Menu

If you've tried to switch all cleaning products to more natural...

1GirlTwinBoys

Is there one toxic thing you just can't give up?  I'm doing really good in this area EXCEPT for shower cleaning.  I've tried baking soda, vinegar, Thieves from YL, dish soap, Simple Green etc.. and I just can't get anything to clean that shower grime like Scrubbing Bubbles. I wear a mask to spray it and then leave it for 30 mins or so and go back and clean it with my mask on.  I'm sure this isn't helping much but I just can't find a good natural shower cleaner.

I use H2O2 or ethanol if I need to disinfect.  They are toxic to germs, and to animals including humans  if too much were used, I guess.  

Bon Ami  (including for bath type grime: wet down area, apply powder, let sit, then scrub down— pretty much as you say are doing with your product) or Bar Keepers Friend (especially when we have iron build up due to iron in our water) for various sorts of grime beyond the powers of soap, water, vinegar, baking soda.

I use a free and clear laundry detergent and sometimes borax.  If I get a dishwasher I may need to use a dishwasher detergent.  

1 hour ago, 1GirlTwinBoys said:

Is there one toxic thing you just can't give up?  I'm doing really good in this area EXCEPT for shower cleaning.  I've tried baking soda, vinegar, Thieves from YL, dish soap, Simple Green etc.. and I just can't get anything to clean that shower grime like Scrubbing Bubbles. I wear a mask to spray it and then leave it for 30 mins or so and go back and clean it with my mask on.  I'm sure this isn't helping much but I just can't find a good natural shower cleaner.

I think I have read that peroxide is really good for showers, but there are a few caveats (which is why I haven't messed with it much--dish soap works for us)...

• It can bleach things, so you have to be careful with it in the laundry
  • It has to be keep in a light-proof container, so you can't mix a bunch of ahead as easily unless you find the right kind of spray bottle

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

I think I have read that peroxide is really good for showers, but there are a few caveats (which is why I haven't messed with it much--dish soap works for us)...

• It can bleach things, so you have to be careful with it in the laundry
  • It has to be keep in a light-proof container, so you can't mix a bunch of ahead as easily unless you find the right kind of spray bottle

It’s true it can bleach things—but that can be good in a whites load.

you can buy it as a liquid in opaque bottles, (nothing to mix up)— possibly with a screw on removable sprayer top— spraying sounds like it could be useful— but I’ve only ever just wiped it on / off with a cloth or disposable paper towels depending how dirty the thing I’m cleaning.  Or sponge though it can be a bit destructive of sponges.