Menu

Birthday Gift ?

Teresa in MO

Growing up there were 4 of us girls that were the same age and lived on the same street.  Lost contact after we all married and had kids.  We are all turning 60 this year.  I have been invited to a surprise birthday party tomorrow for one of them.  Are gifts usually taken to these type of parties?  It would have to be small as I am on a very limited income.  Thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Oh maybe a token bottle of wine, small plant, consumable of some sort.  The photo print idea is nice if she is someone who would appreciate that.   Though that might be hard to pull together in 24 hours.  If your income is really tight I think a card with a nice note would be fine too.  

• Like 1

If you don't have a photo of the four of you, maybe you could look online for a photo of a nearby landmark, that you would all remember from the past? Maybe a school, or a town center? Find a nice poem about old friends, or childhood memories. Make a card or bookmark on your computer, with the photo and the poem. You could print it at the library (ours charges $25 per page for a high quality color copy). Then rubber cement your printer paper onto cardstock. If it's a bookmark, punch a hole at the top and tie with a bit of ribbon. Make one for each of you, not just for the birthday girl, and sign them.

• Like 3

Usually gifts aren't expected in my experience.  There are always those that do bring something, but it's usually small and inexpensive.

In your case, I would want to bring something nostalgic.  A favorite candy or treat.  A fun school supply similar to what you had growing up.  Socks that remind you of your school uniform.  Maybe a hairbow around/in a plant.  A homemade card with a picture of that desired toy when you were little.  Something that would make your friend think fondly of her childhood.

• Like 1

How about a cool birthday card, with a letter inside ....  a "50 years ago today" (or however many years is appropriate) sort of card to spur some memories.  What music was popular, what phrases were common, clothes and hairstyles,  some memories of hobbies or activities you shared.... Maybe include some nostalgic candy you liked if you can still find it on short notice.