Menu

Is she socialized?

Oh my goodness, I've been homeschooling a long time now and don't seem to get wierd questions etc., but the other night I had a ps mom telling me how lucky my daughter is to be able to ride in the car to Opera practice with these other two ps girls. It must be quite special for her to get that kind of time to talk to other children. If she ever NEEDS a playdate she can come over to one of their houses too. WOW! Imagine, my dd 6th grade gets to talk to a couple 5th graders. ;) This mom proceeded to ask if my dd does any extra-curricular activities and after I gave a simple reply, she said, "Oh, I thought she just sat home all day." No kidding?? OK, I kind of forgot there were even people like that around any more- really. I'm still laughing.

I love your sense of humor. :D It's easier to laugh at the ridiculous--what a twit! I have yet to meet someone who is openly negative about hsing, but being on this board I've learned that there are quite a few people out there who don't get it at all. They don't know what they're missing. ;)

I just had to reply to this! I had a similiar situation in which a few mothers in a waiting room were complaining about kindergarten etc....on and on they went until I finally said "Boy! You girls are describing the exact reasons I started to homeschool!" I did it really nice and in total validation and agreement with them....until one mother looked at me and said "What about socialization?!"

I blinked a couple times blankly...it had been awhile on that one...I remembered what someone here (I believe) once said....to the effect of "No kidding! it's a challenge, we are constantly busy, between family, friends, church, horse riding, swimming lessons, and the various classes offered, I finally had to say "No MORE! We have to slow down!" The lady noddled seriously as if that were the tenor of her question all along.

Later, my daughter (10) says "I wish you would've said "with all her imaginary friends, she's just fine! And then I would've come out from the appointment holding hands with the air and saying "C'mon Guys!!!" Ya. Wish I had thought of it.....she really does have imaginary friends! What would they have made of that???

Ah, well.......

and portions of that choir get to perform in the children's chorus of a local opera company. The 2 other girls are doing the opera for the first time and this is my dd's 2nd performance. The only thing special in her mind is dd gets to sit in the car with other two younger girls. This has nothing to do with being in the opera itself. What a thing my dd gets to sit next to two other girls. My dd brought her mp3 player and was having the three of them record a silly story on her player on the drive home. It is funny, when we ride with some of the other girls home from opera, moms turn on a dvd and the girls just sit there. I've not seen a homeschool mom feel the need to play a dvd with a carload of girls on a 15 minute drive.

and portions of that choir get to perform in the children's chorus of a local opera company. The 2 other girls are doing the opera for the first time and this is my dd's 2nd performance. The only thing special in her mind is dd gets to sit in the car with other two younger girls. This has nothing to do with being in the opera itself. What a thing my dd gets to sit next to two other girls. My dd brought her mp3 player and was having the three of them record a silly story on her player on the drive home. It is funny, when we ride with some of the other girls home from opera, moms turn on a dvd and the girls just sit there. I've not seen a homeschool mom feel the need to play a dvd with a carload of girls on a 15 minute drive.

That reminds me of the elementary school teacher mom who asked me while we were watching our boys at hockey practice, "What do you do for gym?"

"Uh...this." I point to my son skating on the rink with the team (they had practice 2-3 times a week and games 1-2 times a week.)

She told me that, "This doesn't count." She never could really explain why she thought it shouldn't "count."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

These are funny stories!!! I wish I were witty enough to answer these types of questions when they appear in our lives. We know alot of ps families, and even now some say some funny things, but I am not quick enough to reply with anything cute. Too many facts about the states taking up the room I guess LOL!

People really don't understand homeschooling. I guess it just floats below their radar. It's such a HUGE part of my life, I forget that people who don't do it probably never think about it, ever.

I'd homeschooled for over a year when my mil finally figured out that I had to actually PAY for all my curricula. She was flabbergasted. She thought I just went to the school each year and collected my books. I was shocked that she thought that, but I guess Why would she think otherwise?

Later, my daughter (10) says "I wish you would've said "with all her imaginary friends, she's just fine! And then I would've come out from the appointment holding hands with the air and saying "C'mon Guys!!!" Ya. Wish I had thought of it.....she really does have imaginary friends! What would they have made of that???

Ah, well.......

We always wondered what the perfect answer was to that question. Now we can stop looking. This is it! :lol::D:lol: Tell your dd thanks for the laugh (and it really was out loud).

Oh my goodness, I've been homeschooling a long time now and don't seem to get wierd questions etc., but the other night I had a ps mom telling me how lucky my daughter is to be able to ride in the car to Opera practice with these other two ps girls. It must be quite special for her to get that kind of time to talk to other children. If she ever NEEDS a playdate she can come over to one of their houses too. WOW! Imagine, my dd 6th grade gets to talk to a couple 5th graders. ;) This mom proceeded to ask if my dd does any extra-curricular activities and after I gave a simple reply, she said, "Oh, I thought she just sat home all day." No kidding?? OK, I kind of forgot there were even people like that around any more- really. I'm still laughing.

I only hear comments like that from people who don't know us at all. So they're easy to ignore. :D

Unbelievable. This happened to me when dd was in 8th grade. I called the local public school to see if she could get tested for an LD. The guidance counselor said, "She can come in anytime, right? Since you're homeschooled you are home all the time." I cancelled the testing.