Menu

Zucchini Brownie PSA

Miss Tick

If you make Zucchini Brownies to use up 2 cups of your 256 cups worth of zucchini, and then forget to add the zucchini - despite it being right there! Pre-shredded in a bowl on the counter! the brownies turn out dry and mealy and not particularly enticing. Hopefully you can profit from my mistake.

I'm making more brownies, because i still have all 256 cups of zucchini to use up. Sigh.

• Haha 14

Yes! To all! Plus last night I made this nice "Sauceless Lasagna" which was yummy, although it needed more cooking time than the recipe said.

In addition to adding it to everything (zuccinaroni pizza last Friday) I've left it inside the screen doors of all the neighbors, and in any unlocked cars i find, empty bus seats, every grocery cart in the cart line, and I'm considering pre-slicing it to slide some through mail slots.

The logical response would be to harvest early and often, why do I seem incapable of this???

Edited by SusanC
Too much zucchini!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Crumble the dry brownies over ice cream and pour chocolate sauce over them! 

Well, in my embarrassment i just ate them. But next year (this seems like the kind of mistake i make once a year, or so) I'm totally going to be prepared for this option!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

Yes! To all! Plus last night I made this nice "Sauceless Lasagna" which was yummy, although it needed more cooking time than the recipe said.

In addition to adding it to everything (zuccinaroni pizza last Friday) I've left it inside the screen doors of all the neighbors, and in any unlocked cars i find, empty bus seats, every grocery cart in the cart line, and I'm considering pre-slicing it to slide some through mail slots.

The logical response would be to harvest early and often, why do I seem incapable of this???

This is the funniest thing I've read this week!

• Like 1

Okay, so I don't garden, but I have lots of friends that do.  Why does EVERYONE plant zucchini?  It seems like everyone is giving it away continuously.  I don't plant a garden, and I still wind up with way more zucchini than I ever want, just from gifts from strangers.  I don't even LIKE zucchini!

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

have you tried frying them in batter? They are delicious. And I freeze breaded zucchini and it lasts through the winter for me.

This is one of my "to-do" recipes, but nobody has mentioned freezing. Do you bread zucchini slices, cook them, and then freeze, or bread, freeze, and then cook when you are ready?

22 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Why does EVERYONE plant zucchini?

Well, I'm on an every-other-year thing with zucchini. In fact, last year I planted the entire garden in dry navy beans (travel and garden fatigue). Between that and the premature death of my zucchini plant last cycle, I got lulled into a sense of complacency. I do remember that the first time I had this emergency i learned to sauté the flowers for quesadillas, but this year I can't seem to get that far ahead. I keep thinking the butternut squash will shade the zucchini out of existence, but so far the match is undecided.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SusanC said:

This is one of my "to-do" recipes, but nobody has mentioned freezing. Do you bread zucchini slices, cook them, and then freeze, or bread, freeze, and then cook when you are ready?

I bread the zucchini and freeze (uncooked) in a single layer on a cookie sheet and store inside ziplock bags in the freezer. I take out as many as I need and cook them all year long. In fact, I found one bag in the bottom of the freezer from 2017 and it was still good when I fried them a few months ago 🙂

Also, did you ever try making Zoodles?

Edited by mathnerd
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Okay, so I don't garden, but I have lots of friends that do.  Why does EVERYONE plant zucchini?  It seems like everyone is giving it away continuously.  I don't plant a garden, and I still wind up with way more zucchini than I ever want, just from gifts from strangers.  I don't even LIKE zucchini!

We all rather optimistically anticipate we'll eat more than we will. We also forget how much that darn thing produces.

• Haha 2

I talked to a pastor once who was raised with the philosophy of never wasting food, and then his rural parishioners discovered that he didn't lock his car.  They filled it every week with various forms of produce, which he then would go home and spend hours the rest of the week canning.  The poor man wound up renting a storage locker to store the canned produce gifted him by his parishioners.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

I didn’t plant it this year. We did chop and roast batches upon batches at the food rescue place this season, so zucchini, whether I plant it or not, will follow me all the way to hell. 

• Haha 2