Menu

How's it going with flooding, Houston peeps? Commiserate here!

chiguirre

Kingwood is completely gridlocked with high water on all of our major roads. Again. This just happened Friday and I spent 2 hours stuck in my car trying to get GW home. I'm very worried about what's coming the rest of this week. I can't do another major flood less than two years after Harvey. My resilience tank is running pretty low.

• Sad 11

Rosenberg-ish here. The underpass to reach our neighborhood from the highway is under water. Our actual neighborhood has street flooding worse than during Harvey, which is alarming, but I expect it to go down once the rain slows/stops. Although they just extended our flash flood warning from 5:30 until 8:15, so, also alarming. The water is staying away from the houses, has not crossed the sidewalk, which means it's doing what it's meant to do (the drainage), so I'm not *worried* per se, but it has the whole neighborhood on edge. Someone took a pic of the school bus dropping kids off, and it's up to the step of the bus, where the door opens. Neighborhood teens are carrying kids on their backs to help them off as needed. ❤️ 

Our area (not our actual neighborhood/subdivision, thank goodness, but our city/region) had the Tax Day Floods in 2015, the Memorial Day Floods in 2016, Harvey in 2017, and then thankfully was spared in the July 4th flooding last year. The Brazos River is forecast to hit mild flood stage.....not sure if that's already accounting for this rain this week, or not. Our personal neighborhood will be fine, I am sure, but....it just has everyone on edge. Three "hundred year floods" (or 500, or 1000) in a row will do that to a city, I guess.....

I *AM* beginning to doubt my husband makes it home tonight, though. The rain is not stopping, which means he cannot get into our neighborhood right now. Friends have offered to take him if he can get to their place. (they stayed with us during Harvey). We shall see. He's in a small sedan, so.....we'll see. 

• Sad 3

ALL of hubby's routes home have a bit of water, or more. He's leaving now from work, to try and beat the dark and make it as close as possible and we can get him in the SUV (or a neighbor in a higher truck). I hope that was the right call......

Chiguirre, how is your area today? 

DH got home safely. Took him an hour; normally a 20 minute drive. We met him at the front of our neighborhood in our CR-V (he has an Accord); one intersection near our home, on the way out of the neighborhood, the water was brushing the underside of the CR-V. Yikes. But, by 10 pm, water was down and we went and retrieved DH's car. We're dry for now. 

Read that the rainfall totals equaled/surpassed the Memorial Day Flood totals, and read this morning that the creek outside our neighborhood, where all our drainage feeds into, crested at 21.9 feet......during Harvey it crested at 21.7 feet. Our detention ponds (there are 3 of them) were all one big pond, and one with the creek at the highest point last night. Haven't seen the ponds yet this morning, but the creek is still over the road in a couple of places. Passable-ish. 

County hasn't updated the predictions yet for the Brazos River.....the last forecast I saw was still based on our area getting 10" of rain over these seven days (yesterday through Saturday).....only, our area got that just yesterday in about a 3-ish hour span. So.....waiting and watching to see what the rest of the week brings. Hoping and praying that the creek has ability/time to drain before the next rain, and that we don't get anything resembling what we had yesterday. The county did declare a state of emergency already. Some neighborhoods had worse than what they had during Harvey, just depending on where the rain fell. 

Our Homeschool Graduation is this Saturday....."Good Lord willing, and the creek don't rise...." Ha. Never thought I'd be using that phrase for something like this.....

Would love prayer that the creek can drain, and that we don't get much more of the rain predicted for this week. It's supposed to rain through Saturday......

• Like 2

We had gone up to the Houston Museum of Fine Arts for the day and got caught in the horrible rain on our way back. We stopped in Rosenberg to wait it out, but we almost got trapped there instead. The restaurant we had taken shelter in told us we had to leave because they were shutting down, so we had to try to find a way to get on the interstate to get home, but almost every way out was flooded. We finally used a backroad after driving through some very flooded neighborhoods. So flooded that dh (who just happened to decide to come with us that day) was visibly shaken up driving our SUV through the water. He kept telling the kids, "Don't ever do this! It's really stupid!" We had nowhere else to go though, since all of the hotels were filling up. We made it home around 7:00 PM after what should have been a much, much shorter drive. I still have water in one of my doors from our adventure yesterday.

• Sad 1

Oh, @Chelli, I recognize that area! Yes, it was horrible. My husband was coming from (what I think is....) your direction to get home, from about 7 to 8. Normally a 20 minute drive took him close to an hour. We're on the other side of the freeway from where you were stranded; someone in our neighborhood was stranded over that side, though, unable to get home. All of DH's routes, alternate routes, alternates to the alternates, etc, were very "iffy" most of the night. He made it to our neighborhood just before dark. 

We're watching things closely. Middle DS has a final exam at his cc tomorrow, weather pending. I hope we can make it. His prof drops the lowest exam grade, but he had the flu during one exam and she advised him then to skip it, would not allow a make-up, and let him know it wasn't a problem as she drops the lowest grade. So, he's already got a 0 that needs to be dropped, which means if *we* get flooded in but the school doesn't close.......ugh. Not sure what happens. :sigh: 

Running out for groceries now, as our detention pond(s) (normally 3 ponds, currently one great big mass of water) haven't receded any further since 9:30........with more rain forecast today, tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday, that doesn't bode well. 

I'm sure it will be fine, but the v.e.r.y.s.l.o.w. draining is starting to kind of freak me out. 

• Like 1

Kingwood is much drier today but the San Jacinto  and a couple of bayous are visibly very high. It's only drizzling now, so fingers crossed. Unfortunately, many homes and the local Catholic school flooded. The areas that flooded this time were the ones that didn't flood during Harvey. Porter and New Caney got hit even harder with more than 10 inches of rain between 11ish to 8ish. Even the Grand Parkway flooded near 59. Ouch.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

Kingwood is much drier today but the San Jacinto  and a couple of bayous are visibly very high. It's only drizzling now, so fingers crossed. Unfortunately, many homes and the local Catholic school flooded. The areas that flooded this time were the ones that didn't flood during Harvey. Porter and New Caney got hit even harder with more than 10 inches of rain between 11ish to 8ish. Even the Grand Parkway flooded near 59. Ouch.

Fingers crossed here, too. Praying the rest of the week is much much much lighter than they predict. The Brazos is at minor flood level already, but so far it's just drizzling here, too, so we'll see. 

Lots of flooded homes in Rosenberg again, too. Some who didn't flood in Harvey, some who did, but got it worse this time. Our neighbor reported 12.5" of rain in her rain gauge yesterday, and most of that was from about 2 to 8. The heaviest was in roughly a 3 hour period from 2:30 to 5:30 or so (which is why the school buses got caught out with kids on them; it was fine, and then it wasn't). Several in our neighborhood had roof leaks, with water coming in through the ceiling &/or down the walls around the windows. 😞 Lots of stalled cars, too, in & around our neighborhood, and all over between Rosenberg & Missouri City area (Sugar Land, Richmond, Sienna Plantation, etc.)

Nothings really draining much at this point, though, so anything more for us will just stay. Grand Parkway down by our side of 59 flooded, too. And 59, in places. DH was skirting high water his whole way home, and same report from neighbors coming from the north.  

And a road that washed out during Harvey is on the verge of doing so again this time after yesterday (762, near the Krogers....I remember someone here had parents or something living in that area....?). 

I'm trying to watch just enough to know what's going on, but not so much that I stay stressed out. 

• Like 2

What's crazy is this one took me totally by surprise. I did get a severe weather warning from the county, but I get those weekly. I didn't hear any warning that this was going to be worse than a week of summer thunderstorms until around the same time friends in Sugarland were reporting being stranded. It's crazy. We didn't get much worse than a normal storm in Copperfield. I'm hoping it calms down for the rest of the week and the storms move away.

We are just across the border in LA off of I-10 and woke up to major thunderstorm at midnight with hail at least golf ball sized that went on for over 20 minutes.  We then had flash flood warnings on our phone go of about 2:00 although we are high and dry.

• Like 1

We drove to Kingwood yesterday for my niece’s birthday weekend. We’re staying in a hotel in Humble and it rained most of the night. 

We have a college tour scheduled at St Thomas’ later today. I haven’t heard yet if it’s still on and if we can get there and back. 

36 minutes ago, brehon said:

We drove to Kingwood yesterday for my niece’s birthday weekend. We’re staying in a hotel in Humble and it rained most of the night. 

We have a college tour scheduled at St Thomas’ later today. I haven’t heard yet if it’s still on and if we can get there and back. 

They're closed although the roads are fine for now. It's just that any more rain will cause flooding almost instantly because all of the drainage is full. I'm sorry you're in town at the worst possible time.

42 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

They're closed although the roads are fine for now. It's just that any more rain will cause flooding almost instantly because all of the drainage is full. I'm sorry you're in town at the worst possible time.

Yes, we just found out they were closed. Ah, well. More time with the family. We’ll try to schedule another tour later this summer.

Can I just say, while we are fine now, more is forecast and things could get dicey......all the community colleges, and actually even UH, have cancelled/rescheduled graduations for the weekend.....yet our homeschool group has yet to make a decision one way or the other. It's supposed to be tomorrow. Still no word. 

I get that it would be a HUGE endeavor to cancel/reschedule, but can I just say, it's frustrating not to know, this close to the event? ugh. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Can I just say, while we are fine now, more is forecast and things could get dicey......all the community colleges, and actually even UH, have cancelled/rescheduled graduations for the weekend.....yet our homeschool group has yet to make a decision one way or the other. It's supposed to be tomorrow. Still no word. 

I get that it would be a HUGE endeavor to cancel/reschedule, but can I just say, it's frustrating not to know, this close to the event? ugh. 

I believe that's the graduation my dd and I are supposed to attend. One of her friends is graduating, and I've been waiting to  hear if it's still happening.

5 hours ago, Chelli said:

I believe that's the graduation my dd and I are supposed to attend. One of her friends is graduating, and I've been waiting to  hear if it's still happening.

If it IS the same one, I finally got an email saying it's still happening. You can PM me if you want to confirm it's the same one or not 🙂

Also, now I'm curious what friend and if we know her too or not, LOL!

Edited by TheReader
  • Haha 1