Menu

Need recommendations for floor grout cleaner and sealer

Bensmom2

Our floor grout is really not supposed to be the color of dirt😏. I would like to get the grout really clean and then seal it. In the past, this has been a backbreaking job. I crawl around on my hands and knees with the tiny grout brush and scrub each line. Baking soda paste is messy and I never seem to get the right consistency because I have a gritty film left over and bleach based sprays are effective but the area is so large that I have made myself seriously ill with the fumes. What should I be using the clean the grout and what product do I need to seal it so my cleaning job will last longer?

I spray my grout with a mixture of blue dawn dish detergent and white vinegar. White vinegar should be warm. I can’t remember proportions but I found it on goggle. Also, I bought a bottle of grout sealer at Home Depot. Have fun😳

I just did this on our house in VA that we are selling.  I googled and found people recommending Resolve (the carpet cleaner), so that's what I used.  I sprayed it on several lines of grout, waited several minutes, and then used a toothbrush to scrub, but it wasn't as hard as it had been before just using some vinegar concoction.  Then I would use a wet cloth to wipe off the residue.  I was quite happy with the results!

• Like 2

We found that a magic eraser works best (and we tried all of the things including dawn/vinegar).

We also like a product called Grout Renew.

Grout sealers need to be redone yearly in bathrooms and kitchens and every couple of years in other areas. It's naturally a pretty porous thing. We like Stonetech products (which we buy at Home Depot). 

On 6/25/2019 at 2:58 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

We found that a magic eraser works best (and we tried all of the things including dawn/vinegar).

We also like a product called Grout Renew.

Grout sealers need to be redone yearly in bathrooms and kitchens and every couple of years in other areas. It's naturally a pretty porous thing. We like Stonetech products (which we buy at Home Depot). 

PrarieWind,

You have devastated me. I was feeling so hopeful at the helpful responses. Then I read that I still need to reseal EVERY YEAR😖. I was seriously hoping to get at least a couple years out of this grand effort. Sigh 😔 

On 6/25/2019 at 2:43 PM, umsami said:

I bought this stuff plus this electric brush thing on a stick (so it wouldn't hurt my back.)  Worked great. 🙂

My home is 99% tile, though...so next time, I'm planning on hiring a company to professionally clean and seal it.

What is this back-saving electric brush of which you speak?  It sounds heavenly 😁

• Like 1

I used a grout cleaner and brightener... I think Zep brand but not sure.  It worked wonders when paired with these tools:

https://www.amazon.com/Living-Giving-Cleaning-Household-Bathroom/dp/B07FQ538J8/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=grout+cleaner&qid=1561638617&s=gateway&sr=8-18

This last time in preparation for selling our old house, I paid my son to sit on the floor and scrub in our big bathroom.  I did the smaller bathroom.  Most of the gunk just needed the product to sit on it and work it's wonder and light going over with the bristle brush.  Some spots were more stubborn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bensmom2 said:

PrarieWind,

You have devastated me. I was feeling so hopeful at the helpful responses. Then I read that I still need to reseal EVERY YEAR😖. I was seriously hoping to get at least a couple years out of this grand effort. Sigh 😔 

The effort is in the cleaning the grout back to it’s supposed color. That is like 10x the effort of keeping the stuff sealed. 

It is super frustrating—and why so many people have dirt colored grout.