Menu

Can I reorganize pages from a PDF file into separate files?

Teaching3bears

If I have a bunch of pages scanned into one PDF file, can I take some of those pages out on my own computer and subdivide them into separate files and maybe add explanatory text at the beginning of each file?

I have a MacBook Air and I only have the Apple software it comes with.  I don't have MicrosoftWord or Powerpoint etc.  

I have no idea if I have a PDF reader.  Do I need that?

You can; however, you'll need to buy Adobe Acrobat in order to do so. The reader version of Adobe is free, but to manipulate the PDF requires Acrobat. I'd probably see if someone you know already owns it or ask at your library if they have a license they allow the public to use. 

Edit:  I've never used smallpdf. That might be a way to do what you want without spending a lot of money. 

Edited by brehon
  • Like 2

I think in Preview you can open the thumbnails on the side of the document and then drag and drop pages as new files onto the Desktop. I do it fairly regularly. But, I also own Adobe PDF and so idk if I can only do that in Preview because I also own Adobe. 

• Like 1

I do most of what you are wanting in Preview.

You can also copy parts of pages and paste into Pages (Pages is the MS Word of the Mac world)-- then save as PDF file (Pages can also save in MS Word format).

Open PDF with Preview-- at this point I like to copy the document and work with the copy

Select the top left icon and choose Thumbnails-- you can rearrange/delete.  If you amended a page and saved it as a PDF file just open it up and choose Thumbnail view-- click and drag the Thumbnail to your main (working) document Thumbnail section and they are merged.

I use the Mac tools-- I'm not an Adobe fan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

SmallPDF.com is a web-based solution that is free. It can merge PDFs, rearrange pages, remove pages, etc. I used it to make new files for SOTW that were only maps & coloring pages, removing the pages that I knew we would not use. 

That's brilliant.