Menu

Bleaching black hair

Storygirl

DS15 has spiky black hair, and he would like to bleach the tips. Has anyone done this? I do color my own hair, but I would need to take him to a salon for this. I'm not keen on the idea, because of the expense, the fact that it can't be good for his hair, and the fact that it would not last long, because his hair grows super fast. I'm skeptical that he can get it to look the way he wants, because his hair is so dark. But I promised I would find out what would be involved. If anyone has advice, please share. I know costs can vary by region, but I'm still interested in what others may have paid. I don't have a regular hair dresser myself (I just go to walk in places, because my hair is easy, and I'm frugal), so I'd be starting from scratch on finding someone to go to.

He can cut it off it if damages his hair, with only wanting to do the tips.  That is a lot better than wanting to bleach all his hair.  

My niece got an ombré last year or two years ago, that sounded like a really bad idea, but it ended up being really cute.  

Ime a lot of hair dressers will mention other options if they think something is going to be a disappointment.  

• Like 2

DD has black hair and I've bleached & dyed it for her multiple times. I stay away from the roots, and either just do streaks or the last few inches (she has long hair). Usually she goes for pink/red/burgundy colors so I only have to strip it back to a light orange rather than almost white, but I have also occasionally taken it down to pale yellow (I will only do the ends if we go that light, because it does fry the hair). Bleaching to a light orangey color is not that damaging if you use a good after-color conditioner, and if you only do the tips you can cut it all off in a few months before it looks too damaged and the color is too faded (if you're also dying it).

Personally I would not pay a salon to just bleach the tips on a teen boy's hair. To DIY it, if you have a Sally's near you, you can just ask the salesperson what they recommend. If not, you can usually get basic bleaching kits (brands like Splat or Manic Panic) from Walmart or Target. A really easy way to do the tips on short spiky hair is to blow dry the hair so it sticks straight up all over (use hairspray at the roots if you need to). Then mix up the bleach, put gloves on your hands, scoop some bleach paste in your hands and pat them together, then lightly pat/rub the bleach on the ends of the hair. Let it sit the suggested amount of time, and wash out. If you're adding another color, after the bleach is washed out, blow dry again and repeat the process with the color. 

Here's a photo of streaks I did in DD's hair a couple of years ago — the effect is called "oil slick" and it looks great (almost iridescent in sunlight) on black hair. It's basically streaks bleached and then dyed various shades of green, blue, purple, and pink. The dyes I used are Pravana ChromaSilk Vivids.

IMG_1079.thumb.jpeg.c59c6eb5f860ecf33e7dc50a5937c296.jpeg

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 8