Menu

trying to remember the name of a book - FOUND IT!!

Home'scool

I read it about 20 years ago. A man works for a big corporation in a white collar job, but suddenly one day everyone is pursuing him to try and catch him. They literally lock down the office building and even his wife is there yelling "there he is, get him!" Basically the story is him trying to escape from everyone and trying to figure out why they are after him.

Any ideas?

Edited by Home'scool

It's not The Firm, is it? Part of that sounds right, but part doesn't.....I don't remember the wife being on the other side in The Firm, but I could be wrong.....

There was another Grisham novel that was similar, too.....shoot. Can't think of the name of it....let me think. 

• Like 1

Maybe The Partner, but that one starts out with the guy already on the run in another country....

Or The Street Lawyer, which I think starts out with a scene where they're all locked in an office building....

(is it possible you are combining/remembering more than one book?) (and possibly it's not Grisham at all, I guess I'm the one who added that rabbit trail....ha! sorry)

Edited by TheReader

15 hours ago, Home'scool said:

Nope, definitely not a John Grisham. Damn! It was a good book and I would love to re-read it

hmmm. I'm so intrigued! If you figure it out, let us know. 

Trying to think what else....

...Manchurian Candidate? maybe??  I read that a long time ago, and only kind of vaguely remember it, but that was a guy running from everyone....

Was it new when you read it, or already been out a while, do you know? Maybe looking at a list of "published in 1999" books (or thereabouts), or best sellers from those years, might jog your memory? 

7 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

I know a similar movie but there's no wife. Robert Redford plays a man who reads for the govt. He comes to his office and everyonexs dead. I think it isc3 Days of tbe Condor. Maybe you would like it!

Which is based on this book: https://www.betterworldbooks.com/product/detail/Six-Days-of-the-Condor-9781504028059

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Home'scool said:

Arrggg I didn't see the post from Jenn500! Thank you for helping me find it!

I downloaded it to my Kindle last night and I think I am already halfway through. It's light but good reading!

I think I might have to get a copy for my plane trip later this month. It has tons of great reviews on Amazon but it's always better when it's a Hive recommendation.

• Like 1