Menu

First World Problem - Stinky Garbage Can - WSID?

SKL

So I literally think something crawled into our [outside] garbage can and died.  There was this horrific stink a couple weeks ago.  I hoped it would go away after the trash pickup, but it still stunk, and there were maggots crawling around on something that could have been furry "remains."  I was on my way out of town for the holiday, but I sprayed about half a can of disinfecting spray in there and hoped for the best.

A week later it still stinks, though not as badly.  I was wondering if I should buy a bag of cat litter and dump it in there.  Or should I use my unused guinea pig litter since our piggy died?  (Don't worry, our piggy was not the stink in the can.)  Or what should I do?  I don't think bleach or any other harsh chemical is a good idea, as it might damage the can and cause a leak.  The garbage can is issued by the city and is made of thick green plastic.

What would you do?

We have to scrub our outside garbage can a few times a year, especially during the summer. The heat/humidity here combined with what seems to be unavoidable garbage can gunk leads to maggots and odors and all around nastiness if we don't. Our method is to fill it about one-third or so full of water, add in a few large glugs of PineSol or similar cleaner, take an old broom and swish it around. Let it stand awhile, then dump it out. flip it upside down and let it air dry. I've cleaned garbage cans all my life and have never had any degradation of the cans. The flipping it upside down is the hardest part for me. The thing is bigger than I am!

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

We have to scrub our outside garbage can a few times a year, especially during the summer. The heat/humidity here combined with what seems to be unavoidable garbage can gunk leads to maggots and odors and all around nastiness if we don't. Our method is to fill it about one-third or so full of water, add in a few large glugs of PineSol or similar cleaner, take an old broom and swish it around. Let it stand awhile, then dump it out. flip it upside down and let it air dry. I've cleaned garbage cans all my life and have never had any degradation of the cans. The flipping it upside down is the hardest part for me. The thing is bigger than I am!

We use lots less water with the can lying down on driveway but propped a bit so water doesn’t flow right out.

clean with a safe for us cleaner (could be vinegar) ...  and Odormute if needed. Then roll it off the prop so it can empty.

sprayer hose end if needed

21 minutes ago, Katy said:

I've filled them halfway up with water and dumped either vinegar or bleach inside and let it sit for an hour.  Always smells much better when I dump it out and let it air dry.

This is what I have done when ours god stinky with maggots.  The bleach didn’t do any damage.