Menu

Who's going to tackle Wednesday with me?

Jean in Newcastle

Good morning! Another hot day here- checked the garden and weeded a little. The garden stays pretty weed-free if you don't leave for a vacation. That's my silver lining here...

ds3 has an early lesson and dd2 is headed to the water park with friends.

• coffee/paper
  • ds3 to lesson/tennis
  • see dd2 off and make sure she will baby that hip today
  • general clean up
  • work on syllabi, etc
  • read
  • handwork
  • pick up ds3
  • more work this afternoon
  • maybe grocery store?
  • whatever else comes up

Have a great day!

• Like 8

• Cable boxes returned (they are in a box and ready!)  
  • Kohl's for Amazon returns
  • Post office to mail back LL Bean backpack (all ready to go!)  
  • 5 boxes put away
  • Search for an electronic connector item I need but can't find it, will look more later
  • Search for an extension cord I need  
  • List Tivo on eBay   
  • Get more items ready to go to my friend who is new to the country and needs household items  
  • Thrift store for a couple of items I need (older towels for a project) but another thrift store I wanted to go to isn't open today, so, tomorrow ETA:  Found the items at even cheaper than I thought I could find them on FB Marketplace!  
  • Encourage son to get to his new college and pick up his school specific Chem books today! encouraged, didn't do yet
Edited by DawnM
  • Like 8

Jean, I so agree.  Our DS21 may, or may not, be coming home either Friday or Saturday, for the remainder of what's left of the summer (or possibly for the semester, as he may, or may not, be changing majors and sitting out a semester/year of college.....). Or, he may have to work one more week at his summer camp job. We don't know, and he won't likely think to get in touch with us until Friday night/Saturday morning, when he either is, or isn't, coming home. I do not love this phase. 

Today I need to:
...keep working on DS18's quilt
...decide on dinner for DH & I (boys have youth group)
...DS18 has an appt this afternoon
...put away the clean laundry (even the clean sheets)
...work on emails/syllabus I need to create for school stuff I need to mail out by end of the week
...mail one more thank-you card for DS 
...call & reschedule DS14's dentist appt for next week

At some point this week I need to do some major tidying up as we may/probably be having MIL & SIL over Sunday evening for a get-together before DS18 goes to college. Also need to discuss with DH what the plan is for food for this event.....

• Like 8

@heartlikealion  We have these headphones and they work fine. Very comfortable. We use them mostly for listening to podcasts and audiobooks from a phone.

Today I can be home most of the day! A couple quick trips out, but not all day. 

Pick up milk
Reschedule ds' orthodontist appt.
deskwork - email, bills etc.  
Text to see how mom is doing in CA (late in the day)
Figure out dinner for the next couple days
bake banana bread
AHG stuff
Work on school prep
Dd to pool party. Maybe Ds to our pool on the same trip?

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4

Good morning!

Jean and Reader, I agree! Not crazy about this young adult thing at all. I swear, parenting has been more stressful in the past year than it was in the previous twenty years combined.:unsure:

Today I get to stay home and get things done with no repair people in the house! Our air conditioner is finally fixed. Fingers crossed that it stays fixed this time!

Dh just came home and said he saw a mountain lion run across the road early this morning - and yesterday, there was a 5' black snake on our lawn. I'm a nature lover, but I wish the scary parts like snakes and cats that could eat me would stay far, far away.:huh:

• vacuum basement & mop around litterboxes
  • laundry - wash blankets
  • place an Adagio Teas order
  • adjust my Chewy autoship
  • cut up fruits and veggies
  • office work - go through emails & credit card bills
  • dinner: lentil tortilla stew

• Like 6

I am going to die. I was awake from 3 to 5 because Ds left at about 4:15. (He wasn't noisy. I just woke up in anticipation.). I fell asleep afterwards and my Fitbit says that I still got 6 hours 46 minutes, which is super good for me. But I feel like I was hit by a Mack truck, drug down the highway and hit again. But pets need me to get up so I will. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Happy Wednesday!

• Working in the wee hours ... also monitoring my kids' phones/cameras, which might need to be listed as a full time job some days.  Deleted most of the videos.
  • Switched to Invisalign appliance for week 2.  Only 44 more to go .... 😕
  • Slept 3 or 4 hours.
  • Kids up & showered & fed & packed & ready for day camp.  Driver took them today.
  • Lots of texts to try to arrange driving for tonight.  2 kids at activities about 45 minutes apart, one car, not much flexibility about arriving/leaving.  I think we have a plan.
  • Took out the garbage, including about 30 big and little cardboard boxes.
  • Washed dishes.
  • Ate various leftovers.
  • Installed an AHG app on my phone - hope I won't regret this ....
  • On my second cup of coffee.
  • Sent out a few emails and 1 client report.

To do:

• More client reports & other work.
  • Get gas in my car.  Might as well get cash also.
  • Make Kid 1 practice her trumpet.
  • Kid 1 has trumpet lesson, kid 2 has horse riding; driver will drive them.
  • Try to make the kids do some "work" other than music, math, and LA.  (Those are covered at camp / lessons today.)
  • Read-aloud(s).
  • Whatever else gets done.
Edited by SKL
  • Like 6

human care done

pet care done.  (Chased Juliet away from eating Neko's food.  Chased Neko away from eating Juliet's food.)

morning exercises done

Katy Bowman blog read.

Resisted the urge to make a snarky reply on Nextdoor.  (They can come up with the weirdest conspiracy theories sometimes. . .)

medical care finally done.  I have an infection on one foot right now that means soaking twice a day.  What a pain.  But it is helping. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Kitchen garbage taken out.

Recycling taken out.

Dishwasher cleaned with vinegar and baking soda.

Dishwasher rebooted and running

Ugh.  Juliet chewed up a desiccation packet that was filled with iron powder.  (It was magnetic).  I have called the vet and because she got less than 1/8 of a teaspoon, the vet thinks that she will be ok.  But I am keeping an eye on her because I really really don't want her to be poisoned. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Ugh.  Juliet chewed up a desiccation packet that was filled with iron powder.  (It was magnetic).  I have called the vet and because she got less than 1/8 of a teaspoon, the vet thinks that she will be ok.  But I am keeping an eye on her because I really really don't want her to be poisoned. 

Jean, my dogs once got ahold of a Hot Hands hand warmer packet and chewed it open. Those are filled with iron powder, too. I wasn't even sure which dogs had done it or how much they had ingested because it happened while I was outside. I came in and found powder strewn all over the floor and several dogs looking guilty. Anyway, our vet said that they were probably fine because of their size (all in the 60-100 lb. range), but he had me give them hydrogen peroxide so they would throw up, just as a precaution. That was a fun evening, cleaning up several piles of dog barf, but all's well that ends well. Hope Juliet will be fine!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Jean, my dogs once got ahold of a Hot Hands hand warmer packet and chewed it open. Those are filled with iron powder, too. I wasn't even sure which dogs had done it or how much they had ingested because it happened while I was outside. I came in and found powder strewn all over the floor and several dogs looking guilty. Anyway, our vet said that they were probably fine because of their size (all in the 60-100 lb. range), but he had me give them hydrogen peroxide so they would throw up, just as a precaution. That was a fun evening, cleaning up several piles of dog barf, but all's well that ends well. Hope Juliet will be fine!

Thanks, Selkie.  It's been a half hour with no vomiting so she's probably fine.  That and it really was a tiny amount and Juliet is 58 pounds so not a tiny dog. 

• Like 4

Made and ate lunch.  Tried to nap because I am so tired but it was a no-go.

Now I'm in my afternoon slump and I really need to motivate myself to just keep swimming because even though there are no fires to put out, I won't make any progress on anything if I don't.

So first up:  break down boxes and put them out in recycling. 

• Like 4

Home from DS's appt. Got mostly done with the side of the quilt I was working on, and the cat climbed on top so I had to stop. Then the other cat curled up *under* the quilt (on the table), next to the first cat still on top. I haven't gone up yet  (the quilting was before the appt) to see if they've vacated or not. I am nearly to the end of my 3rd bobbin of bobbin thread, have one more loaded, and that is IT as far as the amount of that particular thread. Of course I was using a red/green variegated thread, so that will be oh so fun to track down a replacement. I am not sure any of the quilt shops local to me carry that brand of thread, or that if they do, they'll have a red/green in stock. :sigh: Need to think up an alternate plan for that (I do have red I can switch to, or possibly another primary color variegated, or.......??? I never imagined I'd use up what I had). 

Taking a break to drink coffee, because I do not quilt while sleepy, not even simple straight lines. 

Filled out the boys' release forms for the silly game thing at church tonight (Bubble Soccer...), although they both say they just want to watch. This way they can participate if they choose. 

Since the boys will be at church, DH and I will likely come home and eat cereal and/or eggs/breakfast/etc., so that will be dinner. 

Still need to put away the waiting laundry -- I have sheets, towels, and jeans all waiting to be folded/hung up and put away. Blech. 

• Like 5

You would think that I wouldn't have any more laundry to do after all the laundry I did yesterday. . .   but since most of that was Ds' in preparation for him moving back to college, I actually do have laundry for today.

First load is in the washing machine

Got the cat's bathroom all cleaned up.   Plus took care of a hairball "accident". Cats are gross.

• Like 5

Put camp activity 2 and 3 materials in the jumbo "ziplock" like bags I bought.  Makes it so much easier to grab during camp.

Put activity 4's finished example in the bag.  Made 2 student packets.  Have to buy more supplies before I can make the rest of the packets.  Put stuff on my camp shopping list.

Put activity 5's supplies on the camp shopping list.

Put 3/4 of a finished example of activity 6 together.  Put one partial student packet together.  Put remaining needed supplies on the camp shopping list.

Put activity 7's supplies on the camp shopping list.

Fizzled out.  Going to take a break. 

• Like 5

Had to take care of various, assorted, random emails and online chores, and then DH looked up seats at the movie theater to try Lion King (we were going to go yesterday, but no seats), found some for the show starting 10 minutes from then (luckily we live very close to the theater) and so off we went. It was still matinee prices as well. So then we used my Chick-fil-a gift card for dinner and just now got home. Which means I never did finish putting away laundry, but such is life. DH & kids will be enlisted to help tomorrow, and I will track down thread and do basically nothing but quilt. I hope. 

• Like 4