Menu

Math practice for an adult

I am working with an adult to help her review math skills for a standardized test - basically pre-algebra.  She needs some review of fractions, but mostly needs to get faster at these skills for a timed test.  Are there any resources available online to help with speed in arithmetic?  Either printable or answer online?  No game-like things ... this is an adult.  She has a month until she can re-take the exam.  She has a study guide for the exam, but didn't really work for speed.  Now she needs more resources since she used those up.

Do you know why she is too slow, or what particular areas slow her down?  Is she automatic on her add/mult facts?  I know everything takes my kids longer when they aren't solid on their facts.  (Also, I've noticed a connection between being automatic on mult facts and fraction *understanding* - that if you can't automatically see the relationships between factors, it's hard to even understand what's going on with fractions with unlike denominators.)

If she's solid on understanding (minus fractions), then maybe drill sheets would help.  This site has a ton of free worksheets: https://www.math-drills.com/.  She could start with add/mult facts, then move to add/sub without regrouping, add/sub with regrouping, single digit mult/div, multi-digit mult/div.

Also, as HeighHo pointed out, what's the likelihood of the test format itself being an issue?  Either tech issues in general, or having a lack of scratch paper to work out one's answers on, or other issues inherent to a computer-based math test (vs a paper one).

• Like 2

what about study.com? I need to re-take the Praxis because my last scores were almost 20 years ago and no longer accepted. I signed up for a study.com account and they have tons of tests and classes on there. 

They have a 6th-8th practice and exam section: https://study.com/academy/course/6th-8th-grade-math-practice-review.html#/overview

1 hour ago, HeighHo said:

is she too slow at the math or working with the computer ?

has she used the resources at the test publisher's website?

The publisher has very little out there.  One very short practice exam and that is it.  It is not a widely used test so there really isn't much geared just to that test.  

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

I'd print out something like Ray's Arithmetic to work on paper with the idea that, if she practices the math more, she'll naturally become faster as she's more comfortable. 

Thanks.  I'll pass this on to her.

1 hour ago, forty-two said:

Do you know why she is too slow, or what particular areas slow her down?  Is she automatic on her add/mult facts?  I know everything takes my kids longer when they aren't solid on their facts.  (Also, I've noticed a connection between being automatic on mult facts and fraction *understanding* - that if you can't automatically see the relationships between factors, it's hard to even understand what's going on with fractions with unlike denominators.)

If she's solid on understanding (minus fractions), then maybe drill sheets would help.  This site has a ton of free worksheets: https://www.math-drills.com/.  She could start with add/mult facts, then move to add/sub without regrouping, add/sub with regrouping, single digit mult/div, multi-digit mult/div.

Also, as HeighHo pointed out, what's the likelihood of the test format itself being an issue?  Either tech issues in general, or having a lack of scratch paper to work out one's answers on, or other issues inherent to a computer-based math test (vs a paper one).

I think it is a combination of things.  The test is an online test where a question pops up and you have to solve it on scratch paper and pick a multiple choice answer and it is a very tight timed test - like 80 questions in 30 minutes or something like that and some questions have multiple steps.  There are 8 scored sections, but there are 3 scored sections in the "math section", which also includes non-verbal ... like visual analogies.  Also, this person hasn't done much math since high school so she is just plain rusty.  I don't think it is due to not knowing how to do things, but she was raised in the "calculator generation", so she is accustomed to not doing math by hand.  Calculators are not allowed on this exam.  She did go into this exam cold just to see how it was with the intention of taking it again.  But she was really demoralized by her score.  Another woman took the same exam and she has a finance degree and also scored badly due to it being timed and being rusty.

I'll pass on the resources.

1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

what about study.com? I need to re-take the Praxis because my last scores were almost 20 years ago and no longer accepted. I signed up for a study.com account and they have tons of tests and classes on there. 

They have a 6th-8th practice and exam section: https://study.com/academy/course/6th-8th-grade-math-practice-review.html#/overview

This looks helpful too.  

Thanks, everyone.  

1 hour ago, HeighHo said:

She should borrow a McGraw Hill SAT book from the public library and work the math parts daily until she is fluent.

Visual analogies are easier if she knows what the poser is looking for. Maybe get some test prep sites:

https://www.testprep-online.com/cogat-nonverbal

https://www.educationquizzes.com/11-plus/non-verbal-reasoning/

I think the SAT would be overkill because the test doesn't do much above 8th grade math.  It's just that the calculator generation doesn't do long division or fractions very often.  Nor do they set up word problems very often.  

While the non-verbal portion is part of the standardized test, that score is not used for anything, so she may be better off just doing those as fast as she can and not worrying about accuracy.  She was just thrown by them and took too much time with them.  She looked over the suggestions and I think we have enough resources to get her up to snuff.

2 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

Much of the SAT is 8th grade or below, just do the parts that apply.  I mention it because its no cost at all if you use the library resources.

Its always a good test strategy to move on rather than devote too much time to any one question.

We decided against the SAT math because the upper level math would likely freak her out and distract her from what she needs to get faster at.  It's not that she can't do the SAT math, but she has 30 days, so we want to focus on what will be helpful.  We found a few standardized tests used for nursing school entrance exams that are similar to the content of the test she needs to take.  And these are more commonly used so we have more options of  test prep materials for doing practice tests.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Ds did Kahn academy.  He wasn't strong in math, but decided he wanted to be an engineer so he had to be comfortable with beginning  calculus to start..  He gets his bs in june.

I remember that! I thought it was amazing how quickly he got up to speed (and then some!)

I always figured that your ds was super smart and that he always had a natural ability to be good at math, but that he never cared enough to be bothered with it until he felt he had a good reason to learn it. 🙂