Menu

Instant Pot Recommendations?

swimmermom3

I haven't been on the board in forever, but life still throws me questions that only you all can answer:

1. Instant Pot recommendation for my 27yo daughter. She doesn't need family-size necessarily, but one that would let her prep a few servings. I know nothing about the thing, but remember the board was quite into them a while back, which brings up

2. Is the search function on here still weird? Instant Pot brought up nothing when I searched for it.

Thanks so much. I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving and was able to pass the bean dip when needed.

• Like 1

I have this one, which is currently on sale for $49. There are also larger models, ones with wifi connections, etc., but the  basic model is the most popular and has more than enough features for most people.

Also it's great to "see" you here! How's Sailor Dude doing?

Edited by Corraleno
correct sale price
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I have this one, which is currently on sale for $50. There are also larger models, ones with wifi connections, etc., but the $50 basic model is the most popular and has more than enough features for most people.

Also it's great to "see" you here! How's Sailor Dude doing?

I have the same one, and recommend it. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Trilliumlady said:

Bump.  And either talk me into getting one or talk me out of getting one!!  Would the 6 qt be enough for 2 adults 3 kids?

I have found IP extremely useful.  Whether 6 qt would be enough depends on how you want to use it.  And how much you all eat.  

2 6 qt ones might be more versatile if you need more food at once.  (Like a soup or chili in one, rice in the other for example.)  If you start with a 6qt, but find you wish you had more room.

I have gotten extra 6 qt inner pots  and a set of smaller for pot in pot cooking.  A 6qt inner pot fits (just barely) in my fridge, 8 qt would not.  It is easier to put away a whole pot and reheat leftovers than to switch food into other containers IMO.  Less transfer spills, and less to clean.  

Otoh something like a whole large chicken might fit 8qt better.  

• Like 2

I had one, gave it away, changed my mind and bought another! I have the 6 qt. It is fine for whatever I want to make. Don't bother with all the bells and whistles (imo); I mostly used the regular timer feature, not the "soup" or "chili" or whatever buttons. 

Also, I loved the Instantloss cookbook by Brittany Williams. Easy recipes--gluten free, common-allergan free for the most part. She's cute as a bug and her new book is coming out Dec 3. If I could have my pot here in Israel it would make life easier and I would buy the second cookbook!

22 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I think I saw that one of them now has an air fry function.  I don't know if it's the instapot or another brand.  I really hope I didn't make that one up.  I already have a pressure cooker and a slow cooker, but the air fry feature may push me over the edge. 🤣

I saw it at Macy’s 

https://instantpot.com/portfolio-item/duo-crisp-8-quart/

I have a 3 quart Duo Mini which is great for 4 of us. I might get the 6 quart Duo Plus for when I have relatives staying over. The Duo Plus has the cake function which is why I am going for that versus the Duo.

I have the same model Corraleno linked above. I have added only a few things: a basket and rings of different colors that seal the lid. (People do this to avoid making yogurt that smells like chicken, for ex.)

I would still get that 6 QT size for a household of 1 to make soup, hard boiled eggs, potatoes, beans, etc. Bulk cooking. 

I use the basket insert I bought for a dozen or more hard boiled eggs and for potatoes and sweet potatoes. I love mine and have no shame in being in this cult, lol. 

Edited by Angie in VA
Clarity. At least, I live in hope.
  • Like 1