Menu

Where do you sign up for airfare deal alerts?

Liz CA

I use, I trust more than other web sites, and I suggest using Google Flights. That's the one I use when we are ready to book. I like Google Flights, among other reasons, because when I am ready to book, they direct me to the web site of the airline and not to the web site of some OTA (Online Travel Agency).

There are different ways to use it, one is to set up an "Agent" to check a specific route on specific dates and to notify you when the fare changes, which will probably be 2 or 3 times a week, depending on the route.

You can also check for nearby dates. Many ways to use Google Flights and other sites such as Kayak.

I do have the Hopper App installed on my Android phone and that gives you a very quick way to see days when the fares are highest (color Red) and when the fares are lowest (color Green) and you can then go to Google Flights or somewhere else and look for detailed information, and not just generalizations.

Note: If you are not aware of the recent demise of the Thomas Cook company, be aware that there are other companies known to be on the edge. I think Norwegian Air is one of the company's whose survival is questionable?  Depending on the route you are interested in, try to select carriers that are in good financial  shape.  WOW AIr, if it resumes service, and it may, because the woman who bought it is no dummy, will also be very questionable, if it resumes service. 

Note: Depending upon the route and the  time of year and the competition, there can be enormous differences in the fare, from one day or week to the next.  This morning, I checked, on the SPIRIT web site, one way fares from here (Cali, Colombia) to Raleigh-Durham). I checked from now until the first week in January. Their basic one way fare on that route, depending on the dates, for the Passenger and the "Personal Item", ranged from $167 USD to $910 USD.    The competition obviously does the same with their fares, but charges far more.  So, the bottom line here is that if you can be very flexible with the dates of your travel,  you might be able to save a great deal of money.

It is when your dates are in concrete, such as when we made the reservation for DD to go to RDU early in April, 4 months before the trip, which is at least one month before I would normally make a reservation, that you must simply book it, pay for it, and then possibly watch the fare increase or decrease over time, but you have it in concrete.  Those who don't do that normally watch the fare increase and then close to departure, all of the flights, for one week, are full and there are no good options for those who didn't plan in advance.

• Like 3

Where are you wanting to go?  Do you have a place picked out already?  Or are you just looking to go anywhere? 

Honestly the best way to find a airfare deal is do it yourself and just look on google flights.  I always find the deals on Google Flights myself before any airfare sight gets them.   

Have you considered travel hacking and just getting free flights instead of paying? 

Scotts Cheap Flights

Airfare Watch Dog

Points blogs have lots of deals posted   thepointsguy.com is a great one to start 

Secret Flying -----   This is the best one

• Like 2

I think Google Flights has a feature like this. I know that Kayak has it. On Kayak it is called "Explore" or something like that.   You enter your home airport and the date (or month) and a maximum budget and it shows you where you can go with that budget at that time. That's for people who do not have a specific destination in mind.

I remember, as mid-August approached, watching on the SPIRIT web site, for the flights from here to Raleigh-Durham.  That was a "peak" season and in the end, there were one or two weeks when they didn't have seats available, at any price. The aircraft have a limited number of seats and when they are gone, they are gone...  Anyone who needed to go at the last minute had to take a longer route, with one additional connection city, and pay an arm and a leg.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 8:03 AM, mommyoffive said:

Where are you wanting to go?  Do you have a place picked out already?  Or are you just looking to go anywhere? 

Honestly the best way to find a airfare deal is do it yourself and just look on google flights.  I always find the deals on Google Flights myself before any airfare sight gets them.   

Have you considered travel hacking and just getting free flights instead of paying? 

Scotts Cheap Flights

Airfare Watch Dog

Points blogs have lots of deals posted   thepointsguy.com is a great one to start 

Secret Flying -----   This is the best one

I am going to either Heathrow, Frankfurt or Munich. From these location I can catch other transportation to my final destination and I have a set date that can vary by a day or two but not much more.

10 hours ago, Liz CA said:

I am going to either Heathrow, Frankfurt or Munich. From these location I can catch other transportation to my final destination and I have a set date that can vary by a day or two but not much more.

Where are you flying from?  What dates? 

There are ton of great deals right now, but I don't know when you are going.  Those are really easy airports to get deals to. 

TO:

Amsterdam (AMS)

Athens (ATH)

Barcelona (BCN)

Basel (BSL)

Berlin (TXL)

Bologna (BLQ)

Brussels (BRU)

Bucharest (OTP)

Budapest (BUD)

Casablanca (CMN)

Chișinău (KIV)

Cologne (CGN)

Dublin (DUB)

Düsseldorf (DUS)

Edinburgh (EDI)

Florence (FLR)

Frankfurt (FRA)

Gdansk (GDN)

Geneva (GVA)

Genoa (GOA)

Gothenburg (GOT)

Hamburg (HAM)

Helsinki (HEL)

Istanbul (IST)

Krakow (KRK)

Kyiv (KBP)

Larnaca (LCA)

Lisbon (LIS)

Ljubljana (LJU)

Luxembourg (LUX)

Malta (MLA)

Manchester (MAN)

Marrakesh (RAK)

Marseille (MRS)

Milan (LIN)

Milan (MXP)

Moscow (SVO)

Munich (MUC)

Naples (NAP)

Nice (NCE)

Palermo (PMO)

Paris (CDG)

Pisa (PSA)

Porto (OPO)

Prague (PRG)

Riga (RIX)

Rome (FCO)

Santorini (JTR)

Sofia (SOF)

St. Petersburg (LED)

Stockholm (ARN)

Stuttgart (STR)

Tallinn (TLL)

Thessaloniki (SKG)

Trieste (TRS)

Turin (TRN)

Valencia (VLC)

Venice (VCE)

Vienna (VIE)

Warsaw (WAW)

Wroclaw (WRO)

Zagreb (ZAG)

Zurich (ZRH)

Albany (ALB) - $486

Albuquerque (ABQ) - $515

Allentown (ABE) - $486

Appleton (ATW) - $506

Asheville (AVL) - $486

Aspen (ASE) - $502

Atlanta (ATL) - $468

Austin (AUS) - $504

Billings (BIL) - $483

Birmingham (BHM) - $486

Boise (BOI) - $497

Bozeman (BZN) - $497

Burlington (BTV) - $486

Cedar Rapids (CID) - $486

Charlotte (CLT) - $468

Charlottesville (CHO) - $486

Chattanooga (CHA) - $486

Cincinnati (CVG) - $468

Cleveland (CLE) - $486

Cody (COD) - $507

Columbia (CAE) - $486

Columbus (CMH) - $486

Corpus Christi (CRP) - $499

Dallas (DFW) - $504

Dayton (DAY) - $486

Des Moines (DSM) - $486

Destin (VPS) - $504

Detroit (DTW) - $468

Duluth (DLH) - $486

Durango (DRO) - $480

El Paso (ELP) - $486

Eugene (EUG) - $488

Everett (PAE) - $496

Fargo (FAR) - $486

Fayetteville (XNA) - $486

Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - $468

Fort Myers (RSW) - $486

Fort Wayne (FWA) - $486

Grand Junction (GJT) - $502

Grand Rapids (GRR) - $486

Great Falls (GTF) - $507

Greensboro (GSO) - $486

Greenville (GSP) - $486

Harrisburg (MDT) - $486

Hartford (BDL) - $462

Huntsville (HSV) - $486

Indianapolis (IND) - $486

Jackson (JAN) - $486

Jackson Hole (JAC) - $502

Jacksonville (JAX) - $486

Kalispell (FCA) - $502

Kansas City (MCI) - $486

Knoxville (TYS) - $486

Las Vegas (LAS) - $486

Lexington (LEX) - $486

Lincoln (LNK) - $486

Little Rock (LIT) - $486

Louisville (SDF) - $486

Madison (MSN) - $486

McAllen (MFE) - $499

Medford (MFR) - $481

Memphis (MEM) - $486

Miami (MIA) - $468

Milwaukee (MKE) - $486

Minneapolis (MSP) - $468

Minot (MOT) - $486

Missoula (MSO) - $502

Mobile (MOB) - $486

Moline (MLI) - $506

Nashville (BNA) - $486

Norfolk (ORF) - $486

Oakland (OAK) - $485

Oklahoma City (OKC) - $486

Omaha (OMA) - $486

Orlando (MCO) - $468

Panama City (ECP) - $486

Pasco (PSC) - $501

Pensacola (PNS) - $486

Peoria (PIA) - $486

Philadelphia (PHL) - $462

Phoenix (PHX) - $486

Pittsburgh (PIT) - $465

Portland (PDX) - $486

Portland (PWM) - $486

Providence (PVD) - $486

Raleigh (RDU) - $468

Rapid City (RAP) - $486

Redmond (RDM) - $497

Reno (RNO) - $497

Richmond (RIC) - $486

Roanoke (ROA) - $486

Rochester (ROC) - $486

Sacramento (SMF) - $476

Salt Lake City (SLC) - $504

San Antonio (SAT) - $486

San Diego (SAN) - $486

San Francisco (SFO) - $506

Sarasota (SRQ) - $486

Savannah (SAV) - $486

Seattle (SEA) - $486

Shreveport (SHV) - $486

Sioux Falls (FSD) - $486

South Bend (SBN) - $486

Spokane (GEG) - $476

St. Louis (STL) - $486

Syracuse (SYR) - $486

Tampa (TPA) - $468

Tucson (TUS) - $507

Tulsa (TUL) - $486

Westchester (HPN) - $567

Wichita (ICT) - $486

Wilmington (ILM) - $486

WHEN: Varies by route. Generally November 2019 through May 2020 and August through September 2020, some routes include Thanksgiving but all exclude Xmas/NYE

NORMAL PRICE: $850+ roundtrip

AIRLINE(S):
Air Canada (Star Alliance)
Brussels Airlines (Star Alliance)
Lufthansa (Star Alliance)
Swiss (Star Alliance)
United (Star Alliance)

ADD-ON FEES:

The cheapest available fares are basic economy, which means early seat selection and a checked bag are not included. For most routes, it costs $60 each way to upgrade to regular economy, which includes a checked bag and early seat selection. A checked bag costs $60 each way à la carte

BUY BY: We think these fares will last 1-2 days

From Scott's Cheap flights

https://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/50084900/sas-scandinavian-airlines-europe-on-sale-from-278-roundtrip/?source=54&nltv=144959_b&nl_cs=51647131%3A%3A%3A%3A%3A%3A144959_b&mcid=21443&mi_u=CSIAL6L2ZB

Or sign up for a credit card, make one purchase and get enough points for a free ticket to Europe.

https://dannydealguru.com/2019/09/07/barclays-aviator-red-60k-bonus/

On 10/18/2019 at 6:56 AM, mommyoffive said:

Does the Scott's cheap flight deal work for you?  I know it had SMF on there.   Those are good dates as high summer travel season usually hasn't kicked in yet.    

I have gotten a few deals by email but none for my flight specifically yet. I did sign up for all the other ones as well. I will need to take a weekend and concentrate my efforts on sleuthing out a decent price with decent flight path so it does not take 25 hours to get there.  🙂