Menu

Yet another European travel question...

Ok, so I'm further into my travel planning, and it looks like we'll probably be flying to Paris and spending 4 nights there, flying to Rome and spending 4 nights there, and then flying home.

I've figured out airfare between the destinations, I've figured out a basic plan for what tours we might like to take in each city, etc. The only thing I haven't figured out is how we'll get from the airport to the hotel in each city. Is it realistic to think that we could take the Metro from the airport to the station closest to each hotel? The Paris hotel says that it's one minute walk to the closest Metro, and the Rome hotel says it's a 10 minute walk to the Metro. (Bear in mind that I live in an area with almost no public transportation whatsoever, so I have zero experience).

It will be just me and my ds(almost 18), and we'll be traveling extremely light--probably with just a largish backpack or med. duffel bag each.

So, is the Metro a possibility? Or should I fork out $ for a taxi? Or should I pay what the shuttle costs to the hotel (it seemed pricey)?

The Paris hotel says that it's one minute walk to the closest Metro, and the Rome hotel says it's a 10 minute walk to the Metro. (Bear in mind that I live in an area with almost no public transportation whatsoever, so I have zero experience).

It will be just me and my ds(almost 18), and we'll be traveling extremely light--probably with just a largish backpack or med. duffel bag each.

I would take the Metro if it was only adults traveling light. Adds to the adventure! I took the taxi in Paris with my 10-and-15 yr olds. We probably could have done the metro, though.

Take the Metro! It's fairly easy to navigate and much cheaper than a taxi. Our family went to Rome last year and only took a taxi to/from airport. The rest of time we relied on taxi/bus system and walking. It's too integral a part of European society to not take their public transportation.

"When in Rome...";)

I'm not addressing your question ~ sorry about that! ~ b/c I'm kinda surprised by your tentative itinerary. In light of the fact that your son is particularly interested in architecture, I think it's a real shame to bypass Florence. I admit I'm biased since I'm not a francophile by any stretch of the imagination...

I lived in France until April and was in Paris and Rome with 2 kids under 6 (1 disabled) in January. Definitely take the metro!!! We did (with lots of luggage, prams etc) The hardest thing with Paris metros and the "turnsides" (cant thing of the correct word), that you walk through. They can be a bit narrow so if your backpack is wide and bulky it can be a bit harder but still doable. (I managed to get a MaClaren pram through) Cant pass the luggage over the top as they are too tall.

Rome is easier to get through the turnsides however be very alert when you arrive at the central station as that is where alot of the muggings happen. (Again not a problem if you are a smart traveller and dont look vunerable.)

Luggage needs to be abled to be carried forward of your body if possible as their are alot of narrow spaces that you will find yourself in. Definitely go with public transport:001_smile:

HTH

Fi

I'm not addressing your question ~ sorry about that! ~ b/c I'm kinda surprised by your tentative itinerary. In light of the fact that your son is particularly interested in architecture, I think it's a real shame to bypass Florence. I admit I'm biased since I'm not a francophile by any stretch of the imagination...

Well, replacing Florence with Paris is certainly still a matter of discussion. While Florence is a gem in terms of art and architecture, my ds seems to find Paris interesting from a historical standpoint. I'm trying to let him take more of a lead in this decision, because this trip is not *supposed* to be about me. ;) (I'm just happily tagging along for the ride!)

Well, replacing Florence with Paris is certainly still a matter of discussion. While Florence is a gem in terms of art and architecture, my ds seems to find Paris interesting from a historical standpoint. I'm trying to let him take more of a lead in this decision, because this trip is not *supposed* to be about me. ;) (I'm just happily tagging along for the ride!)

Good for you for letting him take the lead! Paris has plenty of architectural delights - the Eiffel Tower, the pyramid at the Louvre, Notre Dame, Sacre Couer. While I love Florence, I commend you for letting him choose. He'll embrace the trip more by taking ownership of it :)

Now to your original question. If you're using backpacks, the metro will be very doable. Be aware of your surroundings, don't use those tourist necklace passport holders (easily cut from your neck) and walk quickly as if you know where you're going (even if you don't :)

Edited by readwithem

Keep in mind that Metros (especially in Italy) are a place with lots of pickpockets. Keep a close eye on your stuff. They are also crowded at commuting times. Otherwise they should be fine for getting around the city.

:iagree: We had our first encounter with them at the train station on the way to the hotel (then a couple of kids tried to mug us at Spanish Steps).

That said, i'd still use public transportation.

I loved Florence btw - even though we were at the end of the trip. But i loved Paris too - and if i had to pick one to go to it would probably be Paris. Maybe because i took french in school? LOL!

Be aware of your surroundings, don't use those tourist necklace passport holders (easily cut from your neck) and walk quickly as if you know where you're going (even if you don't :)

Ok, now I have a question about the passport holders. My dsister told me to use the necklace type, but to wear it diagonally across the body, and underneath the shirt. Is there a better way?