Menu

News: Dressbarn is closing all of its stores

Arcadia

From USAToday https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/05/20/dressbarn-closing-all-stores/3747205002/

“The women’s retailer announced Monday “plans to commence a wind-down of its retail operations, including the eventual closure of its approximately 650 stores.”

Stores remain open along with the Dressbarn website, the company said in a statement

"For more than 50 years, Dressbarn has served women's fashion needs, and we thank all of our dedicated associates for their commitment to Dressbarn and our valued customers,” said Steven Taylor, Dressbarn chief financial officer, in a statement. “This decision was difficult, but necessary, as the Dressbarn chain has not been operating at an acceptable level of profitability in today's retail environment.”

All Dressbarn stores are open along with the website, the statement said. There are no current changes to Dressbarn's return, refund, or gift card policies.

“During the wind-down process, we will continue to provide our customers with the same great experience both in-store and online, offering them even better deals and value,” Taylor said. “We will work to assist our associates through the transition and maintain existing relationships with our vendors, suppliers, and other key stakeholders through this process."

According to the statement, plans for closing individual stores and information about store closing sales “will be shared during the wind-down process.”

Dressbarn is part of New Jersey-based Ascena Retail Group, whose other brands include Ann Taylor, Lane Bryant, Catherines, Cacique and Justice. The company recently sold its Maurices brand.

In a separate statement from Ascena, the company said the decision has no impact on the operations of the other brands.

“Dressbarn’s wind down is another significant step taken to advance ascena’s ongoing transformation,” the statement said. “This move is in line with the Company’s commitment to comprehensively assess and optimize its portfolio by focusing resources on its most profitable brands to position the business for long-term growth and enhance shareholder value.””

That's sad. They closed the one in our town some years ago when they closed the first time. We liked the mix of clothing. We both could find things there.

Retail is rough. One of my part-time jobs is with a major department store that somehow keeps going. I see how they struggle, always trying to come up with the right mix of products while paying the majority of the workers who are part-time very little. 

When I visited my grandparents, grandma would always take me to dress barn to get my tom boy self a dress I would wear once or twice to whatever family function we were visiting for and/or to attend mass with them.  I usually wore jeans to mass at home but I would humor my dad’s parents with a dress.  

They were all from dress barn after I was about 10 years old (I was 5’7” and a women’s size small before I was 11).  

I haven’t been to Dress Barn since I was 18 but I always remember the shopping trips with my grandma fondly.  

Edited by LucyStoner