Menu

Life of Faith dolls vs American Girl Dolls

BUT what they (2 dds) are telling me now:

The VF doll is softer plastic. Squishy. More of a doll to sleep with than AG.

AG dolls look more like something you can buy at Target implying that the VF doll is prettier.

The hair was different - VF stayed curlier longer.

VF dolls are thinner so the clothes can't go back and forth.

My girls prefer AG just because they were used to AG and AG had more clothes for them.

I know the question was for LOF, not VF but just in case...

BUT what they (2 dds) are telling me now:

The VF doll is softer plastic. Squishy. More of a doll to sleep with than AG.

AG dolls look more like something you can buy at Target implying that the VF doll is prettier.

The hair was different - VF stayed curlier longer.

VF dolls are thinner so the clothes can't go back and forth.

My girls prefer AG just because they were used to AG and AG had more clothes for them.

I know the question was for LOF, not VF but just in case...

I was so glad to read this post! My daughter has fallen in love with the Liberty doll from a catalog, and I thought that it was a Life of Faith doll, too. I see from googling Vision Forum that it is actually what you had gotten. She would love to be able to have a softer one to sleep with. Thanks for the heads up!

I was actually planning on making her some doll dresses. Would any 18" doll pattern work, do you think?

• 2 years later...

My daughter has 3 American Girl dolls and one Life of Faith Doll.

She likes the Life of Faith Doll the best.

One other nice thing about the LOF doll is that their Arms are joined at the shoulder. In other words their hands can come together- AG dolls can't do this. Here LOF doll has lasted longer too. We have had to send 2 AG dolls in for arm repairs.

Ohh glad to see this thread!

I've heard and seen the LoF dolls and the AG dolls and I'd love my dd's to begin their doll collection with LoF dolls and so glad to see that they join hands like praying, I assume? :)

As for sewing...I've sewn AG doll clothing and accesories for 2 years and I just used 18" doll clothing patterns from this book.... http://www.amazon.com/Sew-Baby-Doll-Clothes-Instructions/dp/0873499344

I have not read all of the posts.

I think that Life of Faith may have gone out of business. I know that their line of smaller (14'' dolls) did. It was Faith and Friends (my 2 dds have 6 out of 7 of those dolls). The dolls are gorgeous, I think that Vision Forum used to sell them, but now they have their own dolls along the same lines.

Has your daughter seen both in real life to choose? I don't think it can be decided just from a catalog.

As far as sewing doll clothes, any 18'' doll clothes pattern should work, though you may want to make a "practice run" to check fit since there are slight differences in ALL 18'' dolls (some are a little skinner, fatter, etc). That should only matter if you are making something that is tight or "fitted".

Ohh glad to see this thread!

I've heard and seen the LoF dolls and the AG dolls and I'd love my dd's to begin their doll collection with LoF dolls and so glad to see that they join hands like praying, I assume? :)

As for sewing...I've sewn AG doll clothing and accesories for 2 years and I just used 18" doll clothing patterns from this book.... http://www.amazon.com/Sew-Baby-Doll-Clothes-Instructions/dp/0873499344

yes, for praying :)

We have two of the Vision Forum dolls. I have not heard of LOF dolls. My girls claim that the dolls in the new VF catalog have different faces than the ones that they got from the old catalog...Jennie
My dd would "second" that claim. She received Fidelia (from VF) as a gift a few Christmases ago (and the face is DEFINITELY different from the one she owns). Then she got Molly (from AG) the following Christmas.

I think she enjoys both dolls alike (they share the same doll bed :)) although I think she "connects" with the AG doll more b/c she's seen some of the movies (great movies -- good and clean!), read some of the books, and receives a subscription to AG magazine. Plus, when other friends come over to play, they generally will have their own AG doll.

One pair of friends (they are sisters) just "inherited" some LoF dolls from a girl from our church that was ready to pass them on. They are lovely dolls as well.

• 6 months later...

I'm thinking about getting dd a VF doll for Christmas. What about the hair? That is my real concern. I bought my girls similar, but cheaper, dolls from a local store and the hair is a wreck!! I don't want to spend so much on a doll only to have the hair end up the same way.

Because I'm doll-hair obsessed, I'll comment on this thread...I love when a doll thread rears its zombie-like head!

I have an AG doll, and my daughter has a cheap-o craft store doll that I rewigged with a kanekalon (high-quality polyester type material) wig. We should have just bought an AG doll on ebay o begin with, because I've spent the same amount in the end. :tongue_smilie:

We don't have any VF dolls, and I've never seen one IRL; I'm basing what I say on what I've read online. The VF dolls have rooted hair that's probably actually kanekalon. The rooted hair is more durable, but the scalp shows more easily. VF dolls sometimes have thicker hair, though, so maybe it won't be a problem. Here's the care sheet from VF:

http://download.visionforum.com/documents/dolls/bgc_care_sheet.pdf

My daughter has all of the LOF dolls, some accessories and most of the books. She also has a number of AG dolls. She loves all of them. If I had this to do all over again I think I would have stuck with the LOF dolls because the quality is higher, the prices lower, and the stories more food for the soul.