Menu

Counselor Letter

Mom0012

I am working on my dd’s Counselor letter.  I have a couple of examples of these letters, but would like to find more.  I have the one from the hs2coll yahoo group.  Does anyone have an idea of where I can find a few more examples? It helps me to see different approaches. TIA!

They are intensely personal so you won't find them posted publicly usually, but there are some posters who shared theirs via PM when asked in the past. Have you already checked the pinned threads for previous posts offering to share theirs?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

They are intensely personal so you won't find them posted publicly usually, but there are some posters who shared theirs via PM when asked in the past. Have you already checked the pinned threads for previous posts offering to share theirs?

I will do a search this afternoon.  When I did my son’s a couple of years ago, I think I found a few examples on the hs2coll board, but I only see one now.  I do have a couple of others.  

I'll share a little counselor letter hack in case someone finds this helpful.  I picked this up from another homeschooling mom/friend of mine.  

Normally you are allowed 2, maybe 3, LoRs when applying to university.  Here's a way to sneak in a few more.  

Over the course of my dd's middle school and high school career, we would occasionally receive nice emails from teachers, mentors, supervisors, other moms about something that she did.  I saved these emails over the years and then we were sitting down to write her counselor letter, I incorporated some quotes into the letter.  Now you have a way to sneak in additional outside validation in abbreviated form.  Here's an example I'll make up.

Susie is a caring person who looks out for younger teammates.  Her coach Coachie McCoacherson wrote to me, "I was so grateful to have Susie on the team because she really helped the younger students quickly feel welcomed on the team."  We've also seen Susie help the weaker students in her 9th grade English class, tutoring them in the evenings.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mirabillis said:

MOM0012 - if you're willing to share, i'm all ears. i write mine this summer too. EEK!!

Sure, send me a PM with your email and I will forward it to you.  I won’t be able to do it until tomorrow though because it’s on my dd’s computer and she won’t be back from her class until 11:00 tonight.