Menu

Project managers - what fields?

klmama

Engineering.... my dh had a job he LOVED.  Company went bankrupt or he would still be there.  He doesn't have a project management degree (I think they also offer a certificate that is fairly quick to get) but with his associates in Civil Engineering Design and his experience in construction he got this job--he spent about half the time in his office and half the time in the field.  Field work included obtaining permits and overseeing storm water pollution prevention issues... He would meet at job sites with officials from all sorts of agencies for inspections and whatever.  

• Like 2

Commercial Construction 

Large scale Residential Construction

Mechanical Engineering  (HVAC, Solar, etc.)

Ship building industry

Here in CA, there are "Construction Management" degrees that cover the project managing aspect. If you combine it with a minor or a double major in Engineering Design (not a full engineering degree) or business, it's very marketable. Experience is key also. If your ds wants to head in that direction, summer jobs on construction sites would help.

Edited by Liz CA

12 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Commercial Construction 

Large scale Residential Construction

Mechanical Engineering  (HVAC, Solar, etc.)

Ship building industry

Here in CA, there are "Construction Management" degrees that cover the project managing aspect. If you combine it with a minor or a double major in Engineering Design (not a full engineering degree) or business, it's very marketable. Experience is key also. If your ds wants to head in that direction, summer jobs on construction sites would help.

Ha, see my post above yours.  Exactly what dh was doing.  He didn't have the Construction Management degree, but he had equivalent experience and an Engineering Design degree.

• Like 1

Mine was in computer engineering work (escalation) and my employer paid for my PMI course and certification.

Other areas of my work that I had to use project management skills are:

Military vendor contracts (e.g. Halliburton, Lockheed Martin)

Marketing events (big scale/budget, few days to weeklong)

Logistics (international, e.g. FedEx, UPS, DHL)