric endocrine doctors, but we haven't found a regular one that we like yet. 

Jan 

I had parathyroid issues  (totally different but same area) and they discovered nodules on my thyroid while looking around. I would def go to a endocrinologist. You can get a baseline work up.   I would also ask for a PT evaluation as the hand/numbness sounds like a nerve issue. 

Kinda sounds like 3 issues to explore, to me. I would get a baseline of blood work for the thyroid, and go to an endo for that, bringing in the ultrasound. That way you have an established relationship with the Dr who might end up treating the nodes but can check you more thoroughly for Hashie. 

• Like 1

I developed paresthesia 5 years ago. I was also sent for an MRI where they discovered a large nodule. The ENT did some imaging, ordered a Fine Needle Biopsy, and told me to come back in a year for follow-up. It took me three years to do the follow-up, but I was given the okay at that point. I learned that it is very common for MRI's to see nodules and most of them are not a big deal. But if you have concerns, it is a good idea to get more information.

With kids with thyroid issues and a nodule I'd want to explore thyroid issues for yourself, an endo is the typical dr to see. As far as the nodule, they are not that uncommon as mentioned if they are determined to be worth examining further they will recommend a fine need biopsy. I had some nodules but they were determined to be of no concern, in further ultrasounds they had shrunk.

13 hours ago, jg_puppy said:

The imagining place recommended that I get an ultrasound done of my thyroid. I did that. The nurse from my primary care doctor's office called me back and said that it is a solid mass and to just monitor it every few years (1, 3, and 5).

When I had my thyroid ultrasound done, I found this ppt and chart helpful https://oregon.providence.org/~/media/Files/Providence OR PDF/Events/Pituitary Thyroid and Parathyroid Update 2018/thyroid_report_pbsi_template.pdf  Read the whole thing, but page 37 has the meat, which is the chart on how to interpret the TRAD scores. The things they found were given a score, and that's how they determine risk and how often to rescan. It might make you feel better.

And yes, given your family history, it wouldn't be crazy to want full labs. You can use a doctor, or if you're not sure you can even order the labs yourself using a service like http://www.healthcheckusa.com/thyroid-tests/panels.aspx

Edited by PeterPan

I have had Hashimoto’s and a thyroid nodule for over 10 years. I go to the endo on an annual basis for blood work and an ultrasound. My endo does the ultrasound herself in the office. It is a great way to keep an eye on it in my opinion, and gives me peace of mind. Best wishes to you!

Thanks everyone. I think I will order a panel of thyroid lab tests and see what my numbers are. Then go from there. I don't want to make a big deal out of this if it is nothing (and nodules are using nothing), but I don't want to ignore it either. I know that she normally tests my TSH, but I don't know if she has ever tested any other thyroid numbers. 

I do have an appointment with an orthopedic for the numbness. That was her recommendation after the MRI. Before the MRI she suggested that I see a neurologist and I don't know if I am still supposed to do that or not. 

Jan

We just got finished dealing with a large thyroid nodule in oldest DD (ultrasound, biopsy, lobectomy). She has an endocrinologist and ENT also monitoring nodules on her remaining lobe (as well as her numbers).

What they've repeatedly told us is how common nodules are in women, how likely they are to be benign, and even if they're *something scary* they're usually  slow growing and easy to treat.  Watch and see is how these things go (our next US is in 6 mos).