Menu

This is a game-changer

PrincessMommy

My BIL is an electrician and was here today installing lights in our kitchen reno.  For one set of lights he is using a remote light switch.  He uses this all the time in older houses down in DC where pulling lines through the old plaster walls are very difficult.

He told me I can use them for any existing light switch!!  And I can do it myself. Whoot!!!   That means I can MOVE a switch to a more convenient spot... or I can have multiple spots for light switches.    It's attaches to the wall and looks just like a regular switch.  In fact, one of them is next to a regular switch so it looks like a double switch.    I can even just have light switches in my bedroom for other parts of the house - for nights when people forget to turn off all the lights.  I would just use them like a regular remote control (not have it attached to the wall).  They can also be used with smart phone technology.  I may do that for outside lights.  

Life.changing.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, sgo95 said:

That's what we have.  It just sticks to the wall and you put a regular wall plate over it so it looks like any other light switch.   My BIL said I could add a app that would make it remote with my phone.  

5 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Do you have to have a device like Alexa or Siri to use it or just Wifi?

I don't think so.  My BIL didn't do anything with my Alexa device to get it running.  You have to have electrical switch box (existing switches have this).   You can't start it from nothing.  It will be additional switch.   The one he installed for us was an old switch for a light that is gone and the wall is gone.  Instead of re-routing the wires up through old existing walls, he kept the switch box in our crawl space and we use a remote.  All I did was decide which wall I wanted the switch on.   He said I can add Alexa myself if I want but I think I need an app for that.  

The beauty of it is you can have multiple remote switches for the same switch.   So if I find I need one on another wall, I can put one there without having to hire an electrician and re-wiring my house.   

Edited by PrincessMommy

Not just game changing, life changing!!! My husband is out of town a lot and our laundry, play room and homeschool books are in the basement....which is mostly underground. The switch to turn on the lights in the underground section where the playroom and books are located requires going through 2 dark areas to reach. I don't like walking through multiple dark rooms underground to reach the light switch. So when he is out of town, I leave the florescent lights on. That's the only way I'll go back there. So yesterday, he removes the switch and installs a motion sensor to turn on the lights. Ummm. No way!!!!!!! That still means I have to walk through 2 dark areas before my motion causes the lights to come on!!!!! ......and then they go off and leave me sitting on the couch in the dark when I'm reading.... My suggested solution was to run an electrical wire up the basement stairs and add a switch there. I'd turn the lights off every time I left the basement with a switch at the top of the stairs!!!! So.....a remote light switch control? That would solve everything!!!! 

• Like 3

I wonder if it would work for anything on a switch - not just lights? The kids remember to turn the bathroom vent fan on when taking a shower but often forget to turn it off at night. It would be great if we could turn it off from upstairs if we heard it running and they are already in bed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I wonder if it would work for anything on a switch - not just lights? The kids remember to turn the bathroom vent fan on when taking a shower but often forget to turn it off at night. It would be great if we could turn it off from upstairs if we heard it running and they are already in bed.

I bet it would.  That's a great idea.