Menu

Help me name this homeschool group - please :)

ktgrok

I'm feeling led to create a new homeschool group for my area. My brain dump about this includes the following thoughts:

-my friends are mostly atheist/agnostic/pagan and I'd like some Christian moms to bounce idea off of, find support with, etc

-my kids have no Christian friends other than the kids they see at church on sundays

-the homeschool groups in my area are either secular or Christian but of a certain flavor (evangelical or Catholic and it is hard to break into the Catholic one)

-there are lots of hybrid schools, co-ops, etc but not much at all for just socializing these days. 

So, basically I'm looking for a welcoming, fun group of mid size, where the kids get to know each other, the moms can support each other, and we do park days, ice cream trips, maybe some field trips, etc. Elementary age for now, but siblings welcome. And I did successfully start up a group when my son was in middle school, so I know it takes time, etc. I'm really feeling ready to do this. I'd like our focus to be on what CS Lewis called "Mere Christianity", in other words, open to anyone that calls themselves Christian, no matter where they fall on the spectrum. This is the description I came up with for the "About" section on the facebook page: "A welcoming, inclusive group for ALL Christian homeschoolers in the Orlando metro area. No matter where you are on your spiritual journey, or what branch of Christianity you identify with, we want to be a safe place for you and your children to experience God's grace, love, and presence. Our focus in on building community rather than on academics, so most activities will be social in nature - park days, field trips, etc. Welcome!"

So, what to call it? I'm in Central Florida, so probably need to include that in the name. Or Orlando, although strictly speaking we'd be meeting in the Orlando metro area, not necessarily in Orlando proper. 

Mere Christian Homeschooler of Central Florida - but will people misspell Mere or not know what it means?

Inclusive Christian Homeschoolers of Central Florida 

Orlando Open Christian Homeschoolers

Fellowship of Christian Homeschoolers - Orlando

Christian Homeschool Community of Central Florida

Simple Christian Homeschoolers?

Something else?

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2

I'm cynical. If you want like-minded Christian homeschool friends, you need to have a statement of faith that people sign (not that others won't sign it if they want in your group).  If you have 'wherever you are on your Christian journey' folks, I think you will have a very wide range of beliefs, and you might not find the entire group to be the ones you want to bounce ideas off of. There will be a subset of the group that it sounds like you would want to be your 'sounding board' group. If I've misinterpreted your post, ignore my comments! I'm cynical because I've seen non-Christians be willing to sign those Statements of Faith so they can get into a group. I'm cynical because the Statement of Faith groups in some areas try to not let the inclusive groups come to homeschool days (at indoor jump places, etc) - I guess so their children aren't corrupted by the non-SoF group's children? Not sure. I find the exclusivity and trying to eliminate all contact with others to be so distasteful. 

Is there some reason not to start an inclusive group? From that group, you could still find your subset of people that you would like to bounce ideas off of.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I'm cynical. If you want like-minded Christian homeschool friends, you need to have a statement of faith that people sign (not that others won't sign it if they want in your group).  If you have 'wherever you are on your Christian journey' folks, I think you will have a very wide range of beliefs, and you might not find the entire group to be the ones you want to bounce ideas off of. There will be a subset of the group that it sounds like you would want to be your 'sounding board' group. If I've misinterpreted your post, ignore my comments! I'm cynical because I've seen non-Christians be willing to sign those Statements of Faith so they can get into a group. I'm cynical because the Statement of Faith groups in some areas try to not let the inclusive groups come to homeschool days (at indoor jump places, etc) - I guess so their children aren't corrupted by the non-SoF group's children? Not sure. I find the exclusivity and trying to eliminate all contact with others to be so distasteful. 

Is there some reason not to start an inclusive group? From that group, you could still find your subset of people that you would like to bounce ideas off of.

Because I already have friends who are not Christian, and am specifically looking to meet some Christian friends for myself and my kids. The christian mom groups have no homeschoolers, and the homeschool groups I'm part of have no christians. Looking to bridge the gap. 

As for a statement of faith, if my church doesn't require signing one I don't see me needing it for a park date, you know? 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 11

Christianity is inclusive.

To be exclusive, you're going to have to drop Christian from the name.  It's an oxymoron.  If you're not going to be Christlike and welcoming, then don't pretend it's following Christ.  If you want a specific focus of biblically taught values, then put those values in the description.  But note that those values aren't the sole propriety of bible authors or of Christ himself, but what all should have.

• Like 1

Would you be interested in a group that includes religious people of other faiths? This may not be what you are looking for but for myself I find I often have much in common with, say, a Muslim mom for whom faith is a significant aspect of their life even though details of our faith may be quite different and these are also people who often are excluded from Christian groups but don't necessarily fit in well in secular group.

In that case something like "Interfaith homeschoolers of Central Florida" might work. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

To be exclusive, you're going to have to drop Christian from the name.  It's an oxymoron.  If you're not going to be Christlike and welcoming, then don't pretend it's following Christ.  If you want a specific focus of biblically taught values, then put those values in the description.  But note that those values aren't the sole propriety of bible authors or of Christ himself, but what all should have.

Did you mix up inclusive and exclusive here?

It is reasonable to want to have a group that is inclusive to those who share a characteristic such as faith in Christ--those who identify as Christians, as followers of Christ, and exclusive of others if fellowship with other followers of Christ is the goal. That is a different thing that simply wanting fellowship with people with similar values. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maize said:

Did you mix up inclusive and exclusive here?

It is reasonable to want to have a group that is inclusive to those who share a characteristic such as faith in Christ--those who identify as Christians, as followers of Christ, and exclusive of others if fellowship with other followers of Christ is the goal. That is a different thing that simply wanting fellowship with people with similar values. 

No, I didn't.  I find the idea of Christians turning their backs on fellow men to be repulsive and frankly, something people need to start calling others out on.

This isn't Christlike.  Its intent is to keep others away and create a bubble in which a layman judges whether someone is "Christian" enough to associate with them.  So, no.  I think a real time of self-examination is in order to decide how to follow Christ before expecting others to blindly follow bad judgement.

Church is for people with similar values, but there isn't a requirement to sign a statement of faith to attend or even to answer to anybody to sit in a pew.  The idea that homeschoolers should have to have more restrictions than a church is something we should all question.

• Thanks 1

Just now, HomeAgain said:

No, I didn't.  I find the idea of Christians turning their backs on fellow men to be repulsive and frankly, something people need to start calling others out on.

This isn't Christlike.  Its intent is to keep others away and create a bubble in which a layman judges whether someone is "Christian" enough to associate with them.  So, no.  I think a real time of self-examination is in order to decide how to follow Christ before expecting others to blindly follow bad judgement.

Church is for people with similar values, but there isn't a requirement to sign a statement of faith to attend or even to answer to anybody to sit in a pew.  The idea that homeschoolers should have to have more restrictions than a church is something we should all question.

But Katie isn't turning her back on anyone, she is looking for fellowship and is not being exclusive--she wants a group for all who identify as Christian. 

She isn't asking for a statement of faith, in specific contrast to the many homeschool groups that do.

I am not understanding your argument.

• Like 5

I think a statement of mission instead of a statement of faith might make sense for this group. Something where you say, this is why I felt called to do this. This is why I want all Christians to feel welcome and safe. These are the values I think are core to all Christians. This is what I think it means to be welcoming to all Christians. This is why we specifically don't have a statement you need to sign to join. 

I think this is most likely to be successful if you find a cofounder who is of a different sect/attitude/take on Christianity than you. Like, if a group like this was able to say in their mission statement something like, "We're co-founded by a conservative Protestant mom and a liberal Catholic mom who..." then I think it would be clear immediately to a lot of people what you mean by having a Christian group that's not about specific doctrine and is welcoming to all who call themselves Christian.

Fellowship of... is a name that conjures the Fellowship of Christian Athletes for me, which, at least when I was a student, was purely evangelical and not welcoming to, say, Catholics. But I could be off on that. Also, I'm not your intended audience really, so there's that.

• Like 3

As a Mormon, I am so often excluded from Christian groups that I would likely assume that a group calling itself Christian meant to exclude me even though I identify as Christian. Inclusive Christian might work, or something like "All Denomination Christian".

I really like Mere Christian and would get the reference to Lewis but agree that it might be confusing to some. 

7 minutes ago, maize said:

But Katie isn't turning her back on anyone, she is looking for fellowship and is not being exclusive--she wants a group for all who identify as Christian. 

She isn't asking for a statement of faith, in specific contrast to the many homeschool groups that do.

I am not understanding your argument.

But she is. 
She wants her children to have a community, but not with non-Christians.
She wants her children to go on field trips, but not with non-Christians.
She wants her children to play at the park, but not with non-Christians.

It's not how Christ would act.  It's not showing love to fellow man. It's not inclusive. And what the flying flip do park days and field trips have to do with someone's faith journey?  Nobody should have to answer to anyone else on how they believe unless they are seeking to be taught. 

The time for Christians to act in such a hypocritical manner is done. It's over.  It's not okay and nobody should say that they're forming a group so their children can only climb the jungle gym with those who have been deemed worthy.

So be exclusive, but don't call it a Christian thing to do. It's not.  If you want to focus on teachings of the faith, then focus on things to teach the faith.  Don't be that person who is so exclusive because you're going to be representing your faith in a terrible manner.

Jesus said let the little children come to me.  He did not look them over to deem them worthy enough to be in His presence and shoo the others away.  The best way to represent Christianity is to BE the person Christ wants you to be and focus on the values held in high esteem.  People don't have to pass your benchmark test.  Ever.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Well, what I mean is "inclusive of all demonizations and branches of Christianity" but that seems a bit wordy to put in the title. 

33 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Um, what? I would not be judging if anyone is "christian enough". That's up to them to decide. Did you read the part where I said that wherever you are on your spiritual journey you are welcome? There would be no more restrictions than a church - I actually specifically said that I don't want a statement of faith or anything like that. 

27 minutes ago, maize said:

As a Mormon, I am so often excluded from Christian groups that I would likely assume that a group calling itself Christian meant to exclude me even though I identify as Christian. Inclusive Christian might work, or something like "All Denomination Christian".

I really like Mere Christian and would get the reference to Lewis but agree that it might be confusing to some. 

Yes! The Christian homeschool groups here often have a statement of faith that is worded to exclude Catholics, Orthodox, and Mormons. I don't want that. And the Catholic groups are going to be specifically about praying the Rosary and going to group confession, which is not going to work for say, a Baptist. 

16 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

But she is. 

I

What on earth makes you think that? My kids already DO have a community of non Christians. Their best friends are not Christian and come from an atheist household. My best friends are agnostics and atheists. That's the families we hang out with. The field trips they currently go on are with children who are non Christian. They already play at the park with non christians. They already DO all those things. They already are living a life that is inclusive of people of other beliefs or no particular belief. I do not think it is wrong that I would ALSO like them to have time with some kids that are Christian in addition to the time they spend with non christian kids. I'd like them to have a group where we can acknowledge and celebrate say, Easter, with other Christians. Where the moms can share how faith is lived out in their homeschool. That doesn't mean I'm cutting off all non christians from their life, giving up all my good friends, etc. I don't think Jesus would be angry about me wanting to find some ways for my kids to have a Christian community, in addition to their secular community. I just don't want them growing up being the ONLY kids they know that go to church, celebrate Christian holidays, pray, etc. I don't think that is exclusive or hypocritical. 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I'm feeling led to create a new homeschool group for my area. My brain dump about this includes the following thoughts:

-my friends are mostly atheist/agnostic/pagan and I'd like some Christian moms to bounce idea off of, find support with, etc

-my kids have no Christian friends other than the kids they see at church on sundays

-the homeschool groups in my area are either secular or Christian but of a certain flavor (evangelical or Catholic and it is hard to break into the Catholic one)

-there are lots of hybrid schools, co-ops, etc but not much at all for just socializing these days. 

So, basically I'm looking for a welcoming, fun group of mid size, where the kids get to know each other, the moms can support each other, and we do park days, ice cream trips, maybe some field trips, etc. Elementary age for now, but siblings welcome. And I did successfully start up a group when my son was in middle school, so I know it takes time, etc. I'm really feeling ready to do this. I'd like our focus to be on what CS Lewis called "Mere Christianity", in other words, open to anyone that calls themselves Christian, no matter where they fall on the spectrum. This is the description I came up with for the "About" section on the facebook page: "A welcoming, inclusive group for ALL Christian homeschoolers in the Orlando metro area. No matter where you are on your spiritual journey, or what branch of Christianity you identify with, we want to be a safe place for you and your children to experience God's grace, love, and presence. Our focus in on building community rather than on academics, so most activities will be social in nature - park days, field trips, etc. Welcome!"

So, what to call it? I'm in Central Florida, so probably need to include that in the name. Or Orlando, although strictly speaking we'd be meeting in the Orlando metro area, not necessarily in Orlando proper. 

Mere Christian Homeschooler of Central Florida - but will people misspell Mere or not know what it means?

Inclusive Christian Homeschoolers of Central Florida 

Orlando Open Christian Homeschoolers

Fellowship of Christian Homeschoolers - Orlando

Christian Homeschool Community of Central Florida

Something else?

So, you're wanting to start a homeschool support group. Good for you. 🙂

Personally, I don't care for "inclusive." At all. It's a funky word used in this situation. I know it's been used for many years now to describe support groups which do not have any sort of religious emphasis, but IMHO it's a misnomer. I have known of "inclusive" support groups which were happy to be include anyone except practicing Christians. So your description would be fine without using "inclusive."

And call it a support group, not just a group. Makes it clear that it isn't a co-op. Which means you don't have to add that in the description ("so most activities will be social in nature").

Don't try to make the name say it all. 🙂

Central Florida Fellowship of Christian Homeschoolers.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

But she is. 

It's not how Christ would act.  It's not showing love to fellow man. It's not inclusive. And what the flying flip do park days and field trips have to do with someone's faith journey?  Nobody should have to answer to anyone else on how they believe unless they are seeking to be taught. 

The time for Christians to act in such a hypocritical manner is done. It's over.  It's not okay and nobody should say that they're forming a group so their children can only climb the jungle gym with those who have been deemed worthy.

So be exclusive, but don't call it a Christian thing to do. It's not.  If you want to focus on teachings of the faith, then focus on things to teach the faith.  Don't be that person who is so exclusive because you're going to be representing your faith in a terrible manner.

Jesus said let the little children come to me.  He did not look them over to deem them worthy enough to be in His presence and shoo the others away.  The best way to represent Christianity is to BE the person Christ wants you to be and focus on the values held in high esteem.  People don't have to pass your benchmark test.  Ever.

Katie is clearly not doing this.

People can and do belong to and interact with different groups.

When my family moved from a part of the country where Latter-Day Saints were a tiny minority of the population to one where ours was the dominant faith I intentionally sought out a homeschool group that was mostly non LDS because I wanted my children to have a broader and more divers group of friends.

And I sought out other groups and friends who do belong to my faith so that my children and I can have a community in which our faith is shared and supported.

Wanting both can be entirely healthy. Humans need community, and a community with shared faith can be important. This is why I don't resent the fact that some people form groups with statements of faith that exclude me--it is OK that they have groups that support their specific faith.

I don't think that only ever interacting within one's narrow faith community is healthy but that is not at all what Katie is proposing.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bambam said:

The homeschool group we were a part of basically said " If you look at the Nicean Creed, it has the basics of what our group is founded upon. Not that you HAVE to agree with every point of it. but please know that this is what we stand for and this is what your children will be exposed to as members of the group. We ask that you respect these things. "

• Like 4

I think you have to keep in mind that inclusive implies open to everyone in most contexts, but what you want is a group for a specific type of homeschoolers: Christian.  So I wouldn't use the term inclusive for your group because it will cause confusion.

I think Ecumenical Christian Homeschoolers would be precise.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bambam said:

No, you don't have to require people to sign a statement of faith.

My support group had "Christian" in the name; people who heard of us and came to a Moms' Night Out or a park day already know that there was some sort of religious thing going on and felt that they could handle it. At our Moms' NIght Out, we handed out a sheet of paper that described who we were, that we had a three-person membership team, that these three people had to be in agreement with our very basic statement of faith, and that we didn't require members to sign the statement of faith, although they needed to be aware that most members agreed with it. We purposely decided not to require people to sign a SOF; we knew of support groups which did, and once in awhile new members gave us grief over not requiring it, but we steadfastly refused.

FTR, an "inclusive" support group would be "secular," a perfectly good word which describes something that is not religious, although I suppose someone could argue that point. In fact, someone could just start a support group, without identifying it as "inclusive" or anything else. It has happened before.

• Like 1

If you want people who are interested in finding a group to be able to find you on the internet, just make sure that the name has the main things you think people will use as search terms (I would say Orlando, Christian, and homeschool) in it. Cutesy names sound good but might be hard to find.

It took me two years to get in contact with our local homeschool group because all i could find online was an outdated website with old phone numbers. I finally met someone who had b en involved in the old group who could tell me how to find the new group on Facebook. Way harder than it had to be.

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

... I may or may not be allowed to name things around here anymore.

This reminds me of my husband's way of naming things...our dog is "Tracker Von Roscoe Hole Diggington of Nosingtown". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

“Mere Christianity” Homeschoolers of Orlando

personally, I know what mere means and would be attracted to a group referencing cs Lewis title   And it’s easy enough to google if anyone is thinking that a mere is a swamp

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, SKL said:

I don't remember if you have tried or joined AHG, but where I live, our AHG group has so many homeschool families that it becomes to some extent the social entity you are looking for.

I did, but we were the only homeschool family there. Also in our area there was a lot of racism in the adults. it was not a good fit. 

• Sad 4

Based on several friend’s experience running a Christian group for homeschoolers-  You might want to do a mission statement/rules instead of a statement of faith.  Something to tell everyone they all all welcome and we may not agree with each other but that is ok.  No telling/showing others that their interpretation of their faith is wrong or harassing. 

She had a few families join who were evangelicals who started telling everyone each interpretation of the Bible or church was wrong.  Even to the point of bringing highlighted papers to show them or having their kids tell the other kids they were going to hell.  They were removed but damaged had been done.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Based on several friend’s experience running a Christian group for homeschoolers-  You might want to do a mission statement/rules instead of a statement of faith.  Something to tell everyone they all all welcome and we may not agree with each other but that is ok.  No telling/showing others that their interpretation of their faith is wrong or harassing. 

She had a few families join who were evangelicals who started telling everyone each interpretation of the Bible or church was wrong.  Even to the point of bringing highlighted papers to show them or having their kids tell the other kids they were going to hell.  They were removed but damaged had been done.  

Agreed. I actually just typed up both a FAQ and a statement about how there is to be no disrespecting of other's faith, traditions, etc. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Well, what I mean is "inclusive of all demonizations and branches of Christianity" but that seems a bit wordy to put in the title. 

I thought “demonizations” was a very funny typo / autocorrect! 

7 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Um, what? I would not be judging if anyone is "christian enough". That's up to them to decide.

Many wordings with “Christian” or “faith” would seem not to include me the moment I saw them.  I would assume I probably would not belong

“Mere Christianity” would feel like it fit something that I might fit.    It was a meaningful book in my life, so would mean something to me that there could be a common connection with anyone else referring to the book

Ecumenical might also be a word that could draw me in rather than make me feel like I would not belong  like: 

Ecumenical Homeschooers of Orlando    

But it’s an even “harder” word than “mere” and would be less positive to me than the CS Lewis reference 

some wordings like “Friends in Faith” I basically like too, but  might suggest unintended specific groups such as Quaker Friends    

8 hours ago, maize said:

Similar here.  I’m not Mormon, but assume most “Christian” groups don’t include my denomination. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Because I already have friends who are not Christian, and am specifically looking to meet some Christian friends for myself and my kids. The christian mom groups have no homeschoolers, and the homeschool groups I'm part of have no christians. Looking to bridge the gap. 

As for a statement of faith, if my church doesn't require signing one I don't see me needing it for a park date, you know? 

I'm going to be brutally honest. Take it for what it's worth. If you found a group that excludes all of your current friends, they are likely to either slowly or explosively withdraw from that friendship and you'll end up with no social outlet.

What might accomplish your goals is joining in all the youth or family activities your parish has. If you're Catholic, join the scout troop at the local Catholic school. IME, the school parents are much more welcoming than the homeschool Catholic groups. Of course, your area might be different. If you're Episcopalian, you might have to church shop to find a church that's got an active youth ministry and that aligns with your religious ideals. Another possibility is to look for a Highlands Latin coop group. They are Mere Christianity types although they're probably going to be socially conservative. 

Good luck in the hunt!

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

If you use the term faith many people will assume it means different faith groups: Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, etc. "Are you a person of faith?" where I come from is the same as asking, "Do you practice a religion?"

I could see that being a question, but people could easily look up / click on the "about us" button and see that it's a Christian thing.

Where I live, it would be assumed "faith" was about Christian faith unless it was combined with a word negating that assumption.  Of course this probably varies by region.

1 hour ago, chiguirre said:

I'm going to be brutally honest. Take it for what it's worth. If you found a group that excludes all of your current friends, they are likely to either slowly or explosively withdraw from that friendship and you'll end up with no social outlet.

If a friend of mine founds a group for dog owners, I'm not going to withdraw my friendship because I'm not a dog owner.

If a friend of mine founds a group for Muslim homeschoolers, I'm not going to withdraw my friendship because I'm not Muslim.

If a friend founds a group for people who like rap music I'm not going to withdraw my friendship because I don't listen to rap.

If a friend founds a group for moms whose kids attend the local elementary school I'm not going to withdraw my friendship because my kids don't go to that school.

Would you withdraw your friendship under any of those circumstances? Many of my friends participate in groups and affiliations that I wouldn't belong in for one reason or another. Many lead groups that I am not a member of.

The only kind of friend who would drop someone for investing in something important to them that doesn't happen to involve that friend is  one who never was a friend in the first place. I personally imagine better of Katie's various friends.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I'm going to say no, because it made me snicker immediately. Simple Christians, heh.

11 hours ago, maize said:

Would you be interested in a group that includes religious people of other faiths? This may not be what you are looking for but for myself I find I often have much in common with, say, a Muslim mom for whom faith is a significant aspect of their life even though details of our faith may be quite different and these are also people who often are excluded from Christian groups but don't necessarily fit in well in secular group.

In that case something like "Interfaith homeschoolers of Central Florida" might work. 

Or, if you don't go this route, I think Interchristian could work. It's not super common wording but I think it's easily figured out. At least enough to click on the About button. 

10 hours ago, maize said:

Agree, and the same for Catholics. But probably not All Denomination because non-denominational. 

I don't think most people will get Mere Christianity. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, katilac said:

Or, if you don't go this route, I think Interchristian could work. It's not super common wording but I think it's easily figured out. At least enough to click on the About button. 

I like InterChristian, it does convey to me the idea of inclusivity for all Christians.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ellie said:

So, you're wanting to start a homeschool support group. Good for you. 🙂

Personally, I don't care for "inclusive." At all. It's a funky word used in this situation. I know it's been used for many years now to describe support groups which do not have any sort of religious emphasis, but IMHO it's a misnomer. I have known of "inclusive" support groups which were happy to be include anyone except practicing Christians. So your description would be fine without using "inclusive."

And call it a support group, not just a group. Makes it clear that it isn't a co-op. Which means you don't have to add that in the description ("so most activities will be social in nature").

Don't try to make the name say it all. 🙂

Central Florida Fellowship of Christian Homeschoolers.

I’m with Farrar. If I saw this name, I would immediately think of Fellowship of Christian Athletes and assume it’s a group for evangelicals.

I'm a questioning United Methodist.   

Even when I was less questioning, any group that says "Christian" and "homeschoolers", I pretty much assume doesn't mean my type of Christian.    Maybe if it was combined with "Inclusive" or "All denomination" or something like that in the title I would look further, but for the most part I usually won't.   I also wouldn't understand what the "Mere Christianity" is referring too and would be unlikely to look further.

Most of the more liberal, non-evangelical Christians I know prefer secular groups.

I agree that most people wouldn't get Mere Christian.  I've read and loved the book and wouldn't automatically assume it was some sort of interChristian/ecumenical Christian group. 

I would assume Fellowship of Christian Homeschoolers is associated with Fellowship of Christian Athletes and therefore evangelical.

Simple Christians and would make me think Quaker because of their convictions about simple living and Christian Friends or Friends of Faith would also put me in mind of Quakers.

If you're among a certain type large evangelical population Grace Homeschoolers could imply to them that the sacramental branch of Christianity (Catholic, Orthodox) and those with differing views on the role of works (Mormons) aren't included. 

You're going to have to be explicit in the name and in the "About Us" section, especially if you live in an area with people of different backgrounds.  A small town in the Bible Belt where everyone has lived for generations and your choices for churches are the Pentecostal church or the Baptist church likely has very conservative evangelical assumptions about things, but a more cosmopolitan area like Orlando will have a wide range of assumptions based on a wide range of experiences with different types of Christianity.

Ok, so, as of now I'm thinking Open Christian Homeschoolers or InterChristian Homeschool Fellowship. 

If you are of the variety of Christian that doesn't usually fit in to the normal christian homeschool groups which of those would make you click on the "about" description?

And if you are the type that DOES usually fit into the normal christian groups, which would not turn you away? 

Of the two you listed in the latest post, I prefer InterChristian.  I think it is more clear than Open Christian.  Open Christian could be interpreted as being open on all moral matters vs open to all denominations.  Not that you are not open, but I assume you do not want people to assume your group is about openness more than Christianity.

I’m thinking InterChristian Homeschool Community. I think that might be the most clear explanation for a total, and avoids the associations that go with the word fellowship. But gives it more of an impression of community and support rather than academic co-op.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Ok, so, as of now I'm thinking Open Christian Homeschoolers or InterChristian Homeschool Fellowship. 

If you are of the variety of Christian that doesn't usually fit in to the normal christian homeschool groups which of those would make you click on the "about" description?

And if you are the type that DOES usually fit into the normal christian groups, which would not turn you away? 

“Open” and “Inter” both evoke huge evangelical (Protestant) megachurches especially with messages tending toward intolerance of  others well ...  I’d feel like I’d be allowed certainly, but ...   can’t quite articulate the but  

In my mind I have an Image of a particular preacher whose name I can’t recall, who I think went to jail, on negative side,  and TV evangelicals  (Tony Alamo or something like that?  With pieces of other tv evangelicals mixed up in my mental images?)

and a Crystal Cathedral (when Robert Shuller was still alive) image

eta or Riverside Church especially under Rev Coffin and the NYC InterChurch center  on  the positive side.

I don’t think I’d click the “about”.  ETA unless something beyond name gave me a positive feeling, a feeling more like the Reverend Coffin than Tony Alamo

Edited by Pen

"Open" and "InterChristian" both confuse me, and the latter reminds me of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.   

Could it be simpler still, with just the key words people are likely to use in an internet search?  Christian Homeschoolers of Greater Orlando? 

On 5/9/2019 at 7:57 AM, Ktgrok said:

Um, what? I would not be judging if anyone is "christian enough". That's up to them to decide. Did you read the part where I said that wherever you are on your spiritual journey you are welcome? There would be no more restrictions than a church - I actually specifically said that I don't want a statement of faith or anything like that. 

Yes! The Christian homeschool groups here often have a statement of faith that is worded to exclude Catholics, Orthodox, and Mormons. I don't want that. And the Catholic groups are going to be specifically about praying the Rosary and going to group confession, which is not going to work for say, a Baptist. 

What on earth makes you think that? My kids already DO have a community of non Christians. Their best friends are not Christian and come from an atheist household. My best friends are agnostics and atheists. That's the families we hang out with. The field trips they currently go on are with children who are non Christian. They already play at the park with non christians. They already DO all those things. They already are living a life that is inclusive of people of other beliefs or no particular belief. I do not think it is wrong that I would ALSO like them to have time with some kids that are Christian in addition to the time they spend with non christian kids. I'd like them to have a group where we can acknowledge and celebrate say, Easter, with other Christians. Where the moms can share how faith is lived out in their homeschool. That doesn't mean I'm cutting off all non christians from their life, giving up all my good friends, etc. I don't think Jesus would be angry about me wanting to find some ways for my kids to have a Christian community, in addition to their secular community. I just don't want them growing up being the ONLY kids they know that go to church, celebrate Christian holidays, pray, etc. I don't think that is exclusive or hypocritical. 

Group Confession!?!!!  Is a thing?  I had no idea.  (Liberal Catholic School Mom who thinks she knows what she’s doing, but maybe not?)

40 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

Group Confession!?!!!  Is a thing?  I had no idea.  (Liberal Catholic School Mom who thinks she knows what she’s doing, but maybe not?)

It's when they get a bunch of priests to come to one parish during Advent or Lent and they hold a short prayer service and then have individual confessions set up around the church. It does expedite the process. It's similar to what they do for First Communion kids for their first confessions. It's not standing up in front of the whole congregation and confessing.

28 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

It's when they get a bunch of priests to come to one parish during Advent or Lent and they hold a short prayer service and then have individual confessions set up around the church. It does expedite the process. It's similar to what they do for First Communion kids for their first confessions. It's not standing up in front of the whole congregation and confessing.

Okay!  I can picture this!  We haven’t done First Communion yet.  (I was raised in a Catholic family, but Mom rebelled and kept her kids out of the Church.  So I know parts really well, and have some gaps.)

8 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Honestly?

One, points for bravery bc most of what I know about local groups has me firmly in the never do that again even if it means to hell with socialization camp. 

Two, I like the idea of a simple Christian Homeschoolers of Metro Orlando, with the mission statement something like we believe the Nicene creed and are welcoming to fellow christians who will respect that.