Menu

Dorm room water filter pitcher recommendations please

Bambam

Youngest is going to a school in a town where the water system has been known to have problems. She drinks a lot of water, and she would like to take a water filter pitcher and keep it in her dorm room frig (max size 6 cubic feet, so it can be pretty big). Any recommendations for a good water filter pitcher that is relatively inexpensive (i.e. <$40)? 

What kind of water problems? That would be the driver.

Our church is an area with a lot of failed septic systems. We finally went to just bottled water for drinking. Buying a large filtered systems for biological issues was going to be a money and space issue, so that was the solution.

When I was pregnant, I worked in a city that had Civil War era problems with lead water pipes. The best solution for me was to pay monthly for access to the water cooler with bottled water. One of the Brita filters is good for lead, and one not-so-much.

Brita is good, but you need to know what the problem is. We use a Brita 10-cup pitcher because our fridge is only 18-inches wide. The city water has a lot of chlorine and tastes bad, and it deals with that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So -  which water problems again? 
I use a Brita to make our water, which tastes of chlorine, taste better. The filters are pretty expensive, but I really can't stand the taste of chlorine, so we use a pitcher. 
DH had years of wrestling water softener into a water system, and he flatly refused to install and maintain a filtration system under the sink. But I think that might be a better way to go. At any rate, Brita works fine. You do have to change the filter frequently - if you go too long the water tastes funky. With a fresh filter, the water tastes much better. 

Edited by reggid
typos

• 4 months later...

totally a zombie thread...

But since are updating ...

We ended up signing up my son for Instacart and he has 24-cases of bottled of water delivered for 4.00 and includes a generous tip (since it's only an 8.00 order) 

The reason is that his U does not advise using the water fountains due to mono and strep so they have "Filling Stations" which are popular here in CA and a very good thing- but the "filling station" closest to his dorm is about a half a block away.  My son never ever drank enough water at home, so we sent him with two gallon jugs which he was then going to fill at the filling station every few days. (you can fill into your brita, or straight into your jug or water bottle)  You are NOT allowed to fill up at the water / soda fountain in the cafeteria for health department reasons (spreads flu, and strep when people touch their used bottle to the little plastic things that push the soda out)

So I get a call that he has a headache for days, feels light headed, out of it...and find out that the entire first two weeks he lived on campus he survived on about 30 oz of water per day....I had him immediately guzzle down two Gatorade and re-hydrate with Gatorade and water for 48 hours and he was fine...and my husband and I decided it was worth the money to allow him 8.00 every two weeks to use Instacart to buy water.  

So just keep in mind, when your kid moves in on moving day, it is worthwhile to take a walk and find out how far the filling stations are and assess whether your kid is likely to go use it.  🙂 If not I suggest Instacart