Menu

Looking for totes or bins that are rat proof

mathnerd

I store as little as possible in my garage after a rat invasion a few years ago. I am now finding that the sealed plastic heavy duty rubbermaid bin (i even duct taped the lid on!) that was in the garage with organic fertilizer has been chewed with a huge hole on top and that the rats have been getting into the fertilizer, eating it, spilling it and pooping on it. After spending many hours sanitizing the area and throwing out the fertilizer, I am wondering if there is any rodent proof container for garage storage at all. I am sure that someone has invented a rat proof container (other than glass) that I can store large items in. Please share if you know how to keep rats out of bins in the garage.

5 hours ago, mathnerd said:

I store as little as possible in my garage after a rat invasion a few years ago. I am now finding that the sealed plastic heavy duty rubbermaid bin (i even duct taped the lid on!) that was in the garage with organic fertilizer has been chewed with a huge hole on top and that the rats have been getting into the fertilizer, eating it, spilling it and pooping on it. After spending many hours sanitizing the area and throwing out the fertilizer, I am wondering if there is any rodent proof container for garage storage at all. I am sure that someone has invented a rat proof container (other than glass) that I can store large items in. Please share if you know how to keep rats out of bins in the garage.

My first couple of weeks at my current job I discovered Rubbermaid was not rat proof :(

They gave me a metal file cabinet and that is what I use to keep my stuff in now (especially food) In 10+ years no rodents have gotten in.

• Like 1

Than you, all. The metal garbage can is looking like a good option  and my local Lowe's carries it. I also found while googling that there are small sized metal garbage cans that can be used for storing birdseed etc. I have an old stainless steel indoor trash can that I got long ago from costco. Its step-on lever is broken, but I think that I can repurpose it for storing some things in the garage away from rat teeth. We already got the house inspected for rat access points during the precious rat episode and it makes me wonder if there are any new openings through which they are getting in.

9 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Than you, all. The metal garbage can is looking like a good option  and my local Lowe's carries it. I also found while googling that there are small sized metal garbage cans that can be used for storing birdseed etc. I have an old stainless steel indoor trash can that I got long ago from costco. Its step-on lever is broken, but I think that I can repurpose it for storing some things in the garage away from rat teeth. We already got the house inspected for rat access points during the precious rat episode and it makes me wonder if there are any new openings through which they are getting in.

you can also get some bungee cords to hold the lids on

Just make sure you get rid of anything that might have absorbed the urine and clean & disinfect like crazy. I've heard they follow their own scent/marking back to where they've found food before.

• 2 months later...