Menu

Does anyone know any non surgical approaches to dealing with lipoma?

Pen

Note autocorrect might want to change what I wrote.  Correct word is lipoma, a presumably benign tumor of adipose tissue.  (Not lymphoma.)

I’m trying to find what, preferably something I can do myself as “home remedy” could help reduce a presumed lipoma.  

TMI:

it was already big when I realized it was there - Now is getting large and irritating/painful especially from bra or shirts that are fitted (needs baggy shirt to feel okay)         Too big for small office procedure, would need full general anesthesia etc, I’m told.   And I’m fearful about that due to other health issues and being a single mom.  No one really available to help.  

A dermatologist thinks it is a lipoma.  And so do I.  

30 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Nope. 

They tend to be genetic.

I’d question the general anesthesia thing, though....or talk about what meds would be used. I understand the hesitation, but propofol is very easily reversed and would totally be my pick, fwiw.

Any chance anxiety is a part of this hesitation? 

I’m sure anxiety is a part!

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Nope. 

They tend to be genetic.

I’d question the general anesthesia thing, though....or talk about what meds would be used. I understand the hesitation, but propofol is very easily reversed and would totally be my pick, fwiw.

Any chance anxiety is a part of this hesitation? 

I just looked up Propofol - it looks good, but whether it’s safe or not for my medical situation is unclear.

I had a successful anesthesia in the 1990s for impacted wisdom teeth with fentanyl - but now with addicts using it I feel anxious to even ask about it.  

Meanwhile son still hasn’t got his drive alone license and it would be good to wait for a non emergency surgery till he does.

In the meantime I’ll try things I see that seem safe not too pricey and could help.  There seems to be a fair bit related to things that arguably helped dogs with lipoma.  Lipase, serrapeptase ...   maybe ... 

Is this big enough that they are going to be putting in drains like after a lumpectomy? Because otherwise, with propofol and outpatient, I think you could totally drive yourself home after a couple of hours. 

Fentanyl and Nembutal are twilight sedation drugs. They are typically used in combo and can depress respiration. Propofol is an actual anesthesia drug and much safer, especially with people with neuro issues. 

If your lipoma is growing rapidly, this may not be the best time for wait and see.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Is this big enough that they are going to be putting in drains like after a lumpectomy?

I don’t think drains etc needed, but have not had the visit with the surgery doctor yet.  

Because otherwise, with propofol and outpatient, I think you could totally drive yourself home after a couple of hours. 

I’ll ask about that!  That would be great!

Fentanyl and Nembutal are twilight sedation drugs. They are typically used in combo and can depress respiration. Propofol is an actual anesthesia drug and much safer, especially with people with neuro issues. 

If your lipoma is growing rapidly, this may not be the best time for wait and see.

That’s true.  

What counts as growing rapidly? 

I had both a lumpectomy and a large lipoma removed from under my arm (separate times about 10 years apart).  Neither had a drain and I was able to drive myself home after both, with anesthesia both times.  That wasn't the original intention but for one my driver wasn't as good with a clutch as she thought she would be and the jerkiness was way too painful given the seatbelt location, the other I just decided to drive when it was time to go home.  Both times I had someone else in the car though, in case there was any dizziness or other problems.  

who told you it couldn't be done in an office?   was it a regular dr, or a dermatologist?  is it because they dont' have the facilities? or it truly has to be done under a general?  - I'd get a second opinion.

dr. pimple popper has done some pretty big lipomas in her office, with a local.

Edited by gardenmom5

Pen, here’s an article from Australia that discusses different ways to treat lipomas.

https://www.clinicaldermatology.eu/materiale_cic/876_3_4/7449_review/article.htm

My husband has one around the crook of his elbow which he’s had for many years. It’s not causing him any problems so we’re going to try near infrared light, 850 nm, applied close to the lipoma, maybe two 10” sessions per day for two weeks, and see if it has an effect. If it doesn’t work, then he’ll have it removed surgically.

Edited by BeachGal
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

who told you it couldn't be done in an office?   was it a regular dr, or a dermatologist?  is it because they dont' have the facilities? or it truly has to be done under a general?  - I'd get a second opinion.

dr. pimple popper has done some pretty big lipomas in her office, with a local.

The office dermatologist (MD), said that. 

Have not yet gotten to see the surgical dermatologist or any other surgeon.

I used to have a plastic surgeon for melanoma- but he retired, alas.  He was great, and I would have lots more confidence if he were still available. 

When last seen, about 2 months ago, the lipoma thing wasn’t bothering me (though roughly a smooshed baseball size already)  and idea was to leave it alone.  But it has now expanded to where clothing and my own arm movements are creating pain/discomfort 

16 minutes ago, Pen said:

The office dermatologist (MD), said that. 

Have not yet gotten to see the surgical dermatologist or any other surgeon.

I used to have a plastic surgeon for melanoma- but he retired, alas.  He was great, and I would have lots more confidence if he were still available. 

When last seen, about 2 months ago, the lipoma thing wasn’t bothering me (though roughly a smooshed baseball size already)  and idea was to leave it alone.  But it has now expanded to where clothing and my own arm movements are creating pain/discomfort 

just with how fast it has grown would have me seeing someone else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, annandatje said:

My husband's lipoma was on his back.  It had grown to about the size and dimensions of a McDonald's regular size hamburger.  Was removed in dermatologist's office.

Was he fine for driving immediately afterwards?