Menu

Help me name this homeschool group - please :)

ktgrok

8 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I’m thinking InterChristian Homeschool Community. I think that might be the most clear explanation for a total, and avoids the associations that go with the word fellowship. But gives it more of an impression of community and support rather than academic co-op.

Yeah, I don't think that's going to make anything clear.

Your support group description should say it. People will either figure it out or they won't.

It's funny to me that today's homeschoolers assume that a "group" means a co-op instead of a support group. 🙂 How things have changed.

How about Nondenominational or Interdenominational [whichever you actually mean] Christian Homeschooling Community of [Location] 

every word can at least be looked up —. It seems perhaps least confusing 

Edited by Pen

Just remember your group’s name no matter what will offend someone or they will still feel their branch of Christianity will be excluded ( there is always that one person..). So name it what you think will be the best and set up a separate email account just for the group to save your sanity.    Good luck and I hope you have the outcome you want. 

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Random musings from reading the thread . . . watch what your initials spell. So far I’ve “read” 

O Foch

Ich

and C HoMO

You want to control any abbreviations. 

Maybe something like Fellowship Field Trips and do a Jesus fish logo? Using “non-denominational” in your description might be the easiest way to avoid confusion. If you are successful and start doing fun programs, eventually a non-Christian friend will ask to join. Are you really prepared to exclude them? You might want to spell that out in the beginning so no members get miffed when non-christian friends infiltrate your day trips. 

Perhaps you can let your programming attract your crowd? When Dd was young there was a field trip series called “Discover Catholic Maryland.” Non-Catholics weren’t really interested, but it was a fun series for those who opted in.  A couple faith based adventures might to the trick to form a core group.  Maybe a service project based at your church?

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2019 at 1:09 PM, SKL said:

I don't remember if you have tried or joined AHG, but where I live, our AHG group has so many homeschool families that it becomes to some extent the social entity you are looking for.

I was just thinking AHG too -- for daughters anyway. But with sons -- it gets complicated

On 5/9/2019 at 9:20 AM, Junie said:

I like your suggestion: Fellowship of Christian Homeschoolers -- Orlando

You could also use the term Greater Orlando if you think families from the suburbs might want to be involved.

I would assume that something with that name shared values with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and organization I would stay far away from, and I think I am the kind of Christian she is trying to attract.

• 1 year later...